Black or chrome?

Black or chrome strap button?

• Black

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Chrome

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivory coloured plastic strap buttons on nearly all my ukes, (even though I seldom use a strap).

When I was trying out various straps, these are what I put on the ukes, & to be honest, I don't even notice them.

I initially hit the black vote button a bit too fast. I changed my mind, chrome is probably better.

When I ordered my first strap button, I was not sure which colour to choose, and the shipping was more than the buttons. So I got one of each. I decided for the chrome first, used the black one on another uke. So I must change my vote to chrome, since I used that first.

About the least interesting thing to look at on a uke is the strap button. I'd go for something that matches the strap so the button is as close to invisible as it can get. Wood or dull bronze for a brown leather strap. The nicer the uke, the more I prefer a black strap and a black button. Set designers and costumers use black for anything they don't want to capture the audience's attention. Encourage people to focus their attention on the front of the uke and the music you're playing on it. Not craning their necks to see what's that shiny thing under your strumming arm.

If there's no audience and it's just me, I'm not interested in seeing a shiny thing under my arm, either. :cool:

I'm rather suprised at the results thus far, respondants choosing black over silver by a margin of 2-1/2 times (20-8). I thought it would be a lot closer. I still haven't made up my mind but I just ordered 2 black and 2 chrome buttons (They came in pairs). Things may change when I get the actual buttons and "dry fit" them to see how they would look but I'm pretty certain of my choices for the two black and one of the chromes. That will give me the chance to hold a chrome and a black button up to the featured uke to see which one I like better or to see if I should keep on looking.

I voted for black because I myself prefer black, but I'm mindful that different people have different tastes and I might like something the majority of people don't. So I would pick what I want, not what people vote for.

Personal style is not a democracy.

I voted for black because I myself prefer black, but I'm mindful that different people have different tastes and I might like something the majority of people don't. So I would pick what I want, not what people vote for.

Personal style is not a democracy.

I agree but in my mind's eye, I'm genuinely torn about what might look better. I can visualize both working so I was curious about what others might think. When I get the pairs of black and chrome buttons I ordered I can hold each up to the end of the uke to decide which looks better. If it's chrome I'll be good. If it's black, I'll need to order another black button. If I don't like either I'll have to hunt for other options.

I have chrome, gold tone and black buttons on some of my ukes. I generally match the tuner finishes. Usually silver or gold but black on my Ko'Alohas. Or, I match the binding or tuner buttons with black or ebony, wood or Ivoroid.

I don't really care if someone admires my strap buttons. I like them to be harmonious with the rest of the ukulele. It pleases me when I look at it and pick it up to play.

For instance, my Oya tenor has a Cocobolo fretboard with a Paua Shell "Vine" Inlay and an Abalone rosette. So I got a pair of cocobolo strap ins with abalone dot inlays. I think it worked great. (Koa would have also worked.)

11 Strap Pin.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice, a great match!

Right now my plans are to match the strap button with the binding/purfling and tuner buttons on 2 ukes, the hardware on the 3rd and the 4th one is still up in the air.

I agree but in my mind's eye, I'm genuinely torn about what might look better. I can visualize both working so I was curious about what others might think. When I get the pairs of black and chrome buttons I ordered I can hold each up to the end of the uke to decide which looks better. If it's chrome I'll be good. If it's black, I'll need to order another black button. If I don't like either I'll have to hunt for other options.

That's usually the dilemma solver. I wasn't sure which I wanted to put on my koa Kanile'a, bottom only. It has dark chrome and black in the tuners, but a chrome button stood out too much. After seeing the buttons, a dark black/brown like the color of ebony wood looked the nicest. It matches the bridge, fingerboard, and headstock.

Despite where the poll results would lead me I ended up going with a chrome button. I held up both a black button and a chrome button to the end of the uke and the chrome button ended up looking better with the light, cream colored bindings. Initially I was leaning toward black but even though there was black in the trim where the end button would go, the black button kind of clashed with the overall look and the cream binding. Thank you all for the feedback!

Last edited:
I voted chrome. Do I get to say I told you so? ;)

White to match the tuner buttons

I ended up choosing a blackish wood button for my koa Kanile'a, even though I originally thought black would be too glaring and was thinking brown wood. It just looked right, with black tuners. I'm a visual-type person, interested in various arts and crafts (used to paint), and how things look is important to me. I even have a separate strap for each uke, one that I think visually complements the uke. It's just what I do, lol. So I always have to see things before deciding.

I ended up choosing a blackish wood button for my koa Kanile'a, even though I originally thought black would be too glaring and was thinking brown wood. It just looked right, with black tuners. I'm a visual-type person, interested in various arts and crafts (used to paint), and how things look is important to me. I even have a separate strap for each uke, one that I think visually complements the uke. It's just what I do, lol. So I always have to see things before deciding.

Welcome to my world. I'm the same way. Graphic Design/Illustration/Photography.

Top Bottom