Romero Creations D Ho Signature Baritone Ukulele

Tomthebaptist

Reaction score
Hi Y’all,

Has anyone had chance to test drive Romero Creations 6 string baritone based on Tiny Tenor body? If so, I am interested in what you think. I’ve heard only one sound demo by Daniel Ho. But heck, he can make a strum stick sound like a lute. I really like the concept of the design. Your thoughts much appreciated

Thanks,

Tom

I have one, the sound is very satisfying and build is really good. But as you mentioned the sound is in the player as well and not just the instrument.
I found the scale and form to be ideal for some one wishing to add 6 strings to their current ukulele playing. I tried going to a full size guitar and the jump was almost paralyzing.

That's a hard instrument to come by. I tried to get one but every dealer ran out of stock very quickly. I seem to recall, at least the original design, was a 21" scale a notch better for E to E tuning than the 20 inch 6-bangers.

Yes; 21" scale. I'm glad I ordered mine with strap pins. I find the shape, in this size, is just a bit odd to hold on to. The addition of a strap takes care of that issue for me perfectly.

Waiting for the original strings to wear out a bit before trying some standard extra hard classical strings tuned E-e.

I really love this guitar. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I have one, the sound is very satisfying and build is really good. But as you mentioned the sound is in the player as well and not just the instrument.
I found the scale and form to be ideal for some one wishing to add 6 strings to their current ukulele playing. I tried going to a full size guitar and the jump was almost paralyzing.

This is so good to know. Thank you for responding, Kernel.

That's a hard instrument to come by. I tried to get one but every dealer ran out of stock very quickly. I seem to recall, at least the original design, was a 21" scale a notch better for E to E tuning than the 20 inch 6-bangers.

Hi, Peter. Mike McQueen at Uke Repubic has two coming in, one of which I has been sold to me. You might contact Mike at Ukerepublic.com, don't know if the other is spoken for or not.

By the way, I just discovered your website. Very informative - You do a great job teaching and performing. I too, am a music teacher.

Tom

Yes; 21" scale. I'm glad I ordered mine with strap pins. I find the shape, in this size, is just a bit odd to hold on to. The addition of a strap takes care of that issue for me perfectly.

Waiting for the original strings to wear out a bit before trying some standard extra hard classical strings tuned E-e.

I really love this guitar. Highly recommended.

Thank you for the good advice. I was wondering if that might be an issue. Also, when you restring, I would be interested in what you settle on.

Tom

This model has made it onto the Guitar Salon International shop/website. Its currently listed in the "museum" there. GLI is a site for very fancy and expensive classical guitars, being listed there may be a recognition of where the model is at when it is seen in the guitar world. I doubt it will ever come back down to the level of the average UU member. At present the model seems to be sold out and hard to find, you may need to start looking in the higher end Classical Guitar forums and selling platforms to find a used one. And if another batch is being made, it is likely that ukulele playing buyers will be competing with Classical Guitar playing buyers to buy the instruments.

If you have one, I do not think it is not going to stay in the realms of the guitalele world of GL1s, it is going to be moved into the re-emerging world of small bodied terz and piccolo guitars, which can sell for $10K+ in the higher end. They have a history of 100s of years and custom guitar makers are making them (again?) in the style of their ancient ancestors, with modern improvements. So if you do own one, make sure you enjoy it, but do not make the mistake of thinking that it is a regular run of the mill instrument anymore.

Hi Bill, Thank you for your response. I assume the one you are talking about is the one made by Pepe himself. The one I am speaking of is Romero Creations production model which sells for $850 in the USA

Tom

At present the model seems to be sold out and hard to find, you may need to start looking in the higher end Classical Guitar forums and selling platforms to find a used one. And if another batch is being made, it is likely that ukulele playing buyers will be competing with Classical Guitar playing buyers to buy the instruments.

At this point, I suspect that finding a used DH-6 would be harder than finding a new one.

https://www.guitarsalon.com/store/p...-pepe-sr-signature-quotbaritonequot-spmh.html

This is the one. It looks like the one that was for sale at Elderly for USD$1099.

https://www.elderly.com/products/ro...6-string-signature-model-guitar-uke-with-case

So no, I think it may be the $1099 model. If there is a $850 model, the Classical Guitarists will be even harder to beat on an $850 model.
DHo 6 is not the same as the 20 inch scale 6 string baritone you linked to. DHo 6 looks like the tiny tenor and not a classical guitar.

Yes, Romero Creations instruments have been featured at Guitar Salon International in Los Angeles and rightfully so (they are nice), but that may have to do a lot with the connections of Pepe Romero the luthier who is based in California as well. His Vietnamese import line Romero Creations has a relatively small output, resulting in the comfortable problem of creating more demand than they can currently supply, but they are still "mass produced" in the Far East after all. And while the demand situation has led to some hefty price increases over the past five years (the all Mahogany Tiny Tenors used to be 499$ in 2014, now they are 649$), they will be available from stores like The Ukulele Site, Uke Republic, or Elderly's from time to time.

May I add that I love my XS Soprano and my TT6 guilele for what they are: uniqely designed, cleanly buit, and still realtively affordable, offering a good value in the 500-1000$ range. But they don't come close to the full sound of Pepe's own hand built instruments.

Well thats sorted it out then.

The Romero Creations site calls it the "D Ho 6-String (Nylon)", no mention of the word "Baritone". The only mention of a signature Baritone is the "Signature Baritone 6-String" as far as I can see.

The title of this thread is "Romero Creations D Ho Signature Baritone", maybe the search is being hampered by mixing up the two different product names? It certainly confused me.
Yup, they are 2 different modes. Also DHo scale length is 21 inch and baritone is 20. DHo 6 looks like tiny tenor. Baritone 6 looks like a regular baritone shape. Baritone 6 is a tad bit more expensive. From when I was buying I remember coming to the conclusion that DHo 6 had a stronger lower end sound profile and sounded more guitar like. Daniel Ho the person uses it in his gigs and recordings and I think he is using the creations not a Pepe Custom.

Well thats sorted it out then.

The Romero Creations site calls it the "D Ho 6-String (Nylon)", no mention of the word "Baritone". The only mention of a signature Baritone is the "Signature Baritone 6-String" as far as I can see.

The title of this thread is "Romero Creations D Ho Signature Baritone", maybe the search is being hampered by mixing up the two different product names? It certainly confused me.

Bill, sorry to confuse you. Im glad its all sorted out now. Rakelele, thanks for sorting this out.

Tom

DHo 6 is not the same as the 20 inch scale 6 string baritone you linked to. DHo 6 looks like the tiny tenor and not a classical guitar.

Hey kerneltime… You are not invisible. I see you! :cool:

It is confusing though; RC has a 20" short scale model and a 21" short scale model with both 6 string nylon / and 6 string, steel string mini guitar versions available.

The RC 20" Baritone-6 AKA Pepe Romero SR signature and the 21" DHo-6 AKA Daniel Ho signature.

Last edited:
I have the RC Baritone 6 string. It is the figure 8 shaped baritone body with the 20" scale length. Solorule has the DH-6 which is the Tiny Tenor shape and 21" scale. As we live 30 minutes away from each other we have played both instruments back to back. The DH-6 with its longer scale length and bigger body has better bass response and handles E-E tuning better. You should be very happy with it from a sonic point of view

I have the RC Baritone 6 string. It is the figure 8 shaped baritone body with the 20" scale length. Solorule has the DH-6 which is the Tiny Tenor shape and 21" scale. As we live 30 minutes away from each other we have played both instruments back to back. The DH-6 with its longer scale length and bigger body has better bass response and handles E-E tuning better. You should be very happy with it from a sonic point of view

Hi Dave,

What tension string do you use? I assume you use classical strings.

Tom

Hi Dave,

What tension string do you use? I assume you use classical strings.

Tom

Hi Tom

To play it E-E use the highest tension classical guitar strings. Because of the short scale length even those will seem a bit floppy on the 6th and 5th string. Oasis high tension florocarbon strings were a good match.

Also Pepe Romero has a set made specifically for those instruments. Baritone Guilele Set : SET UG2, see attached picture.

1594253007297902164278730777997.jpg

Top Bottom