New at inlay, with questions...

Quick question on installing frets after inlaying (mop). Will the fret barbs crack the shell inlay when installing the frets? If so, are the shell inlays clearances from the fret slot first, how?
Thanks

One solution if you are worrying about chipping/cracking your inlay would be to file off the fret tang barbs. Very easy with a dremel tool and grinding wheel. They should more or less drop in the slot. Then just glue in your frets.

One solution if you are worrying about chipping/cracking your inlay would be to file off the fret tang barbs. Very easy with a dremel tool and grinding wheel. They should more or less drop in the slot. Then just glue in your frets.

Thank you for the sound advice. After posting this question I did some more research and found a number of ways to address this but, I like the approach you suggested best.

Good ideas,, Bob!

I have learned a lot in this first effort, and mostly from the wisdom you all have shared with me. Thank you!!

I've been tied up on other things for a few days and so didn't get back to "report in". I am startled by the clean look of the inlay --just like you all had said! (The second pic was after a wash of mineral spirits.)

IMG_20200702_210538__01.jpg
IMG_20200702_205324__01.jpg

Good ideas,, Bob!

I have learned a lot in this first effort, and mostly from the wisdom you all have shared with me. Thank you!!

I've been tied up on other things for a few days and so didn't get back to "report in". I am startled by the clean look of the inlay --just like you all had said! (The second pic was after a wash of mineral spirits.)

View attachment 128324
View attachment 128325

Good job Chuck. Easy, right? Get some more experience though before attempting something like Bob Gleason showed though. ;)

Good job Chuck. Easy, right? Get some more experience though before attempting something like Bob Gleason showed though. ;)

Thank you, Chuck!

Hopefully I will remember to put in some practice on anything new that I try. It's one of my many tricks two stretching a project that would take a normal builder 30 minutes into a project that I can accomplish in 3 days. :) like I always say, I may not be fast but I sure am slow!

I am startled by the clean look of the inlay --just like you all had said!

Yup, not that hard and very satisfying to do. Just don't tell anyone you bought the rose off the shelf. If they ask about it just look off into the distance and sigh showing how much work it was.

Has anyone used the straight pearl purfling pieces for fret markers? I would like to use paua pearl bars so you can see the marker from the side and top of the fretboard. I am curious if you use a jig to route out the channel or do it freehand?

I've done that (on a fretless bass, not a uke). I used a sharp chisel to cut the "slots" for the piece to sit in. It worked well and wasn't as challenging as I'd thought.

Not the best photo but you get the idea. I like the way it turned out, as you said they're visible from the side and the top.

IMG_20190422_160509.jpg

Top Bottom