Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 437 - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Default Season 437 - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

SEASON 437 — Ain’t No Mountain High Enough

I’ve had this on my list of possible Seasons themes since the Seasons were in the double digits. And I’ve been putting it off for years. But now, the Seasons have gone on for so long that I think it’s almost negligent that we’ve never done this theme.

This week’s theme is mountains.

The song can be about mountains. For example, one of the only Yes songs that I have any idea what it’s about is “South Side of the Sky” (because I heard Jon Anderson explain it in a podcast). The song is about a mountaineering party freezing to death on a mountainside and waking up warm in heaven. Cheery, right?

Me Playing “South Side of the Sky” in 2012

The song can also have the word “mountain” in the title, or have the name of a specific mountain like Everest or Pike’s Peak in the title. The word “hill” is not good enough this Season. We have a higher calling.

I thought about banning the song “Rocky Mountain High” for this week. I won’t do it, but know this: When I was a teenager in the ‘70s, every guy I knew with an adenoidal voice and a guitar would play every John Denver song to death. I eventually got sick of every one except “Annie’s Song” and “Calypso”, and remain sick of them to this day.

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
    • The video must say that it is for the 437th Season of the Ukulele.
    • Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in hearing you perform a song on the ukulele.
    • Original songs are always welcome.
    • Collaborations are always welcome.
    • Collaborations on original songs? Hell, yeah!
    • Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, razzafrazzin’ ruzzafruzzin’ Season 436 still has a day to go, goldang it!)
    • The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, July 5.
    NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS!
    • My plan at the moment is to give prizes to three winners who will be chosen randomly. I usually give t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST

To start us off, this is a song by Republic Tigers:

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

i remember singing this one at school ... (do kids still have singing at school nowadays?)

paoriginal for season 437

In the Dutch Mountains (Which really don't exist ) by the Nits.
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40, Richwood
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.

I found this one today. I don't know much Jakob Dylan but whenever I dip in I like what I hear. Photos are from a trip I did in Tibet a few years ago. From Lhasa across the Tibetan Plateau to Everest Base Camp. If you make it to the end you can see the tent I stayed in with a Tibetan family and Everest. Cheers Jim!

thank you for this week Jim
    an original song for the season

gonna spend my second song early as it is a dylan senior song to bookend John's dylan junior

The ascent has begun! We've established Base Camp with 5 songs in the first two hours.

There's a British band I like called Public Service Broadcasting that writes music to be played accompanied by archival film footage. They play the films behind them when they play live. This is the video for their song "Everest".

Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

From "stop the world I want to get off" I feel like that sometimes.

Not sure if this song escaped from the UK, but back in 2000 it was everywhere here, and at children's birthday parties & school discos for years afterwards. That was because the band who recorded it, S Club 7, were created for a kid's TV series, so they had a ready-made audience when their records came out. As someone with children who were 4 & 1 back then, I can only just bring myself to listen to this song again.

Anyway, it tells us to "climb every mountain higher"

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Thread Information