Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concert uke designed for Low G?

Default Concert uke designed for Low G?

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am wanting to buy a concert uke, but I want to string it Low G.

I realize there are Low G string sets, but non-baritone ukes are typically set up for re-entrant.

Because of this, nut slots, etc., may have to be altered to better fit Low G.

I'd like to avoid having to do this or make modifications. If possible, I'd love to acquire a concert uke already set up for Low G. Purposefully designed for Low G.

Does such a beastie exist?

For a bit of background, I've played uke for over 20 years, have owned and played all sizes and varieties. I currently own a gCEA soprano and a DGBE baritone.

Thanks so much!

PS-- I don't have much of a budget.

Some wound Low-G strings may allow you to mount one without modification.

Sorry, I don't have any specs offhand, but in another thread about Low-G String options some of the strings mentioned included the diameters.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-sting-options
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

A good shop will mount a low-G string on a ukulele that you buy from them, often for no extra charge if they are doing a setup anyway. They should make sure there is room in the nut or widen the nut if necessary. They will also make sure there are no intonation issues with the saddle.

The Cocobolo concert comes with low G,if you can win the chance to purchase it in the lottery. I am sure the Ukulele Site can set you up with low G on a concert. I am sure other good uke shops can as well.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

I second the advice about buying from a shop that sets up the ukes for you and having them put in a low G on whatever concert you like.

Call Mim.

One of my Ohana concerts is set up Low G. She did a wonderful job with it.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Some concerts have large enough bodies to be resonant with a low G but many are not. Chances are that the g will sound and feel like a lumpy thud. You can check how the C string sounds - if it is crisp and snappy then chances are it can handle low G, if it sounds notably more lumpy than the E and A strings then I would not put a low G on that uke.

Don't worry about the nut, if it is a bit tight just fold up some sandpaper and expand it a bit. This won't be a problem if you decide to go back to re-entrant.

Mele does almost all their concerts low g, even their lower priced import brands. But any good shop could set it up for you that way, as others have mentioned.
    Last edited by badhabits; 06-28-2020 at 03:39 PM.

If you order from Mims or the ukukelesite.com, they will do all the work of setting it up for a low g of your choosing free of charge. (Well you might have to pay for the string.)

I have an Ohana PKC-25G all-solid-hog pineapple concert with low G. Not thumpy but the low G does tend to be a tiny bit prominant in the sound mix. I adjusted my playing accordingly -- not too difficult.
    Last edited by bellgamin; 06-28-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: improve clarity
    Make UU smile: Support the Forum.

Thread Information