Cocobolo Concert Ukulele 2020 Review

Zudzie

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I almost never post here, but this site has been an invaluable resource to me during several buying experiences, so now I would like to return the favor and talk about my new Cocobolo Ukulele concert. I bought this ukulele directly from Kevin Keith in Nicaragua through their online lottery. If anyone has been discouraged by the lottery before, this was my first time entering and I got one (!!!) so I wish you luck!

If you would like the specs for Cocobolo Ukuleles, look here: https://www.cocoboloukuleles.com/the-details

Here are my initial impressions

Appearance: Stunning. The cocobolo wood is well figured and the builder made excellent use of the contrast with the sapwood. The satin finish is wonderful to look at, the teak neck is distinctive and beautiful, and the plated headstock pulls the whole piece together. They go to the trouble to put a plate on the back side of the headstock as well, which is an often overlooked detail that I appreciate. I’m not sure if they use finish on the inside, or if cocobolo is just that oily, but the inside of the ukulele appears finished.

Feel: For those of you who don’t know, all Cocobolo Ukuleles come with 12” diameter radius fretboards. The fretboard is a joy to move around and the neck feels wonderful. The action is low and intonation is perfect. It’s a joy to play. The weight is significant compared to other high end ukulele’s I’ve played-- but it's not uncomfortable in the least. The neck is on the thicker side (Pono-like), but the nut and string spacing remind me a lot of my Koaloha with its bound fretboard. It’s hard to put down.

Sound: This is why I’m writing-- I don’t think any of the sound samples I have heard really did this instrument justice. Cocobolo is often compared to Brazilian Rosewood, but I’ve never heard an all rosewood ukulele, except for this 8 year old recording from HMS https://vimeo.com/40958657 The cocobolo ukulele has a complexity to the sound that I didn’t know I was missing, but I immediately fell in love with. It has a smooth, powerful low end, and sparkling trebles. It’s leans toward modern. I don’t own one, but a comparison I feel comfortable drawing is to a Moonbird- which is also made of rosewood, but with a spruce top. Long story short, if you were hesitating because of the cocobolo soundboard, don’t. It’s wonderful. There’s also a side port, which I enjoy and I think helps the ukulele fill a small space exceptionally well. The stock strings are Worth Browns which I don’t feel there is any need to change. They fit the instrument soundly. (Sorry). The ukulele is loud, but not boomy. I like to test my ukuleles with an open E chord (I don’t know why) and this uke sings out beautifully.

Before I bought, I was torn. I wasn’t satisfied with sound samples I saw on youtube. There are some wonderful examples, but I have no idea what they’re using to record, and that affects things. I knew it would be a wonderful ukulele with premium specs (radius fretboard, sound port) but like many of you, I didn’t love not getting to see and hear the uke until it arrived. I have no regrets now that I have the ukulele in hand. Without hesitation, I recommend you also take the risk, and give these ukuleles a shot. The sound is impressive and the looks are stunning.

Oh. And there are maracas.

Congrats.
I also recieved my Cocobolo concert yesterday. My first experience with them.

I will back up your statements.
They look even better in real live.
The sound is impressive. Like they deliver on both warmth, punch and clarity at once, with a nice volume.
Some ukes with nice looking wood and a warm tone will be a bit muddled. Not this one, it rings right out.

The neck is indeed very heavy. I was a bit in chock when first I held it. Almost feels like a baseball bat in my hand. Time has yet to show if the weight will be a problem. I havent attached a strap yet, dont know how the weight distribution will affect it.

But for now I just find the uke stunning!

Zudzie,
I really enjoyed your review. It's hard to be objective after receiving an instrument like this, isn't it? When I got mine, and started playing it in jam sessions and festivals, it started being hard to be humble, too. Mine almost kinda plays itself, compared to other ukes, even more expensive ones. Everybody wanted to play it, and asked where I bought it.
Mine is an early Cocobolo model, a one off, with a chamfered armrest. It isn't perfect, some critical measurements were done wrong, but I think the builders have corrected that.
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. I own others, but this one is played 95% of my playing time.
Oh, and congratulations!

Nickie, thank you. I’ve read a lot of your posts in my research about cocobolo ukuleles, so thank you for your opinions as well! How is your cocobolo holding up after a few years?

Ukingviking, Congratulations to you as well. All the concerts they had up in the last lot were beautiful. I’m glad to hear your enjoying your cocobolo as well.

Nickie, thank you. I’ve read a lot of your posts in my research about cocobolo ukuleles, so thank you for your opinions as well! How is your cocobolo holding up after a few years?

Ukingviking, Congratulations to you as well. All the concerts they had up in the last lot were beautiful. I’m glad to hear your enjoying your cocobolo as well.

I am enjoying reading these reviews ,
Never heard of this one , but I want one , but I am looking for a tenor ; is there really a need of a tenor or a concert will do .
I play charango and guitar a little.

Never heard of this one , but I want one , but I am looking for a tenor ; is there really a need of a tenor or a concert will do .
Since demand for Cocobolo ukes has gone down a bit they have a bunch of ukes on sale on their store. There are a couple of tenors as well.

There's a beautiful tenor on the cocobolo ukulele website for an amazing price right now!

Top Bottom