Koaloha KTM-00 or aNueNue UT200

I have both the ukuleleS in this thread, as well as many higher end and more expensive ones. They are both fine.
I would pass on either of these and get the rebel Pluto That Mim has on her site in a heartbeat
Picked it up a few weeks ago and it blows away anything in this class
Sorry to screw with your heads but it is what it is...

I have both the ukuleleS in this thread, as well as many higher end and more expensive ones. They are both fine.
I would pass on either of these and get the rebel Pluto That Mim has on her site in a heartbeat
Picked it up a few weeks ago and it blows away anything in this class
Sorry to screw with your heads but it is what it is...

Wow, I didn't really give the Pluto much attention, even though I really like Rebels. I figured it was just a fancier version of their cheese (spruce/mahogany) models, made with acacia instead of mahogany. Actually, I thought I recalled seeing some Pluto models with mahogany, although I can't seem to find them now.

Can you elaborate on why you think the Pluto has them both beat?

As for the other two, I'm thinking about picking up a KTM if I can find one I like, but I have to admit, the recent surge in popularity of Anuenue and the Moonbird in particular has me curious.

Edit: I was mistaken; the variation in Plutos wasn't acacia and mahogany. According to a retailer, it was the fretboards: some have mango, and some have padauk. Apparently only 10 of these Plutos were made altogether.

Last edited:
lol. I wonder when this waltz is going to end. I'm curious who is going to be the victor. I totally get the back and forth feeling. I don't think AnuenueUSA has anymore UT200 in stock. Not sure who else would even carry them.

I'll cast a vote for the KTM-00 or the KTM-25 (even though I orig was on the fence). The new body design and body being joined at the 14th fret sounds really good. Damn UAS is real....

Last edited:
Uke Like the Pros store also has the Rebel Pluto listed. However, it's more expensive than either of the two tenors discussed here. I've no doubt it's a fantastic instrument as well of course. Still, I'll reiterate that the Moon Bird is the best quality uke I've played and owned. Can't go wrong with that one.

KoAloha Tenor over the Moonbird Tenor for me. I own both, and both are great instruments, but the KTM-00 plays and sounds better.

I figured it was just a fancier version of their cheese (spruce/mahogany) models, made with acacia instead of mahogany. Actually, I thought I recalled seeing some Pluto models with mahogany, although I can't seem to find them now.

So are the Plutos stepped up versions of the spruce opios?

Rebels and Opios definitely have similar characteristics, but the construction isn't the same. Even though they're made by the same folks, to me they seem more similar to KoAloha than to each other.

I thought the Pluto was just a fancy version of their regular production ukes, but if it's on par with the KTM and Moonbird, I guess you'd say it's a stepped up Opio in the sense that a Hawaiian-made KoAloha is a stepped up Opio.

Rebels and Opios definitely have similar characteristics, but the construction isn't the same. Even though they're made by the same folks, to me they seem more similar to KoAloha than to each other.

I thought the Pluto was just a fancy version of their regular production ukes, but if it's on par with the KTM and Moonbird, I guess you'd say it's a stepped up Opio in the sense that a Hawaiian-made KoAloha is a stepped up Opio.

Yeah i totally agree, similar characteristics but different build. I meant the comparison in that both have the spruce top and acacia back/sides but the pluto I would presume has a different build style maybe different bracing, etc.

Interesting to see. Rebel and Koaloha are two brands for me that I could just keep buying.

This sounds like a bit of an underrating for the Pluto. You might be able to say that the Rebel Double Cheese is a step up from the Opio, but the Pluto is beyond that. There's a lot of good competition in the market at that price range. But with only 10 made, I'm surprised there are any Plutos left out there.

Last edited:
This sounds like a bit of an underrating for the Pluto. You might be able to say that the Rebel Double Cheese is a step up from the Opio, but the Pluto is beyond that. There's a lot of good competition in the market at that price range. But with only 10 made, I'm surprised there are any Plutos left out there.

I think the Opio offers certain similarities to Hawaiian KoAlohas that the Rebel doesn't, and at a lower price point, so I can see the appeal. My first serious uke was an Opio. But the Rebel is definitely a step up from the Opio. On the other hand, eyedoc's report is the first I'm hearing about the Pluto, and with so few made, I doubt it's going to get the kind of attention that the Moonbird has been getting recently.

No more, last one went yesterday....

Was that the one you linked from Mim?

There's still one available at Uke Like The Pros. I've never been interested in buying from them, so I can't speak to what they're like as a retailer, but it's available there for anyone who's interested.

Last edited:

I simply meant that they shared the same woods. Like if you wanted a spruce acacia combo that was nicer and a higher price point, the pluto would be a contender. Not trying to say that they're the same instrument or the price isn't justified. I have a rebel, an opio and a ktm and they're all great, just not always on the same field.

Last edited:
Well, after doing a ton of research between the Moon Bird and the KTM, I decided to go with..... the Rebel Pluto :eek:

The decision surprised myself and shocked my wife after I made her listen to hours (according to her) of sound samples between the other two ukuleles. I made the sudden shift in direction due to a few reasons:

• It was available. Between the Moon Bird and KTM I had decided to go with the Moon Bird but the USA distributor was out of stock. I believe they are getting more in later this month, though
  • It was limited. I still hope to get my hands on both the other ukuleles at some point, but because so few of the Rebel Plutos were made it would be more difficult to get one later
  • It was sold by Mims. I'm new to the ukulele buying world and it seems like you can't go wrong with Mims; her reputation is great
  • It caught my eye. Most of all, it simply caught my eye. I like the overall look of the ukulele and the materials used and the few sound samples I've heard sound great. It just felt like a good option

Thank you to everyone that weighed in with their thoughts or shared audio samples. As I mentioned, I still really like both the ukuleles in this thread and hope to get my hands on both at some point, but for now I'm looking forward to receiving the Rebel Pluto. I know the quality of the uke will far exceed my skill to play it, but I'm excited to have fun with it and keep learning. Thanks again.

you won't be disappointed.
I have all three, and like the Rebel the best...
Ron

Looks like a great choice. I think very highly of rebels. Thanks for letting us know what to you ended up choosing!

And give us some sound samples when you get it :shaka::shaka::music:

There’s a Pluto that went up on the hms site this past week. They must have released a couple more from the series of 10

....and it’s now gone

Last edited:
Top Bottom