Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luthiers, Please Tell Me What This Is

Given the warm/humid climate of Hawaii, could it be mold growing on the HHG that was used?

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Nope. Not me... Did you ascertain whether it was polishing compound or glue? It could very well be an amateur glue job like Duane said that went bad and if so, yes, not a cheap fix at all. Not at all.
    Hi Sequoia. Whatever it is, it's hard. Definitely not polishing compound. At this point, I am just putting the ukulele back in the case and seeking a return/refund. The seller had claimed it was in "very good" to "excellent" condition, and given the issues, I'd just like to get my money back. I do hope the seller will be more forthcoming if he relists it.
    "The ukulele is the thinking man's violin." - Krusty the Clown

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearUkes View Post
    I have seen this kind of thing many times over my years of repair. IMO that is not any kind of lacquer, but either Yellow glue or Gorrila glue. It happens when the bridge or fingerboard starts to lift, and the owner shoves a bunch of glue into the opening, wipes it flush and then lets it dry. The same goes for the crack in the neck by the nut. They think this will hold, but it won't and looks awful. The only way to really fix this is to remove all the glue and then get the bridge, fingerboard and neck crack properly repaired. If I were you, I'd return it. It won't be a cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    For the nut area, if the surface is smooth, then it appears that moisture may have gotten under the finish.
    If the surface is not smooth, then it is probably glue not cleaned up.
    Thank you both for weighing in! Having ascertained that the stuff around the bridge isn't something on the surface like polishing compound, I've contacted the seller and am trying to convince him that this ukulele does not qualify as "excellent condition". Fingers crossed that he's reasonable.

Do you know who is the luthier that built that uke?

Benjamin
    Benjamin Bui
    theukulelerock@gmail.com
    Please feel free to write me an email just to say "Aloha" or anything else that I could possibly help you.
    Mahalo!

Hey I will join in on the fun, and I am with Pete on this one. It looks to me that you have an overly thick finish that is breaking down around joint areas. It may have been made worse by inadequate glue clean up before the finish was sprayed on. Look at the top of fretboard around the fret ends and at the bridge where the strings are tied. You see first how thick the finish is, and then that there is similar looking damage in places where there is no glue joint.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    Hey I will join in on the fun, and I am with Pete on this one. It looks to me that you have an overly thick finish that is breaking down around joint areas. It may have been made worse by inadequate glue clean up before the finish was sprayed on. Look at the top of fretboard around the fret ends and at the bridge where the strings are tied. You see first how thick the finish is, and then that there is similar looking damage in places where there is no glue joint.
    Brad
    Thank you, Brad. That was actually part of my original question/thought: whether this was just an overly thick finish that was failing. I did notice the finish around the fret ends flaking off. It bothers me, but I wanted to ask this knowledgeable group because I wanted to know if my disappointment was warranted, or if I was being ignorant or irrational.

Well, the seller agreed to let me return the ukulele, so I think everything will be all right (at least for me). I thank all of you luthiers for sharing your expertise. It made it possible for me to knowledgeably press my case for a refund.

I am afraid I do not have too much else to offer, I see this as a case where reasonable people may disagree. As I make my living doing this, my policy is simple, if at any time a customer is not happy with their instrument, they can return it for a full refund, including shipping costs if returned undamaged in a reasonable time.
    Brad
    Bradford Donaldson
    Kekaha, HI and Cannon Beach OR
    bradfordj48@outlook.com

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzBD View Post
    I am afraid I do not have too much else to offer, I see this as a case where reasonable people may disagree. As I make my living doing this, my policy is simple, if at any time a customer is not happy with their instrument, they can return it for a full refund, including shipping costs if returned undamaged in a reasonable time.
    Brad
    This was an ebay seller, who didn't know the history of the ukulele. He was not the builder or even the first owner. I purchased it because he said it was in excellent condition, and there was nothing in the photos to suggest otherwise. But when I got it in hand, the issues were glaring to me. But I hoped ... and now believe ... that he wasn't trying to deceive as much as he was just not aware of why that glue residue/failing finish was an issue. He said he never paid it any attention. Ah well. Now he will.

Thread Information