Are you waiting on any special ukes? What and When?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?
If so, what and how long have you been waiting?

There are 2 ukes I’m waiting to see.

I’m in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19” scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special ‘star’ fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it’s thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. I’m hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I’ve had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I’m also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.

yes, but I can't say much yet. :) For now, I'll just say that will be soprano body, and I'm hoping we can find a really gnarly piece of bear claw spruce for the top. Further details are TBD. It won't start before September as "my guy" is in the midst of a move and the shop won't be set back up until then.

I’ve just sent off details for a Beansprout alto, coming in late September. Maple and spruce, re-entrant tuning.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy.

Hmmmm. I believe that I've taken that same pledge before!!
Two lovely ukes coming your way Hodge...………...can't wait for the reviews.

yes, but I can't say much yet. :) For now, I'll just say that will be soprano body

Same for me. Ordered a custom soprano in March, should be finished some time after summer. I don't want to reveal much either as it will be somewhat special, at least personally for me, so I'll do a NUD once it arrives.

Have an interesting Tenor on the way - all English woods. Cedar of Lebanon top, sweet chesnut sides, boxwood bridge/fretboard and Beech rosette/neck/binding. Should be an interesting looking instrument as it'll be all light-colored woods, and hopefully sound good too. Just seen one photo so far, hopefully delivery in 6-7 weeks...

My all carbon fiber Klos Tenor should be here soon. Promised for mid June, but not surprisingly it (like everything else in the world just now) seems to be running late.

Yes Hodge, I'm waiting for either a spruce top Koolau tenor or an I'iwi tenor. No, I haven't ordered either one and couldn't afford it right now, but I'm waiting. 8 ) Sorry, friend, couldn't resist. Your tenor and baritone up-and-comings sound fabulous and I'm looking forward to hearing your samples. Best.

Planning a custom build, still deciding on wood choices. These all sound wonderful, please post pics when you get them!

If there were a hall of fame for people who find and sample new great ukes, you'd have your own wing. I look forward to hearing about your experience with these ukes.

There are 2 ukes I’m waiting to see.

I’m in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19” scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special ‘star’ fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it’s thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. I’m hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I’ve had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I’m also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.

Oh!
1. Baritone and soprano pair from Beau Hannam
2. tenor and baritone from Steve Grimes
3. Hive tenor
4. another wunderkammer
5. Tenor from Ono maybe 2
6. Dog hair Collings tenor

I placed an order with Peter Morande (https://www.morande-instruments.com/) in late March for a custom concert ukulele. It's going to have a Port Orford Cedar top and highly-figured Oregon Myrtle back and sides. We're looking at a mid-July completion and I'm excited as hell! :drool:

Kind of strange that nobody has acknowledged what must be $30K + in 9 new incoming instruments-
That is one badass case of UAS, my friend--
Oh!
1. Baritone and soprano pair from Beau Hannam
2. tenor and baritone from Steve Grimes
3. Hive tenor
4. another wunderkammer
5. Tenor from Ono maybe 2
6. Dog hair Collings tenor

Kind of strange that nobody has acknowledged what must be $30K + in 9 new incoming instruments-
That is one badass case of UAS, my friend--
It is spread over 2 years and I plan to sell a lot of my existing ukes but yes UAS..

I'm desparately wanting an Anuenue Koa Bird (3K series, preferably Concert, but I'd take a Tenor).... almost pulled the trigger on a Concert when Anuenue USA opened, but I am on furlough from work, and couldn't justify eating into my dwindling savings for one. I adore Lightbird & Moonbirds so much I am sure I would adore a Koa Bird. I would definitely go for the 3K series as I would miss the Moon motiff on the 1Ks, and the 5Ks are too blingy for me.

There was an awesome one-of-a-kind Pigeon Tree Tenor Spuce/Macassar Ebony listed on HMS a while back that I sure wish I had grabbed... now I am waiting in vain for it to appear on the marketplace here, lol. https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...m-adirondack-spruce-macassar-ebony-tenor.html.

I'd really love to see Anuenue do a bird with a spruce or cedar top and macassar ebony body. I'd be all over that, even if it meant a year of ketchup sandwices for lunch and ramen dinners!

Last edited:
Wunderkammer "May" soprano and a tenor from another English builder. The soprano will be an ultra traditional build in every sense of the word, honestly can't wait.

Top Bottom