Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you waiting on any special ukes? What and When?

Default Are you waiting on any special ukes? What and When?

Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?
    If so, what and how long have you been waiting?

There are 2 ukes I’m waiting to see.

I’m in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19” scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special ‘star’ fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it’s thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. I’m hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I’ve had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I’m also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

yes, but I can't say much yet. For now, I'll just say that will be soprano body, and I'm hoping we can find a really gnarly piece of bear claw spruce for the top. Further details are TBD. It won't start before September as "my guy" is in the midst of a move and the shop won't be set back up until then.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

I’ve just sent off details for a Beansprout alto, coming in late September. Maple and spruce, re-entrant tuning.

[QUOTE=Doc_J;2234215]Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy.

Hmmmm. I believe that I've taken that same pledge before!!
    Two lovely ukes coming your way Hodge...………...can't wait for the reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    yes, but I can't say much yet. For now, I'll just say that will be soprano body
    Same for me. Ordered a custom soprano in March, should be finished some time after summer. I don't want to reveal much either as it will be somewhat special, at least personally for me, so I'll do a NUD once it arrives.

Have an interesting Tenor on the way - all English woods. Cedar of Lebanon top, sweet chesnut sides, boxwood bridge/fretboard and Beech rosette/neck/binding. Should be an interesting looking instrument as it'll be all light-colored woods, and hopefully sound good too. Just seen one photo so far, hopefully delivery in 6-7 weeks...

My all carbon fiber Klos Tenor should be here soon. Promised for mid June, but not surprisingly it (like everything else in the world just now) seems to be running late.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Yes Hodge, I'm waiting for either a spruce top Koolau tenor or an I'iwi tenor. No, I haven't ordered either one and couldn't afford it right now, but I'm waiting. 8 ) Sorry, friend, couldn't resist. Your tenor and baritone up-and-comings sound fabulous and I'm looking forward to hearing your samples. Best.
    Craig

Beau Hannam Spiral Rosette tenor
    Moore Bettah tenor "Ki Uke"
    Kinnard mahogany tenor
    Koa Works tenor
    Koa Works concert
    Pohaku custom mahogany concert

Planning a custom build, still deciding on wood choices. These all sound wonderful, please post pics when you get them!
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    KoAloha KTM-00 tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Pono ATC-PC acacia cutaway tenor
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

If there were a hall of fame for people who find and sample new great ukes, you'd have your own wing. I look forward to hearing about your experience with these ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?

There are 2 ukes I’m waiting to see.

I’m in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19” scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special ‘star’ fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it’s thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. I’m hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I’ve had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I’m also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.

Thread Information