Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you waiting on any special ukes? What and When?

I am having one made from redwood from a table my grandfather built around 65-70 years ago. Will not be started until Fall due to builder in process of moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Boofa View Post
    I am having one made from redwood from a table my grandfather built around 65-70 years ago. Will not be started until Fall due to builder in process of moving.
    That’s amazing. Will you show us photos when it’s done?

I ordered a Kamaka Deluxe Cedar top tenor last January with an Aug arrival estimate. BUT, the Kamaka factory has been shutdown since March 23rd, so I’m stuck in limbo for now, darn.
    Kinnard Tenor, Kamaka HF-3, Kamaka HF-3 DC, Jonathan Mann SEU-T, Kala's TEM/SRT-CTG-E, Cordoba 20TM, Sparrow Long Neck Concert

Waiting on a LoPrinzi 8 string tenor ordered in May. Hoping it's ready in time for our trip thru Tampa in the fall

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?
    If so, what and how long have you been waiting?

There are 2 ukes I'm waiting to see.

I am in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19-inch scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it's thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. Hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I've had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I am also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.
    Update:

Still in the queue for both of these special ukes. Neither will be completed in 2020, but fairly certain 2021 will be the year I play them.

Pat Megowan has kindly sent a stream of build progress pictures and had excellent suggestions to improve some design details. The level of detail and thought he puts into his creations is truly amazing. My uke is named Vivienne, Pat doesn't number his instruments, just names. The body has been built and is currently at the finisher and we've worked out some head plate revisions. So, we're really close to having it completed.

Talked with Scott Wise in mid September (hadn't contacted him in 6-months), and was shocked to find he had to have a heart valve replaced in late Spring. I was relieved to hear he was recovering well, but obviously had been unable to work for some time. He was hoping to get back to building my baritone in November. But, I assured him to take as long as he needed. Haven't seen any build progress pictures in a year, when the top rosette was inlaid in December 2019.

It's good to have things to look forward to during this COVID-marred year.

I'm sure there a few of us patiently waiting on a special uke.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Update:

Still in the queue for both of these special ukes. Neither will be completed in 2020, but fairly certain 2021 will be the year I play them.

Pat Megowan has kindly sent a stream of build progress pictures and had excellent suggestions to improve some design details. The level of detail and thought he puts into his creations is truly amazing. My uke is named Vivienne, Pat doesn't number his instruments, just names. The body has been built and is currently at the finisher and we've worked out some head plate revisions. So, we're really close.

Talked with Scott Wise in mid September (hadn't contacted him in 6-months), and was shocked to find he had to have a heart valve replaced in late Spring. I was relieved to hear he was recovering well, but obviously had been unable to work for some time. He was hoping to get back to building my baritone in November. But, I assured him to take as long as he needed. Haven't seen any build progress pictures in a year, when the top rosette was inlaid in December 2019.

It's good to have things to look forward to during this COVID-marred year.

I'm sure there a few of us patiently waiting on a special uke.
    Cripple Creek, Synergy, and Antica Ukuleleria Sacco.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

@Doc_J
    Any update on your Vivienne from Pat Megowan? I admire Pat's work and am super excited to see your uke!

Thread Information