Are you waiting on any special ukes? What and When?

I am waiting for a tenor uke from my friend Beau Hannam I sent Beau some crazy looking Claro Walnut and Carpathian Spruce for the build I was lucky that Beau used the woods for this build...it will be fully loaded with arm bevel,cutaway bevel,maple neck,Rodgers tuners, the rosette,headstock,fingerboard,bindings,bridge all Brazilian Rosewood I was lucky when a friend let me have her spot on Beau's build list so I should be getting this uke soon...

been fun and exciting working with Beau…

https://www.facebook.com/beauhannamguitars/photos/2566404586991190

Last edited:
Ordered a custom Libero from Antica Ukuleleria. Originally ordered in 2019 shortly before Marco decided to change his specialty line (then he went off and got married!) Re-ordered in early 2020 when he started up his refreshed offerings. Then CoVid hit Italy and his community was locked down for nearly three months. He couldn't even go to his shop from home. A few weeks ago his travel restrictions were lifted and my delivery date is tentatively August. Libero custom Concert. Solid red spruce top (from the Paneveggio forest, the same wood Stradivari used in his violins!) solid maple sides and back, Pear wood radius-ed fretboard, with an Oil finish. So far the USD to Euro exchange rate is holding steady, so my savings will match the ready date!

https://www.anticaukuleleria.com

Last edited:
I am waiting for a Romero Creations D Ho six string. This is a 21” scale six string baritone in a Tiny Tenor shaped body, but bigger. I understand these are hard to get, but Mike McQueen at Uke Republic, has two coming in this week and I have spoken for one. I expect it sometime next week.

Tom

I’ve got a build slot for a Beansprout in October...still undecided on woods, but leaning towards myrtle & curious about maple. Will be a fun first custom experience to celebrate my 40th birthday!!! Super excited.

I’ve got a build slot for a Beansprout in October...still undecided on woods, but leaning towards myrtle & curious about maple. Will be a fun first custom experience to celebrate my 40th birthday!!! Super excited.

Ours will probably be near siblings. I was initially attracted to myrtle but my playing is probably better served by a harder back and a softer top, so I’m doing maple and spruce.

I'm waiting happily for a custom ukulele (tenor) created for me by Dominator. Dom crafted this very special instrument for me as a gift after our home and business were destroyed in the Camp Fire 18 months ago (Paradise, California). I'd hoped to pick it up from him this spring but the whole Covid-19 thing messed with all of those hopes. It'll be arriving within the next few weeks courtesy of FedEx--but when things are safe, I'm taking that lovely instrument *back* to Dom's place so I can thank him and Joanne in person--and take some photos with the luthierr--and hear *him* play it (that way I know there will be good songs waiting inside it for me to capture some day, too, when I build up my skills).

Yes.

I couldn't afford a well-known luthier, so I have a hobby builder making one for me. I'll refrain from mentioning him by name until I know if he's any good. If I'm happy with his work, he's going to get a lot of free advertising from me.

Anyway, a few years ago, I was cutting down some trees in order to build my house. I was pleasantly surprised by the colour in some of them so I had them milled. I couldn't afford to do anything with them for a few years. Anyway, I saw this guy on Facebook and I thought I'd take a chance and see if he could make anything out of this wood. I also sent him a slab of King Billy pine for the top. Anyway, my uke is now under construction and it's looking good so far. I'll let you know what the end product is like.
107091288_731871217565513_6245765812096475864_n.jpg
107266090_642802336331291_689992214608714353_n.jpg

A couple months ago as I was surfing eBay tenor ukes, I saw an absolutely beautifully designed one from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, who has made me a few ukes in the last 5-6 years. I asked if he could make it as a bass uke, 22.75" scale and sent a mockup I made. He said yes, about 90 days and $850 including express shipping.

It's a carved hollow body with solid spruce top, solid walnut and maple back panels, solid maple neck and solid Macassar ebony details that should be ready in about 35 more days. He doesn't install electronics, so I'm going to have my main repair place do that, Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA. I have the electronics, gold Gotoh tuning machines and Thundergut strings.

BWA Custom carved frt-bck.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
I'm waiting happily for a custom ukulele (tenor) created for me by Dominator. Dom crafted this very special instrument for me as a gift after our home and business were destroyed in the Camp Fire 18 months ago (Paradise, California). I'd hoped to pick it up from him this spring but the whole Covid-19 thing messed with all of those hopes. It'll be arriving within the next few weeks courtesy of FedEx--but when things are safe, I'm taking that lovely instrument *back* to Dom's place so I can thank him and Joanne in person--and take some photos with the luthierr--and hear *him* play it (that way I know there will be good songs waiting inside it for me to capture some day, too, when I build up my skills).

I'm sorry for the loss that you had, but that this ukulele is being built as a gift for you in that aftermath is the kind of thing that reminds me that there are wonderful people in this world.

I hope that the ukulele brings your great joy.

I am having one made from redwood from a table my grandfather built around 65-70 years ago. Will not be started until Fall due to builder in process of moving.

I am having one made from redwood from a table my grandfather built around 65-70 years ago. Will not be started until Fall due to builder in process of moving.

That’s amazing. Will you show us photos when it’s done?

I ordered a Kamaka Deluxe Cedar top tenor last January with an Aug arrival estimate. BUT, the Kamaka factory has been shutdown since March 23rd, so I’m stuck in limbo for now, darn.

Waiting on a LoPrinzi 8 string tenor ordered in May. Hoping it's ready in time for our trip thru Tampa in the fall

Are you waiting for a special / custom uke?
If so, what and how long have you been waiting?

There are 2 ukes I'm waiting to see.

I am in a queue for a wonderful grand tenor (19-inch scale) from Pat Megowan. I knew it was going to be a long wait and was told so before I sent my deposit in April 2018. The top will be sinker redwood, the back and sides will be of The Tree mahogany. African Blackwood burl will adorn the headplate. Larry Robinson will be making the special fret markers for frets 7 and 12. Pat is a brilliant luthier, among his many other talents. One of the very special things he does is to have a graduated top where it's thinner towards the edges. That makes a lot of sense to me. Hoping to play this uke before 2021 arrives.

Scott Wise is in the process of creating one his classic Australian Blackwood baritones for me. I love the rope binding he makes. I swear this will be the last baritone that I buy. I've had a couple tenors from Scott that I adored. Got in the queue early November 2019 with a deposit. He started on it in December 2019, but had to put it aside due to other spring commitments. Not quite sure where it is in the build process, or when to expect it. I am also hoping to see this one before 2021.

Patience is essential in life. But, It helps to have a lot of other nice ukes to play while you wait.

Update:

Still in the queue for both of these special ukes. Neither will be completed in 2020, but fairly certain 2021 will be the year I play them.

Pat Megowan has kindly sent a stream of build progress pictures and had excellent suggestions to improve some design details. The level of detail and thought he puts into his creations is truly amazing. My uke is named Vivienne, Pat doesn't number his instruments, just names. The body has been built and is currently at the finisher and we've worked out some head plate revisions. So, we're really close to having it completed.

Talked with Scott Wise in mid September (hadn't contacted him in 6-months), and was shocked to find he had to have a heart valve replaced in late Spring. I was relieved to hear he was recovering well, but obviously had been unable to work for some time. He was hoping to get back to building my baritone in November. But, I assured him to take as long as he needed. Haven't seen any build progress pictures in a year, when the top rosette was inlaid in December 2019.

It's good to have things to look forward to during this COVID-marred year.

I'm sure there a few of us patiently waiting on a special uke.

Update:

Still in the queue for both of these special ukes. Neither will be completed in 2020, but fairly certain 2021 will be the year I play them.

Pat Megowan has kindly sent a stream of build progress pictures and had excellent suggestions to improve some design details. The level of detail and thought he puts into his creations is truly amazing. My uke is named Vivienne, Pat doesn't number his instruments, just names. The body has been built and is currently at the finisher and we've worked out some head plate revisions. So, we're really close.

Talked with Scott Wise in mid September (hadn't contacted him in 6-months), and was shocked to find he had to have a heart valve replaced in late Spring. I was relieved to hear he was recovering well, but obviously had been unable to work for some time. He was hoping to get back to building my baritone in November. But, I assured him to take as long as he needed. Haven't seen any build progress pictures in a year, when the top rosette was inlaid in December 2019.

It's good to have things to look forward to during this COVID-marred year.

I'm sure there a few of us patiently waiting on a special uke.

Cripple Creek, Synergy, and Antica Ukuleleria Sacco.

@Doc_J
Any update on your Vivienne from Pat Megowan? I admire Pat's work and am super excited to see your uke!

@Doc_J
Any update on your Vivienne from Pat Megowan? I admire Pat's work and am super excited to see your uke!

Pat does incredible work. He is so thoughtful about each detail. Pat has made a lot of progress on my build, the body is completed and finished. However, the process is stalled, waiting on a couple of star inlay fret markers from Larry Robinson. So cool to have some of Larry's work in this uke as well.

Below is a pic of Vivienne's Tree mahogany body in the queue to be finished (She is the one on the far left).

So, I am still waiting on both of my special final ukes (Megowan grand tenor and Scott Wise baritone).
Scott made some more progress on my baritone, earlier this year. He had to set it aside again in January to work on other instrument commitments.

Hoping again to see both before 2022 arrives.
Been waiting since April 2018 for Viviene, and since November 2019 for the Scott Wise baritone.
I am really trying to stay patient.

finishing.jpg

I am in queue for a Beansprout that would be completed in September and am still imagining what that could be. I am also talking with Jon Dale from Jupiter Ukulele about a special project for this fall that would blow your mind when done!

Last edited:
Top Bottom