Favilla tuning peg replacements

steve-o-reno

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Favilla tuner 2.jpg Favilla tuner 1.jpg

I recently acquired a Favilla soprano that has some non-functioning tuning pegs, the holes in the tuner heads are worn from square to round.

The old shafts are approx. .136 and newer ones I have on hand are .169, so new ones are too large for the old tuner heads as well as the holes in the headstock.

Does anyone make narrow shaft tuners like the originals?

I recently acquired a Favilla soprano that has some non-functioning tuning pegs, the holes in the tuner heads are worn from square to round.

The old shafts are approx. .136 and newer ones I have on hand are .169, so new ones are too large for the old tuner heads as well as the holes in the headstock.

Does anyone make narrow shaft tuners like the originals?

Unfortunately you’re right out of luck with this problem and will have to carefully drill out the headstock to take something larger. You can get sometimes get away with not using bushing and replacing it with a plain washer. eBay has listings for cheap friction tuners, I use flat faced ones with a fibre washer added between the friction faces.

UU has a search function, which I’ve used with the ‘same’ problem. It’s not the easiest to use, but if you manage it then you’ll get some helpful results.

Edit. Some people find that Ping tuners are a help - I’m neutral about them - so there’s something to check out. Enter “old friction tuners” into the title only search bar and you’ll come up with something. IIRC the old Harmony Ukes used a similarly small shaft tuner.

Last edited:
I know thw left and right are Favilla baritone tuners. Fromm late 40's to 60's. The one in the middle I'm not sure what they are. They are smaller than the other two.

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the info. I may have to do just that. If I have to use newer tuners I didn't want to countersink the headstock, so I'd use flat washers too.
But another UU member said he had some old Favilla tuners that he'd check on the size and send if they might work.

Thanks again.

I didn't see this post until today. I have a set measuring .i33 on my micrometer. I'll send you a PM for further communication.
Dave

Top Bottom