Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away

Default The One That Got Away

Dipping my toe back into UU after a hiatus of about 4 years... I sold off almost all my ukes and for the most part don't regret it. But I was wondering, of the ukes that you didn't buy or sold off, which are the ones that you still think about and regret the most?

My number one regret is not buying a Kris Barnett concert -- he made only 3 ukes, I think, and he even came over to my house to compare the sound of the different ukes I had with his. He made me a tenor, but I didn't like it as much as the concert he made. I wish I had bought it--it was amazing, but he's done making ukes for good.

Should’ve got a Moore Bettah when they were $1400!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevelele View Post
    Dipping my toe back into UU after a hiatus of about 4 years... I sold off almost all my ukes and for the most part don't regret it. But I was wondering, of the ukes that you didn't buy or sold off, which are the ones that you still think about and regret the most?

My number one regret is not buying a Kris Barnett concert -- he made only 3 ukes, I think, and he even came over to my house to compare the sound of the different ukes I had with his. He made me a tenor, but I didn't like it as much as the concert he made. I wish I had bought it--it was amazing, but he's done making ukes for good.
    Steve, I remember that Kris Barnett tenor. That was quite a looker. I had just about talked myself into buying that one from you, but somebody else beat me to it. I wonder where those 2 Barnett ukes are?

-Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I don't know but whoever has the Barnett concerts, I will happily buy them from you!

I have a few, though they're not crazy holy grail type instruments. They're mostly ones that slipped through my fingers because of circumstances. I don't know how much I would have actually liked them, but they stick out in my mind as missed opportunities.

Some years ago, Mim had a couple cedar/myrtlewood Breedlove tenors that were apparently prototypes. I'm not sure what they were prototypes for, since they never went into production. The current Breedlove production ukes are Chinese laminates with solid tops. They're actually great ukes for what they are, but I wish I could have gotten a hold of one of the prototypes Mim had.

A couple years ago, Hodge/Doc J put up a silver oak Larrivee baritone in the marketplace. I was recently able to track down a Larrivee baritone that I'm very happy with, but I wish he'd held onto that silver oak one until this year when I started looking for one.

Just last December someone put up a sunburst Kinnard tenor in the marketplace. I think it was up for almost two weeks. I was sorely tempted, but at the time, I didn't think I wanted a tenor, and all mahogany isn't usually my first choice of tonewoods. Still, I'm a sucker for a perty sunburst.

I think earlier this year, DJ Morgan in the UK made a purpleheart mini pineapple, but he wasn't shipping to the States at the time.

More recently, right before everything shut down around here, I was in a shop playing a KoAloha anniversary silver. I think it was tenor #003, and it was really beautiful to look at. But I wasn't sure about the sound, so I went home to think about it. Later, I got in touch with them and asked about it, but they'd sold it.

I'm still casually looking for a KTM-25. I might get one if I find one I like, but I'm okay if it doesn't happen. I found a great Larrivee baritone, so I'm not so curious about the silver oak one, and while a mini-pineapple would be kinda neat, I'm not searching for one. If the Kinnard showed up again, I'd probably end up hesitating until it slipped by again. But for some reason, I think I'm probably most interested in what happened to those two prototype Breedloves.

A Rebel Alchemist jumps to mind, but I was saving up for a Blackbird.

There was also a particularly fantastic sounding mahogany/spruce Pono that was just amazing. It was super resonant, but I was preparing for a move and couldn’t afford it.

But that’s about it!

Fortunately, I don't have that problem. I'm happy with what I have. I sold about four that I regretted selling, but I bought replacements.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

It wasn't sexy and it didn't sing like the angels but I regret selling my starter uke, a Lanikai LU-21C. When I got it, the action was high enough to hang laundry from. I took it to a local music store to have the action adjusted and they made it play like the breeze. Compared to what I have now, it would be least in sound quality but I still found the sound to be pretty good and it had the best feel and easiest play of any uke I've played since.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I have a few, though they're not crazy holy grail type instruments. They're mostly ones that slipped through my fingers because of circumstances. I don't know how much I would have actually liked them, but they stick out in my mind as missed opportunities.

Some years ago, Mim had a couple cedar/myrtlewood Breedlove tenors that were apparently prototypes. I'm not sure what they were prototypes for, since they never went into production. The current Breedlove production ukes are Chinese laminates with solid tops. They're actually great ukes for what they are, but I wish I could have gotten a hold of one of the prototypes Mim had.

A couple years ago, Hodge/Doc J put up a silver oak Larrivee baritone in the marketplace. I was recently able to track down a Larrivee baritone that I'm very happy with, but I wish he'd held onto that silver oak one until this year when I started looking for one.

Just last December someone put up a sunburst Kinnard tenor in the marketplace. I think it was up for almost two weeks. I was sorely tempted, but at the time, I didn't think I wanted a tenor, and all mahogany isn't usually my first choice of tonewoods. Still, I'm a sucker for a perty sunburst.

I think earlier this year, DJ Morgan in the UK made a purpleheart mini pineapple, but he wasn't shipping to the States at the time.

More recently, right before everything shut down around here, I was in a shop playing a KoAloha anniversary silver. I think it was tenor #003, and it was really beautiful to look at. But I wasn't sure about the sound, so I went home to think about it. Later, I got in touch with them and asked about it, but they'd sold it.

I'm still casually looking for a KTM-25. I might get one if I find one I like, but I'm okay if it doesn't happen. I found a great Larrivee baritone, so I'm not so curious about the silver oak one, and while a mini-pineapple would be kinda neat, I'm not searching for one. If the Kinnard showed up again, I'd probably end up hesitating until it slipped by again. But for some reason, I think I'm probably most interested in what happened to those two prototype Breedloves.
    I miss that Larrivee Silver Oak baritone, too. I agree with you. I should’ve held onto that one. I wish Larrivee would make more ukes.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

I remember someone selling a couple Santa Cruz concert ukuleles in the marketplace, and I wish I had bought one of those to try.

Thread Information