Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Worst Oopsie

Default My Worst Oopsie

With the revival of the old Vegan Uke thread, I was going through some old pictures of the build and came across what has to be my worst nightmare oopsie which I had long forgotten. I was trimming down the top with a coping saw as I used to do when I inadvertently cut into the sides. There were harsh, profane words said such as “Oh shucks!” or “goldarnit!”. There was nothing for it but to go into total hide mode.

oopsie.jpg oopsie 2.jpg

I was totally screwed as the cut was too deep to sand out and it went across the grain lines. This was a custom uke and the customer had picked out the wood so there was no going back. I did my best and filled the gash as best I could. Funny, but she never noticed it, but I know it is there and see it. The only good thing about it is that it was on the “down side” and the player doesn’t see it. Bad memories.

Nice save! Well done, that man.

John Colter

From my own experiences I cannot believe that that is your worst Oopsie...come on now be more honest
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    From my own experiences I cannot believe that that is your worst Oopsie...come on now be more honest
    Okay, okay... Then there was Goofy Uke. The top slid when I glued it down and put the soundhole off center. I was going to keep it as a private player but just couldn't stand to look at it. It went into a closet to hibernate where I would occasionally find the deformed thing. I finally stripped it for parts and burned the rest.

goofy uke.jpg

My worst one was on an electric guitar. Back around 1980 my shop was in El Paso, Texas. In those days you could go across the border for a cheap lunch and fill up your tank with 20 cent a gallon gas. Good times! I was one of the few luthiers in town that would do weird stuff. I really thought I knew what I was doing. Youthful bravado! Anyway, a player brought me a Gibson Explorer electric guitar, one of those odd shaped solid bodies, and ask me to bind the top with white plastic. No problem, I can do that! Easy, right. About half way around the body, my router foot went right into the output jack hole. Interesting! Not my exact words at the time. After some consideration, and probably several beers, I decided the only choice I had was to cut about 1/2" off the body, parallel to the original shape. I did that, bound the body, and did a black sunburst because I was also unable, or unqualified, to match the original finish. Bottom line is the owner never noticed the change of shape and i shamefully never said a word. There is now a collectable, one of a kind Gibson Explorer out there somewhere. Always fun to hear builder's stories.--Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    ...I was trimming down the top with a coping saw ...
    Id recommend to just buy the cheapest lam trimmer you can find ($25 at harbour freight) and put a flush cut bit in it to trim the back and top.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    With the revival of the old Vegan Uke thread, I was going through some old pictures of the build and came across what has to be my worst nightmare oopsie which I had long forgotten. I was trimming down the top with a coping saw as I used to do when I inadvertently cut into the sides. There were harsh, profane words said such as “Oh shucks!” or “goldarnit!”. There was nothing for it but to go into total hide mode.

oopsie.jpg oopsie 2.jpg

I was totally screwed as the cut was too deep to sand out and it went across the grain lines. This was a custom uke and the customer had picked out the wood so there was no going back. I did my best and filled the gash as best I could. Funny, but she never noticed it, but I know it is there and see it. The only good thing about it is that it was on the “down side” and the player doesn’t see it. Bad memories.
    If I did that I would be tempted to cut it all the way across and fill it with a piece of contrasting wood, the repeat it on the other side.
    Am I nuts?
    But I think it looks pretty darn good.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    Id recommend to just buy the cheapest lam trimmer you can find ($25 at harbour freight) and put a flush cut bit in it to trim the back and top.
    That's the ticket...

My most recent was a black mesquite and cedar soprano. I slotted the board with the stewmac template. Went through the entire build, laid out the bridge location with my normal method and glued it down. It was a pretty nice little uke but it played almost a half step flat at the 12th.

I slotted my nut where the first fret should be. Still working on how I am going to salvage it. Reneck or have a 13ish scale soprano with a new top or a bridge with a big footprint.

Wastella, wouldn't it be easier to accept the position of the bridge and the length of the neck and change just the fret board?

John Colter

Thread Information