Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Worst Oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Wastella, wouldn't it be easier to accept the position of the bridge and the length of the neck and change just the fret board?

John Colter
    Yup, that is probably the easiest way to fix it. Popping off fretboards is very doable with a hot separation knife and a bit of patience. Throw the old fretboard onto the trash heap of history and make a new one.

I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me. I have popped a fretboard before and have a pallet knife ground for that purpose. Thanks!

Tip : For removing fretboards, put a hot clothes iron on the frets over the place you are removing and set the heat setting to immolate. The heat from the iron is transmitted through the metal of the frets through the fretboard and helps melt the glue in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I was trimming down the top with a coping saw as I used to do when I inadvertently cut into the sides.

I cut my thumb with a Dremel rotary blade. The trip to the ER the next day earned me a bill of $5,997.00 for a quick wash and bandage. I was eventually able to work it down to $75.

In the uke world, my first attempt to shape a block of mahogany into a neck resulted in a neck that was too thin. Fortunately, that block provided enough wood for two necks.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

One of the downsides of Spanish heel construction is that you have the neck installed when you cut the binding channels. In an earlier build of a concert uke, I glued some thin wood shims to each side of the neck thinking that I could carefully rout up to the neck and stop when I just nicked the shim. Only on this side the router bit "bit" and ate right through the shim. I was able to pretty well hide the goof by insetting a matching piece of the neck wood.

Oops.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Snape; 07-03-2020 at 06:54 AM.

Ouch! I can totally see how that could happen. Bad things can happen fast with routers as we all know. Would love to see the "after" picture of the fix.

This was a cherry concert, given to a friend. The repair is not invisible, but no one complained.

Oops_2.jpg

Good effort.
    A couple of white dots on the side of the fretboard by the 12th fret would distract the eye and make the mend even less visible. You'd also have to put white dots on frets 5, 7 and 10 as well to make it look as though it wasn't an afterthought.
    Miguel

Great idea, maybe next time! This one's been sent overseas for a while now.

Here's another good goof. I sawed the scarf joint in this koa neck the wrong direction. The only way to salvage it was to place the joint in the middle of the neck. It worked out fine in the end. There is a CF reinforcement in there too.

Scarf_oops.jpg

Thread Information