Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ukulele Computer Files

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    I love the program VueScan. I don't know if it is still considered the industry standard, but it's far better than the software that comes with the scanner.
    I've been hearing about that for years, but the Epson software works okay on my V600.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    What app on the Mac lets you work with a PDF. I've never noticed it. And yes, I realize I cannot edit a PDF that was created by scanning. Since you use a Mac, you're probably not familiar with Irfanview. It's a free photo editing program, and it can convert from almost anything to almost anything. it can save images as PDF.
    The app is Preview, which replaces Acrobat Reader. Not only can view and save PDFs, it also handles JPG, TIFF, PNG, and other bitmap images. It does markup and can insert saved signatures into a PDF. It can do a certain amount photo editing, and also allows adding and deleting PDF pages. It does not convert scanned text to live text, but you can scan with it from a scanner, iPhone or iPad.

If I need to manipulate PDFs, I use Canvas X Draw or PDFpenPro.

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    The app is Preview, which replaces Acrobat Reader.
    Okay. I understand. That what opens PDFs when I click on them.

VueScan and other scanner software, has a built-in OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that is very good. You save the OCR interpreted document as a PDF. The software interprets the words in clumps of text. So you have boxes of text that are not connected to the other boxes.

There are several free OCR apps available. Some of them say they allow you to save as a Word document.

Adobe Acrobat Pro also has one built into the app. You can change text, but not easily and it really screws up the word spacing and page layout. You could also replace an image with an equally sized one under Edit PDF..
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    VueScan and other scanner software, has a built-in OCR (Optical Character Recognition) that is very good. You save the OCR interpreted document as a PDF. The software interprets the words in clumps of text. So you have boxes of text that are not connected to the other boxes.
    Canvas X Draw used to do that, but in the latest version they fixed it, but each text line is separate because of the chord diagrams.
    Last edited by kohanmike; 07-03-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Going back to 140Gb, that is a lot of stuff.

First maybe work out a way to organise into folders if it is not in folders already.
    If you think 140 GB is a lot, you should see my garage.

I don't like to throw anything away because I'll probably find a use for it someday. I take the opposite approach to printing. I prefer to save things digitally, although I do have a mountain of printed songs. When I go to jams, I use my Kindle, but I don't want to get rid of the printed versions.

I do have my files organized into folders, and I occasionally go back and delete and organize. I didn't realize that I have instructional videos in the uke folder. That one folder has 120 GB of data, so most of that 140 GB is video.

Uke Folders.jpg

Thread Information