The new KoAlanas?

snowdenn

Reaction score
Has anybody tried any of the new KoAlana ukuleles? I've been helping someone look for a decent all laminate, and these came up. Personally, I love KoAlohas, and the Opios are great, but I'm not sure what to make of their laminate models. Anyone have experience with them?

This person doesn't want a Kala or Ohana, or anything from Amazon. They want a laminate because they want wood, but they don't want to take care of it as much as a solid wood instrument.

Two other ukes they're considering are the Kiwaya KCU-1 and a Breedlove Pursuit Concert. I've never played the Kiwaya, but I've heard great things. The Breedlove is their lowest-end model only offered at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123.

I tried a few in KoAloha showroom and they are not comparable to KoAloha or even Opio. Obviously this was not the place to compare to other laminates in the same price category but I don't think they are any better or worse. I had bought a cheap Hanohano a few months earlier which I think is much nicer at a fraction of the price. But I took the time to go to several stores and compare. Generally cheap ukes are all very similar and you have to be lucky to find one that stands out.

I think the KoAlanas are supposed to be like Kanilea's Islander series. Beginner-level prices and sound quality, but with the same shaped necks as the company's primary products. Then when you outgrow the KoAlana, you will at least think of upgrading within the company's product range.

Top Bottom