KoAloha lowered their prices on the Made in Hawaii series???

Looks like KoAloha lowered their price a bit. Made in Hawaii All Mango KoAloha soprano for $770. Check their website!!!!:)

Is this a lower price on the mango? The koa ones seem to be about what I recall the price was before, but I don't remember the prices on the mango.

Which store has these on sale? I visited the KoAloha factory just days before they closed in March and didn't notice any Mango models so am wondering if there is much stock available or if they even continue the line.

Both KoAloha and a dealer separately told me last year that they expected to have mango ukuleles soon. However, I'm sure the coronavirus has slowed things down.

Actually, what KoAloha told me was that they expected to get mango soon, but they weren't sure of the quantity and so they didn't know how it would be allocated in terms of models. Although they did mention the Naupakas.

But yeah, I don't get their pricing here. They're reintroducing their Pikake series, and their mango soprano long neck and concert are priced the same as the Pikake soprano and concert. But their mango tenor is the same as their koa tenor.

I bet they just made a mistake in the listing, and their mango are actually all the same price as their koa. Because a nearly $500 jump from concert to tenor seems out of line with the rest of their pricing. But that's just a guess.

I bet they just made a mistake in the listing, and their mango are actually all the same price as their koa. Because a nearly $500 jump from concert to tenor seems out of line with the rest of their pricing. But that's just a guess.

Is it possible that the tenor mango models are more expensive because it is difficult to get mango big enough to make those soundboards? This is pure speculation on my part. An error in pricing seems plausable, but I will note that the pricing on the new (and improved?) web site does match the pricing in their printed brouchure that they were handing out a NAMM. A guy from my local music shop picked me up a copy because he knows of my love for KoAloha.

Is it possible that the tenor mango models are more expensive because it is difficult to get mango big enough to make those soundboards? This is pure speculation on my part. An error in pricing seems plausable, but I will note that the pricing on the new (and improved?) web site does match the pricing in their printed brouchure that they were handing out a NAMM. A guy from my local music shop picked me up a copy because he knows of my love for KoAloha.

Maybe not a mistake then? When I was talking to HMS last year (they were the ones who thought KoAloha would have mango ukes soon), they had just gotten the mango Rebels in, and I was trying to decide between getting a mango Rebel or waiting for the mango KoAloha. I've never gotten to play a mango KoAloha, but a few people who played both said they were similar, which makes sense since Opios and Rebels are made by the same folks. Anyway, I would imagine the Rebel tenors are similar in size with the KoAlohas, but their pricing structure doesn't seem as odd. Not to mention all the other mango tenors or baritones out there that don't seem to reflect scarcity in larger sizes.

I do recall the old site having the same price for the mango and koa tenors at least, so if it isn't a mistake, then either the old prices also had that big gap or they've lowered the soprano and concert prices.

To me it seems KoAloha are a bit lazy to update their site. No mention of KoAlana, listing mango ukes when they've been unavailable for quite some time. That said, if I can get a mango soprano or concert KoAloha for the price they're listed on the website I might just jump on that as soon as they're available. I was possibly looking at a mango Rebel but it looks like I'm going to wait.

Maybe not a mistake then? When I was talking to HMS last year (they were the ones who thought KoAloha would have mango ukes soon), they had just gotten the mango Rebels in, and I was trying to decide between getting a mango Rebel or waiting for the mango KoAloha. I've never gotten to play a mango KoAloha, but a few people who played both said they were similar, which makes sense since Opios and Rebels are made by the same folks. Anyway, I would imagine the Rebel tenors are similar in size with the KoAlohas, but their pricing structure doesn't seem as odd. Not to mention all the other mango tenors or baritones out there that don't seem to reflect scarcity in larger sizes.

I do recall the old site having the same price for the mango and koa tenors at least, so if it isn't a mistake, then either the old prices also had that big gap or they've lowered the soprano and concert prices.

Mango trees are cultivated a lot throughout Asia so there is a huge wood supply as well and it makes sense that Asian uke factories use this as a cheap material. It's also cultivated on the Hawaiian islands and many people grow it in their backyard but not associated with significant lumber industry like in Asia. So I assume they build them when they have a decent tree coming in.

Well, based on the prices that HMS has up, the MSRP prices listed in the catalog/website were wrong. Street price for the current crop of mangos (09 July 2020):

Tenor: $1,359 (catalog $1,430)
Concert: $1,159 (catalog $960)
Long-neck Soprano: $1,036 (catalog $770)

Well, based on the prices that HMS has up, the MSRP prices listed in the catalog/website were wrong. Street price for the current crop of mangos (09 July 2020):

Tenor: $1,359 (catalog $1,430)
Concert: $1,159 (catalog $960)
Long-neck Soprano: $1,036 (catalog $770)

Wouldn't this be HMS price vs MSRP?

Wouldn't this be HMS price vs MSRP?

Right, though he did say street price. But HMS also posted what's presumably the MSRP, as follows:

Tenor: $1430
Concert: $1220
Longneck Soprano: $1090

Assuming they're correct, the KoAloha site did make a mistake on their smaller two sizes. Right or wrong, according to HMS, the mango MSRP are the same as the koa, but the street prices are a bit higher (probably reflecting the fewer mango ukuleles).

Top Bottom