Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Fabric to Store a Ukulele?

Default Best Fabric to Store a Ukulele?

Short Version: What's the best fabric to have a uke laying on?

Long Version: I bought a book case and have my favorite ukes for daily playing/practicing sitting on it's shelves within arm's distance. It's a great system for me. I have each shelf lined with old dish towels and hand towels and put a large beach towel in front to keep out the dust when I'm not playing. It's now time to upgrade the look of the system, and want to put a nice looking fabric on top of the shelf towels and am curious on everyone's thoughts on fabrics.

I've looked through some of my cases, and see the fabrics are mostly some form of polyester material. Some are velveteen-like, others are nylon-like, etc. So, if you have any thoughts on what might be better or worse for the ukes please let me know. The five I usually keep in the case are either koa or mahogany and either gloss or satin finish.

Before anyone asks, we keep the house humidity at 50% +/- 3% all year long. Also, hanging all in a case within arms reach would be more dangerous for taking in and out frequently.
    Last edited by Ed1; 07-02-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Short Version: What's the best fabric to have a uke laying on?

Long Version: I bought a book case and have my favorite ukes for daily playing/practicing sitting on it's shelves within arm's distance. It's a great system for me. I have each shelf lined with old dish towels and hand towels and put a large beach towel in front to keep out the dust when I'm not playing. It's now time to upgrade the look of the system, and want to put a nice looking fabric on top of the shelf towels and am curious on everyone's thoughts on fabrics.

I've looked through some of my cases, and see the fabrics are mostly some form of polyester material. Some are velveteen-like, others are nylon-like, etc. So, if you have any thoughts on what might be better or worse for the ukes please let me know. The five I usually keep in the case are either koa or mahogany and either gloss or satin finish.

Before anyone asks, we keep the house humidity at 50% + or - 3% all year long. Also, hanging all in a case within arms reach would be more dangerous for taking in and out frequently.
    Not vinyl or asbestos.

The fabric they use in cases must be okay, so that will give you an idea. As for the dishtowels, as long as they are clean, soft, and dry, they should be fine.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Something like this (the pillows, not the misc. stuff on top ATM).
    ukulele_fabric.jpg

I don't know about looks, but cotton is safe. I've heard horror stories about cases and guitar stands/holders leaving marks on different instrument finishes, and not just from cheap brands. I think it has something to do with lots of variations in the chemical composition of finishes, and not knowing how every material will react with it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn View Post
    I don't know about looks, but cotton is safe. I've heard horror stories about cases and guitar stands/holders leaving marks on different instrument finishes, and not just from cheap brands. I think it has something to do with lots of variations in the chemical composition of finishes, and not knowing how every material will react with it.
    The fabric impressions in cases is usually caused by pressure. The fabric, such as a strap or the strapping that keeps the lid from flopping open, are materials with somewhat coarse weaves. That rough pattern is what gets pushed into the finish. (The tanning and finishing chemicals in leather can affect the finish as well.)

Ideally, you should use a smooth microfiber no-lint material. Like the free wipe down cloths sometimes included when you buy a uke. Or are used for cleaning camera lenses. I have no idea how expensive that would be.

Otherwise, maybe a faux fur similar to what you find in some instrument cases.

But, ukes aren't that heavy. So any soft cloth will probably be ok.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Plush microfiber, the kind often used for instrument cleaning cloths.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

I wrap my KoAlhoa Sceptre in Microfiber cloths (polyester) in the case (slightly too large for a Sceptre), and the Cocobolos are wrapped with velour, because that's what the one without a case was wrapped in. Everything else just goes into the case, and I bring the case with me when I sit to play. It takes 10 seconds to open a case and extract the instrument, and about the same to put it away.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    If you can find a textile shop near your house, the range of patterns and motifs on prints available can be mind boggling.
    "Mind boggling" is right! Before stores closed, I went to Joann Fabric to buy cloth to make masks, and it was hard to decide.

If you have a Joann near you, if you can't go into the store, they have curbside delivery.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by clear View Post
    Something like this (the pillows, not the misc. stuff on top ATM).
    ukulele_fabric.jpg
    This is the correct way to present your ukes.

Thanks for all the ideas. I probably won't use the royal pillow ideas -- Well maybe under the necks instead of my old rolled up t-shirts.

I like Bill's idea of easy to wash natural fabric for the ukes to sit on, and who knew there were so many ukulele patterned shower curtains!

I may just find some nice soft towels in good (royal )colors to pad the shelves and for the ukes to sit on and then get a good looking fabric for the outside. Currently I use a 36X72 inch colorful beach towel which works well to cover the front of the 32X48 book case in that it's long enough to cover the top which allows another uke or two to sit on top. However, the beach towel does nothing for the rest of the room and it's time to upgrade the look.

Thanks again folks.

Thread Information