Best Fabric to Store a Ukulele?

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Short Version: What's the best fabric to have a uke laying on?

Long Version: I bought a book case and have my favorite ukes for daily playing/practicing sitting on it's shelves within arm's distance. It's a great system for me. I have each shelf lined with old dish towels and hand towels and put a large beach towel in front to keep out the dust when I'm not playing. It's now time to upgrade the look of the system, and want to put a nice looking fabric on top of the shelf towels and am curious on everyone's thoughts on fabrics.

I've looked through some of my cases, and see the fabrics are mostly some form of polyester material. Some are velveteen-like, others are nylon-like, etc. So, if you have any thoughts on what might be better or worse for the ukes please let me know. The five I usually keep in the case are either koa or mahogany and either gloss or satin finish.

Before anyone asks, we keep the house humidity at 50% +/- 3% all year long. Also, hanging all in a case within arms reach would be more dangerous for taking in and out frequently.

Last edited:
Short Version: What's the best fabric to have a uke laying on?

Long Version: I bought a book case and have my favorite ukes for daily playing/practicing sitting on it's shelves within arm's distance. It's a great system for me. I have each shelf lined with old dish towels and hand towels and put a large beach towel in front to keep out the dust when I'm not playing. It's now time to upgrade the look of the system, and want to put a nice looking fabric on top of the shelf towels and am curious on everyone's thoughts on fabrics.

I've looked through some of my cases, and see the fabrics are mostly some form of polyester material. Some are velveteen-like, others are nylon-like, etc. So, if you have any thoughts on what might be better or worse for the ukes please let me know. The five I usually keep in the case are either koa or mahogany and either gloss or satin finish.

Before anyone asks, we keep the house humidity at 50% + or - 3% all year long. Also, hanging all in a case within arms reach would be more dangerous for taking in and out frequently.

Not vinyl or asbestos. :D

The fabric they use in cases must be okay, so that will give you an idea. As for the dishtowels, as long as they are clean, soft, and dry, they should be fine.

Something like this (the pillows, not the misc. stuff on top ATM).
ukulele_fabric.jpg

I don't know about looks, but cotton is safe. I've heard horror stories about cases and guitar stands/holders leaving marks on different instrument finishes, and not just from cheap brands. I think it has something to do with lots of variations in the chemical composition of finishes, and not knowing how every material will react with it.

I don't know about looks, but cotton is safe. I've heard horror stories about cases and guitar stands/holders leaving marks on different instrument finishes, and not just from cheap brands. I think it has something to do with lots of variations in the chemical composition of finishes, and not knowing how every material will react with it.

The fabric impressions in cases is usually caused by pressure. The fabric, such as a strap or the strapping that keeps the lid from flopping open, are materials with somewhat coarse weaves. That rough pattern is what gets pushed into the finish. (The tanning and finishing chemicals in leather can affect the finish as well.)

Ideally, you should use a smooth microfiber no-lint material. Like the free wipe down cloths sometimes included when you buy a uke. Or are used for cleaning camera lenses. I have no idea how expensive that would be.

Otherwise, maybe a faux fur similar to what you find in some instrument cases.

But, ukes aren't that heavy. So any soft cloth will probably be ok.

Plush microfiber, the kind often used for instrument cleaning cloths.

I wrap my KoAlhoa Sceptre in Microfiber cloths (polyester) in the case (slightly too large for a Sceptre), and the Cocobolos are wrapped with velour, because that's what the one without a case was wrapped in. Everything else just goes into the case, and I bring the case with me when I sit to play. It takes 10 seconds to open a case and extract the instrument, and about the same to put it away.

If you can find a textile shop near your house, the range of patterns and motifs on prints available can be mind boggling.

"Mind boggling" is right! Before stores closed, I went to Joann Fabric to buy cloth to make masks, and it was hard to decide.

If you have a Joann near you, if you can't go into the store, they have curbside delivery.

Thanks for all the ideas. I probably won't use the royal pillow ideas -- Well maybe under the necks instead of my old rolled up t-shirts.

I like Bill's idea of easy to wash natural fabric for the ukes to sit on, and who knew there were so many ukulele patterned shower curtains!

I may just find some nice soft towels in good (royal :))colors to pad the shelves and for the ukes to sit on and then get a good looking fabric for the outside. Currently I use a 36X72 inch colorful beach towel which works well to cover the front of the 32X48 book case in that it's long enough to cover the top which allows another uke or two to sit on top. However, the beach towel does nothing for the rest of the room and it's time to upgrade the look.

Thanks again folks.

Thanks for all the ideas. I probably won't use the royal pillow ideas -- Well maybe under the necks instead of my old rolled up t-shirts.

I like Bill's idea of easy to wash natural fabric for the ukes to sit on, and who knew there were so many ukulele patterned shower curtains!

I may just find some nice soft towels in good (royal :))colors to pad the shelves and for the ukes to sit on and then get a good looking fabric for the outside. Currently I use a 36X72 inch colorful beach towel which works well to cover the front of the 32X48 book case in that it's long enough to cover the top which allows another uke or two to sit on top. However, the beach towel does nothing for the rest of the room and it's time to upgrade the look.

Thanks again folks.

I think we should extend this to wearing special button-free, zipper-free clothing. How about a nice black velvet? One covering from shoulders to feet would be nice. Adding a hood to the ensemble would enhance the appearance. It might scare children, though. :D

Black.jpg

Any undyed natural fabrics such as cotton or silk should be fine. Synthetic fibres as well as dyes can react with the uke finish and cause undesirable effects. High end ukes with thin nitro cellulose finish are most sensitive to undesirable interactions.

I think we should extend this to wearing special button-free, zipper-free clothing.
Jerry, I think you found your "uniform" - an oversized t-shirt and fly-less sweat pants with a draw string at the waist.

Jerry, I think you found your "uniform" - an oversized t-shirt and fly-less sweat pants with a draw string at the waist.

That's my normal, at-home attire. Although I do switch to baggy shorts when the weather warms up. :cool:

Top Bottom