Finishing with the neck on.

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
Like most builders these days, I finish my necks and bodies separately. I spray nitro. There are times though, when I need to do some spraying with the neck on. As anyone knows, doing the sanding and polishing around the fretboard extension and the neck heel is extremely difficult. Getting those areas as nice as you can when doing separate spraying of the neck and body seems next to impossible. I'm interested in hearing any techniques for that. How to you sand and buff that area without it looking different than the rest of the finish? I've seen some finishes from pros who have done a great finish , even with the neck on, so I know it's possible. Thanks, Bob

Yeah, I do my finishing with the neck on and it is challenging. Not ideal, but I do it that way because I've always done it that way which is not a good excuse I know... Firstly, you don't want to do any wood sanding after they are attached. Neck and body are sanded out to 320 before attaching. You will never be able to get into that neck heal/body area right because the grain runs in different directions and it is cramped. For after finishing sanding, I wet sand in that area no problem by using my thumbnail (very carefully) to get that last little bit. I sand along side of the fretboard using wet sandpaper grades wrapped on a Popsicle stick. Don't over sand here which is the tendency and don't forget the little bit around the soundhole which is easy to forget. All in all a PITA.

Bottom line: Do them separately and save yourself the grief.

Bottom line: Do them separately and save yourself the grief.
Yeah, I have learned that lesson the hard way. My last couple of instruments I have finished with the bridge location and neck joint area masked off, and I like the results much, much better.

Top Bottom