Using a mandolin strap for a ukulele - headstock attachment.

mikelz777

Reaction score
With this type of mandolin strap (see below) can the leather loop just be put over the strings between the upper and lower pairs of tuners on the headstock and then be snugged up and used that way? I was just thinking it might be a lot quicker and easier way to attach/detach the strap rather than having to fiddle around and thread it below the strings behind the nut.

M19_black.jpg

Nope. Over the strings between the upper & Lower tuners will cause the C & E strings to go sharp and it won't stay in tune as the pressure on the strings changes with pressure on the strap.

They're called by different names. This one is called an Acoustic Guitar Strap Button Headstock Adaptor by Walker and Williams. Martin makes them. As do others in both leather and synthetic material. They are also available in different colors and button finishes. IE: Black, Brown, Tan strap. With Gold color, antique brass, satin silver and chrome buttons. So you can match your shoulder strap's ends and tuner finishes.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 12.30.41 AM.jpg

You can place it as shown, or under the strings between the tuner buttons. You just unbutton it and pull it out, or you button the mini strap adapter and then attach the strap to the button. So the mini stays on the uke, but you take the shoulder strap off.

Last edited:
Nope. Over the strings between the upper & Lover tuners will cause the C & E strings to go sharp and it won't stay in tune as the pressure on the strings changes with pressure on the strap.

They're called by different names. This one is called an Acoustic Guitar Strap Button Headstock Adaptor by Wilkinson &

View attachment 128186

You can place it as shown, or under the strings between the tuner buttons. You just unbutton it and pull it out, or you button the mini strap adapter and then attach the strap to the button. So the mini stays on the uke, but you take the shoulder strap off.

I didn't think of that! That's why I couldn't find any examples of it being done that way anywhere.

Top Bottom