String set recommendations for reentrant fifths

bsfloyd

Reaction score
Hello all!! I have a couple of ukuleles tuned to fifths (CGDA) using the Aquila 31U string set (wound C and G). I would like to tune another reentrant, with a high C. The thing is, I think having the G string still wound might be a bit odd with the other three being unwound. However, in order to have the G string unwound, it would be a pretty hefty string I imagine - similar to that of an unwound low G for standard uke tuning, which I have been reading can sound pretty tubby as their diameters are usually larger than that of wound low G strings. What do you all think? Is there a non wound low G that would fit in this mix, or do you think having one wound string would not be as big of an issue I think it might be. Of course the D and A strings would still be from 31U set (unless I wish to explore other options for them as well :)) Thanks!

Thanks, Keith - are you referring to mixing the Aquila Red unwound low G in with the Aquila 31U D and A strings? And tips or the high C string to complete the fifths tuned set? Thanks

What scale? If you think about it, any low G set will probably work for your tuning just by swapping the bottom two strings and tuning down the 2nd string from E to D. Any set that sounds balanced for standard low G tuning should be fine for cGDA

Never thought about it that way, but makes good sense! I will give that a try...

Oh... concert scale.

First of all, please don't try to unwind strings, there are plenty of plain strings available. As for the C, is this not just an octave lower than any regular C string? In that case a regular Super Nylgut C will be perfect. I have my low G tenor strung with super nylguts and a red low G and the balance of sound and tension for playing are perfect in my opinion. But if your wound G is not yet worn out then it is ok as well with three plain strings. The red will likely last much longer.

Is there any particular reason to make it complicated? I bought an instrument with the strings tuned to fifths and I just adjusted them to ukulele tunings. There was no need for special string sets or anything; I just turned the tuning pegs until I got the notes I wanted.

Is there any particular reason to make it complicated? I bought an instrument with the strings tuned to fifths and I just adjusted them to ukulele tunings. There was no need for special string sets or anything; I just turned the tuning pegs until I got the notes I wanted.

Fifths tuning covers a much larger tonal range than uke tuning and therefore needs a very thick string for the low C. The three high strings cover the same range as the usual four uke strings in linear tuning, with a D instead of C and E.

Last edited:
Actually for re-entrant fifths tuning you could also just use any regular low G set and simply swap the C and G strings and then tune the E two steps down to D.

Actually for re-entrant fifths tuning you could also just use any regular low G set and simply swap the C and G strings and then tune the E two steps down to D.

Yes, this is the recommendation from Jim Hanks above, and the plan I am going to take at next string purchase.

To those that think this may be complicated, please keep in mind this is for fifths tuning but in a reentrant style. The tuning can get a good amount lower on the bottom half than standard uke tuning and using regular uke strings can get pretty floppy. In this case it is the G string. In non reentrant fifths tuning it would be both the low C and G. The Aquila 31U is a great set for this, but I want to try a reentrant style in fifths, so the low C would up an octave. Swapping the G and C from a low G set is a suitable idea I think.

Last edited:
First of all, please don't try to unwind strings, there are plenty of plain strings available. As for the C, is this not just an octave lower than any regular C string? In that case a regular Super Nylgut C will be perfect. I have my low G tenor strung with super nylguts and a red low G and the balance of sound and tension for playing are perfect in my opinion. But if your wound G is not yet worn out then it is ok as well with three plain strings. The red will likely last much longer.

I guess I’m confused - why would I try to unwind a wound string? What I was referring to is that low G ukulele strings are very common to be wound strings, and having a smaller diameter than a low G plain string. I admit that larger diameter plain strings can sound tubby at times, and I didn’t know how the contrast would be sitting in between the other strings, not at the very bottom. I also question the contrast of only having one wound string sitting in between the other three plain strings. I guess it’s all a test of trial and error really. I’ve read good things about the Aquila Reds so will try the plan as mentioned above. If I think the low G is sounding too boomy under the higher C string, I will try a wound G in its place.

I have a six string where a low red A sits in the middle of a high new Nylgut A and an E and it sounds great. As for tubby C my concert uke with fluorocarbon string has that issue. I haven't decided yet what to do about this. I have a spare set of Aquila Lava strings in concert so am thinking about putting that on. But the uke also needs a higher saddle I think so I want to get that done first.

Top Bottom