Attaching abrasive to homemade drum sander?

Explorer77

Reaction score
What are the ways to attach abrasive to a homemade drum sander?
I thought of spray glue but this will leave a resadue behind.
Is there a 'clamp down method' that is lower or outside the sanding surface? Photos would really help.. Thanks!

On the first one I made I fastened the ends down with drawing pins and electricians tape...look at the link below.

Are Drawing pins thumb tacs? and doesn't the tacs covered by the tape result in a thicker diameter than the abrasive drum?

Yes but the thickness of the material being sanded is much thicker than a thumb tack head..and the support board under the drum is narrower than the length of the drum so the ends never hit the board....simple init. :)

I use a couple of small nails on each end and then put a couple of wraps of tape over it. Last time I used electricians tape and the time before that I used fiberglass reinforced strapping tape. Both work fine and outlast the sandpaper.

I'm not sanding anything thinner than two layers of tape so I don't worry about the thicker diameter.

Use velcro backed sandpaper. Attach the velcro hooks to the drum with contact adhesive. This method also makes changing grits possible - not fun but possible.
Miguel

Top Bottom