First time stringing a uke--not good

Strum

Reaction score
The A string broke on the Kamoa Grand Concert uke I've had for a couple of months. I randomly bought a set of Martin M610 Graphite Gray Polygut strings and have been attempting to restring all 4 strings. I've restrung guitars many times, but only steel strings so this is my first time using nylon. I haven't had a problem with the C and E strings but the high G snapped, even though it was 3-4 frets from being in tune. Fortunately there was enough string left so I got it on okay the second try. I was just in the last steps of fine tuning all the strings when the A string broke in half. I had been working very slowly for 15-20 minutes to allow the strings to stretch as they got closer to being in tune. What could I have done differently?

Did you make sure that you got strings for the correct size uke? Also check nut for sharp corners. Maybe take it slow getting to tune, uke strings can take weeks to settle into tension. Also compare to your guitar and make sure you are not going an extra octave higher.

Thanks for the advice Merlin. My uke and the strings are both concert. I'll be more aware of the nut sharp corners next time, although the he A string broke at around the second fret. I don't know if the break in the string could have stretched to the nut under tension (2 inches?) but that's not that far from the nut. I'll also let the uke sit for an hour or so before I get it closer than 5 frets from in tune. I was using an online tuner and constantly checked the strings with the right notes.

The grand concert has a 16" scale, I think. Getting close to Tenor territory. If you keep having issues, maybe Tenor strings would help, but first I'd check for sharp edges as merlin suggested.

The grand concert has a 16" scale, I think. Getting close to Tenor territory. If you keep having issues, maybe Tenor strings would help, but first I'd check for sharp edges as merlin suggested.

Interesting. I'll try tenor strings. I was doing a bit of web surfing and came across someone changing strings using Worth strings. They said the strings come double length and you cut them in half when stringing. That could have helped me this afternoon—I could have used that other half. I also see the wisdom in buying at least two sets of strings so you have a backup. I won't be able to finish my stringing until Monday, when the music store opens again.

Interesting. I'll try tenor strings. I was doing a bit of web surfing and came across someone changing strings using Worth strings. They said the strings come double length and you cut them in half when stringing. That could have helped me this afternoon—I could have used that other half. I also see the wisdom in buying at least two sets of strings so you have a backup. I won't be able to finish my stringing until Monday, when the music store opens again.

Hey Strum,
The tenor strings will be of a higher tension. I play tenors exclusively and always use concert strings to get a lower tension. Without having any data, I would guess that you busted your strings because you were going a octave higher than you should. I've done that in the past. Worth strings are great. I use them. They are twice as long as needed and therefore provide a backup set of strings if you cut them in half. If you want lower tension, I would suggest soprano strings. The concert strings, however, will work for you as long as you don't tune it an octave higher than it is designed.

You’ll also want to make sure you are tuning the strings to the correct octave.

If you use an app(f.x. Pitchlab) on your mobile, you can see if it's the correct octave G4, C4, E4, A4

You’ll also want to make sure you are tuning the strings to the correct octave.

THIS!!!!

I even did that recently with a bass which has a built in tuner. :rolleyes:

In 8 years, I've broken one string, my A snapped while taking the uke out of the case. No apparent reason; I replaced it, and all those other strings lasted for a year and a half.

Hey Strum,
The tenor strings will be of a higher tension. I play tenors exclusively and always use concert strings to get a lower tension. Without having any data, I would guess that you busted your strings because you were going a octave higher than you should. I've done that in the past. Worth strings are great. I use them. They are twice as long as needed and therefore provide a backup set of strings if you cut them in half. If you want lower tension, I would suggest soprano strings. The concert strings, however, will work for you as long as you don't tune it an octave higher than it is designed.

Oh that’s right, disregard what I said about tenor strings. Other than octave or sharp edges (if it broke in the middle, it’s not sharp edges), if it only happened once maybe you just got a bad string.

I've resisted getting a tuner but am thinking it's a good idea for instances like this. I thought I was following the online tuner closely but might have gone up an octave. By all the replies it sounds like breaking a string shouldn't happen that often. Thanks for all the advice!

I've resisted getting a tuner but am thinking it's a good idea for instances like this. I thought I was following the online tuner closely but might have gone up an octave. By all the replies it sounds like breaking a string shouldn't happen that often. Thanks for all the advice!

I'm not going to hazard a guess about what is happening, but know that in seven years I have never had a string break on me. So I don't know how common it is for others, but it isn't for me. And I do not have any particular rituals or exercises that I do to prevent breakage.

It's more dangerous if you remove all the strings at once. I usually remove one string at a time and get it in the ballpark with another of the old strings and then use the tuner to dial it in. I started doing that a long time ago after making the mistake once. I hadn't broken a string like that in 30 years until it bit me again recently on that bass. :mad:

Don't rely on electronic crutches but use your ear for tuning. Open strings of ukulele are the same as four high strings on guitar on the fifth fret so just compare to guitar if it is the same note.

I have restrung ukuleles more than a handfull of times, and I never had a string break during. I had them slip through the hole in the saddle, but never break.

I like my "crutches" well, as much as I would like to be able to tune without, electronic tuners are better than out of tune.

Happy to say I restrung the A string and it didn't break! Funny thing I'm noticing now that I'm all tuned up—some fretted notes, for example third string, third fret (E) and second string, fifth fret, (A) are sharp when compared with the E and A open strings—three to four ticks on my Snark.

Give them a few days to settle in and tune them a few times per day. Some uke strings are also very soft and easy to play sharp and at least for me it is not possible to play some things without bending strings slightly. So my goal is always to get as hard/high tension strings as possible. Aquila Super Nylguts are the best I have found so far to help with precise playing and avoid intonation problems.

I think using a good quality Chromatic tuner is better than one that has settings for different tuning. You can watch the string you are tuning come up to pitch so you don't go past it,and snap the string .

Top Bottom