Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time stringing a uke--not good

Default First time stringing a uke--not good

The A string broke on the Kamoa Grand Concert uke I've had for a couple of months. I randomly bought a set of Martin M610 Graphite Gray Polygut strings and have been attempting to restring all 4 strings. I've restrung guitars many times, but only steel strings so this is my first time using nylon. I haven't had a problem with the C and E strings but the high G snapped, even though it was 3-4 frets from being in tune. Fortunately there was enough string left so I got it on okay the second try. I was just in the last steps of fine tuning all the strings when the A string broke in half. I had been working very slowly for 15-20 minutes to allow the strings to stretch as they got closer to being in tune. What could I have done differently?

Did you make sure that you got strings for the correct size uke? Also check nut for sharp corners. Maybe take it slow getting to tune, uke strings can take weeks to settle into tension. Also compare to your guitar and make sure you are not going an extra octave higher.

Thanks for the advice Merlin. My uke and the strings are both concert. I'll be more aware of the nut sharp corners next time, although the he A string broke at around the second fret. I don't know if the break in the string could have stretched to the nut under tension (2 inches?) but that's not that far from the nut. I'll also let the uke sit for an hour or so before I get it closer than 5 frets from in tune. I was using an online tuner and constantly checked the strings with the right notes.

The grand concert has a 16" scale, I think. Getting close to Tenor territory. If you keep having issues, maybe Tenor strings would help, but first I'd check for sharp edges as merlin suggested.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    The grand concert has a 16" scale, I think. Getting close to Tenor territory. If you keep having issues, maybe Tenor strings would help, but first I'd check for sharp edges as merlin suggested.
    Interesting. I'll try tenor strings. I was doing a bit of web surfing and came across someone changing strings using Worth strings. They said the strings come double length and you cut them in half when stringing. That could have helped me this afternoon—I could have used that other half. I also see the wisdom in buying at least two sets of strings so you have a backup. I won't be able to finish my stringing until Monday, when the music store opens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Strum View Post
    Interesting. I'll try tenor strings. I was doing a bit of web surfing and came across someone changing strings using Worth strings. They said the strings come double length and you cut them in half when stringing. That could have helped me this afternoon—I could have used that other half. I also see the wisdom in buying at least two sets of strings so you have a backup. I won't be able to finish my stringing until Monday, when the music store opens again.
    Hey Strum,
    The tenor strings will be of a higher tension. I play tenors exclusively and always use concert strings to get a lower tension. Without having any data, I would guess that you busted your strings because you were going a octave higher than you should. I've done that in the past. Worth strings are great. I use them. They are twice as long as needed and therefore provide a backup set of strings if you cut them in half. If you want lower tension, I would suggest soprano strings. The concert strings, however, will work for you as long as you don't tune it an octave higher than it is designed.

You’ll also want to make sure you are tuning the strings to the correct octave.
    KoAloha KCM-00
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele
    Kala KA-SLNG
    Flight TUS35

If you use an app(f.x. Pitchlab) on your mobile, you can see if it's the correct octave G4, C4, E4, A4
    Mahimahi MS-35W Soprano Willow
    Mahimahi MC-35W Concerto Willow
    Mahimahi MT-35W Tenore Willow
    Geso GC-85 Concert
    Geso GT-85 Tenor
    Reno RU-210 Soprano
    Everplay LA8-21 soprano thinbody deadwood
    Makala MK-C Concert
    Martin T-15 Tiple 1956
    Just Povlsen Uke 790, 1947
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in A
    Cordoba Mini M Guitalele in E

Quote Originally Posted by Jan D View Post
    You’ll also want to make sure you are tuning the strings to the correct octave.
    THIS!!!!

I even did that recently with a bass which has a built in tuner.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

In 8 years, I've broken one string, my A snapped while taking the uke out of the case. No apparent reason; I replaced it, and all those other strings lasted for a year and a half.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information