Help appreciated: Prolonged resonance/vibration in solid spruce top concert ukulele

Hoopoe

Reaction score
Hi,

First post here although I’ve been reading as a guest for a while now.

So recently I finally got a ukulele, Kala Solid Spruce (Top) Mahogany Concert, KA-SCG and really got into it until my ears slowly started to get used to the instrument and I noticed that there was a delay in the sound, a resonance or sustain that went on after I’d strum a chord or even just the open strings. For some reason I think it’s the C string but can’t be sure.

I uploaded a sound sample (see link below, hope it works) for the more experienced to have a listen and help. This could be how an ukulele should sound and all is fine but I just can’t focus, all my ears hear now is that few long seconds after the strum. I mean, strings should resonate as it’s what they do but I’m wondering if there’s more to this one.

https://sndup.net/4x3q

Yeah, I thought it could go either way and I might be completely off as I’m new to string instruments (any instruments really). Ears still can get over the “booming” sustain in the background. Probably takes getting used to it?

As Bellgamin says, above, controlling the length of the sustain is a very useful playing technique. It took me a while before the penny dropped, but when it did, it brought an added dimension to my playing. Your uke sounds fine to me.

John Colter

Thanks folks, really appreciate the replies. Now I’ll just need to calibrate the ears to it and hopefully get to the point where I can control the sustain!

Top Bottom