Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tuner for ukes?

Default Best tuner for ukes?

I'm a beginner with no previous experience with any musical instrument. Really loving my uke as a Father's Day gift (Kala KA-SMHCE-E).
    I've started a YouTube channel to document my progress and share tidbits I'm learning. Made the mistake of purchasing a cheap, no name tuner on Amazon, then spent $2 more for a Snark. What a difference. My uke has a built in tuner, but still prefer the Snark. Any other recommendations on tuning for a beginner?

If you search the forum, this question comes up regularly! 'Best Tuner' is subjective; the tuner one player loves may be disliked by many others. If your Snark works for you, then stick with it for a while. And learn 'relative tuning', where you tune ONE string from a tuner or tuning fork, (Usually 'A') and then tune the other strings by ear from that string. Again, many threads about this and if in doubt, Internet search is your friend!
    Don't get too hung up on 'exact tuning'; so long as your instrument sounds okay to YOU and you can play/sing along with it, then unless you plan to play with a group of players, that is plenty good enough! In a group/club situation you will need your Snark, as one instrument out of whack with the rest will stand out like a sore thumb! Just enjoy your instrument, get familiar with it, and play away.
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time! (And my beautiful Sopranino!)

Snarks always struck me as too big (for my taste). I prefer Planet Waves NS Micro Tuners or, better yet, their sound hole tuners. That’s what I always ask for when relatives want to get me something ukulele-themed.

The Snark is hard to beat. It has a good price, it's large enough to see easily, and it's fast. There are some tuners that are very small and some that supposedly give you more information, but you can't go wrong with a Snark. I have a bunch of them lying around, as well as other brands, so one is always handy.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

The Snark is a fine choice. Can't go wrong with that.
    DEPENDENTS:

In order of age:

Martin C-1K Concert, C Re-entrant Tuning 4/2014
    Pono MTD-CR Tenor C Linear Tuning 6/21/2016
    Ko'olau Model 100 Tenor C Linear Tuning 7/27/2018
    Kamaka HF-2 Koa Concert C Linear 6/26/2019
    Cocobolo Concert #433 C Re-Entrant 2/3/2020
    Martin S1 Soprano, C Re-entrant Tuning 3/19/2020

I agree, Snark has decent tuners for the price. D'addario Micro and soundhole tuners are nice too but the Micro tends to rattle and, in my case, break completely.

The most accurate tuner I've tried is a Peterson Strobe Tuner but they're closer to $50 than the 10-15 dollars the Snarks cost.

I use a Peterson Strobe Clip. Not cheap, at $70, but very accurate, and the thing is 10 years old!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    If you search the forum, this question comes up regularly! 'Best Tuner' is subjective; the tuner one player loves may be disliked by many others. If your Snark works for you, then stick with it for a while. And learn 'relative tuning', where you tune ONE string from a tuner or tuning fork, (Usually 'A') and then tune the other strings by ear from that string. Again, many threads about this and if in doubt, Internet search is your friend!
    Don't get too hung up on 'exact tuning'; so long as your instrument sounds okay to YOU and you can play/sing along with it, then unless you plan to play with a group of players, that is plenty good enough! In a group/club situation you will need your Snark, as one instrument out of whack with the rest will stand out like a sore thumb! Just enjoy your instrument, get familiar with it, and play away.

I agree with tuning by ear — tune the Uke to itself. Tune the C string, then tune the E string so that it vibrates sympathetically when you pluck an E on the C string. And proceed onward to the rest. With time, your ear will get you pretty close. But using sympathetic vibrations will ensure your Uke is tuned to itself. The only issue of EXACT tuning will arise if y’all are playing in a group.

I tuned by ear only for decades but as I play in noisy environments or with other people I also appreciate the advantage of electronic tuner. I have used a Snark now for maybe 5 or 6 years and it does the job well even outside in bright sunlight.

Peterson Stroboclip HD is more durable and more accurate than Snark. You get what you pay for.

Thread Information