New PayPal Policy Updates

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just received this from PayPal. Here are few of the changes:

Policy Updates

This page displays policy updates informing users in advance of important changes to the PayPal service, its User Agreement, or other policies. Please go to “Past Policy Updates” for previous policy updates.

AMENDMENTS TO CERTAIN U.S. PAYPAL AGREEMENTS

We are updating certain PayPal agreements (listed below) that apply to U.S. customers. The changes described below will go into effect on July 31, 2020, or as otherwise set forth herein. There is no action needed from you, as the changes will occur automatically on the applicable effective dates. In the event you would prefer to decline the changes and close your account, you can do so prior to the applicable effective dates and the changes will not apply to you.

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

We are expanding our Seller Protection Program to include certain intangible goods and providing the terms and conditions with respect to the coverage of such intangible goods....

...For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs. (Huh? Very Confusing.)

...We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program. (WTF? No more used instruments are covered?)

...We are requiring that buyers attempt to resolve their issues directly with sellers prior to filing a claim with us in order to be eligible for reimbursement under our Purchase Protection Program. ...

I had read the new policies, and was confused by them.
If anyone is good at translating legalize, maybe they can help clear things up.

Meanwhile, my take is that sales like those through UU Marketplace or similar places won't have protection. But, all I really know is that I'm confused, so I could be totally wrong.

...We are excluding items intended for resale, including single item transactions or transactions that include multiple items, from reimbursement eligibility under our Purchase Protection Program. (WTF? No more used instruments are covered?)

I think your interpretation might be correct but I agree does anyone speak legalize? That would be strange and unfortunate that Paypal wouldn't cover single item transactions considering that Paypal made their business from these types of transactions starting with eBay...

IANAL, but the three followup clauses read to me as applying to the "certain intangible goods" the first clause expands coverage to. I'm not sure what that means (digital books and patterns? souls?), but a ukulele is tangible and so doesn't sound like it'd be affected by this change.

...For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs. (Huh? Very Confusing.)

...We are requiring that buyers attempt to resolve their issues directly with sellers prior to filing a claim with us in order to be eligible for reimbursement under our Purchase Protection Program. ...

I am not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV. (While I have several relatives who are lawyers, I have very little contact with them, especially as one is a Postal Inspector, one works for the DEA, and one has something to do with high end real estate in NYC and NJ.)

The way I interpret the two statements above is, if the item is "Significantly Not As Described", you may not have to return it to get a refund, OR the seller may have to pay the shipping if you return it. Item intended for resale are just that: Things you purchase (usually in quantity) that you intend to sell to others.
a) You bought a Moore Bettah uke for $2300 with the intention of immediately turning around and selling it for $5000 and found out it was a More Butter Ukulele, you aren't covered. (Of course, PayPal has to prove you were buying it for resale purposes, and Fraud is still Fraud, in this case.) or
b) If you bought 30 Stagg ukes for $20 each with the intent of selling them for $30 each in your store (or Uke & Popsicle stand at the County Fair), and half came in broken, you might have a bit of a problem with a claim there.​

In either event, you have to try and solve the problem with the entity to whom you sent the money, before you have a snowball's chance in Waikiki of PayPal doing anything.

I am not a lawyer. I don't play one on TV. (While I have several relatives who are lawyers, I have very little contact with them, especially as one is a Postal Inspector, one works for the DEA, and one has something to do with high end real estate in NYC and NJ.)

The way I interpret the two statements above is, if the item is "Significantly Not As Described", you may not have to return it to get a refund, OR the seller may have to pay the shipping if you return it. Item intended for resale are just that: Things you purchase (usually in quantity) that you intend to sell to others.
a) You bought a Moore Bettah uke for $2300 with the intention of immediately turning around and selling it for $5000 and found out it was a More Butter Ukulele, you aren't covered. (Of course, PayPal has to prove you were buying it for resale purposes, and Fraud is still Fraud, in this case.) or
b) If you bought 30 Stagg ukes for $20 each with the intent of selling them for $30 each in your store (or Uke & Popsicle stand at the County Fair), and half came in broken, you might have a bit of a problem with a claim there.​

In either event, you have to try and solve the problem with the entity to whom you sent the money, before you have a snowball's chance in Waikiki of PayPal doing anything.

This was also my interpretation after the initial surprise wore off at first announcement. My expectation is that we will hopefully all be fine and still have the same protections in normal course transactions.

This will have a meaningful impact on the collector / flipping market for a lot of other communities though (e.g. streetwear). For better or worse, ukes tend not to rise 30% in value from retail as soon as you buy them...in fact they usually go 30% in the other direction.

I had read the new policies, and was confused by them.

Isn't that the whole point. when you file a claim, they can interpret their contract any way they want.

I'm trying to get $51 back from a bogus online sale. The seller provided PayPal with a UPS delivery confirmation for a different person at a different address, and it was a package from Amazon, not the seller. Because PP has a delivery confirmation, they say they're off the hook. I sent letters to PayPal, UPS, and my credit card bank.

PayPal is the business of making money, not refunding it.

It's a very widespread problem amongst PayPal customers. It's not difficult to understand why this is happening because once you understand the entire operational architecture of this payment system, you can understand a lot of things, but this may appear to a basic human as a fraud or something similar. I'll tell you right away that you don't have to be concerned about it. It's referred to as a clashing code element. If it happens frequently, however, you can contact a company like intl-payments.com, which will quickly resolve your issue. This group of experts has already saved my company on many occasions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom