Six new LfdM tenors at HMS

Perhaps Luis realized he can't build them for what he used to and still keep the quality.

Or, HMS increased their markup. Or both.

Prices have gone up significantly over the past couple of years on all of the ukes that are hyped here, not just custom builders. We all contributed to this price increase by creating high demand.

When I started looking for an LFdM, they were 1800 Canadian Dollars. When I finally got mine, it was 3250 USD. That was five years ago. Same goes for many other makers, not just at the highest end, but also the K brands, Romero Creations, Pono, Opio, Rebel, Anuenue, etc. I just hope that the extra money is distributed fairly along the production lines, back to the builders, but also to the lumberjacks etc. And I'm happy for everyone along the line to be able to make a decent living out of what they do, be it selling, advertising, building, or cutting down wood.

Last edited:
I will weigh in on this a little. I have information that I don’t what to share but let’s just say that Luis doesn’t get rich making these instruments. Actually his wife states he makes less then minimum wage if you factor in how many hours he puts into these instruments. I visit his shop often and I can attest to this.

When I bought my first tenor almost 5 years ago it cost me $2800.00 CDN. In the following years as the CDN kept loosing ground compared to USD he had to charge USD because all of his materials are purchased from the US. That is the only price change I have seen him make in the 5 years since dealing with him. My last instrument bought two years ago, the 19” super tenor was $3800 USD and I live in Canada, about 10 minutes away from Luis.

Oh and by the way it is worth way more then that in terms of beauty, craftsmanship and most importantly tone and playability. If these qualities are important to you the new tenors at HMS are a bargain!!!

Last edited:
Actually, I thought they would be more expensive. The two with the Redwood tops sound amazing but it's not a good look. I'd go for the Cedar/Cocobolo myself which has both the looks and the sound.

Well stated

We can’t really place a price tag on a well built hand crafted instrument !
These are one of a kind. It is meant to be loved for life.
I own two lfdm .... the joy of playing them are simply priceless !! It is the best things I have ever bought for myself.
Highly recommended!!

Love the LFdM tenor you picture in your YouTube video header Brenda. Just gorgeous. Is that leopard wood on the faceplate and rosette?

I am thrilled with the Bearclaw Spruce/Koa I acquired from a UU Member. It sounds as good as it looks. And plays just as easy.

Last edited:
Remember, "LSMFT"? :D

I suspect only those of us who have attained the title of "Elder" will remember that.

"Lucky Strikes Mean Fine Tobacco"

I also remember a rather crude version that will not be mentioned here. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom