Snail SUT-M1 Tenor Ukulele

bazmaz

Reaction score
I think Snail has a good idea, building quality laminated ukes. It keeps the price down, without sacrificing too much tone. I'll bet a set of Worth Brown strings would mellow this uke out.
I do think that solid color fretboards are really boring to look at. But, except for wrap around fret markers, I don't like bling on them either. I much prefer some color there like sapwood and heartwood together, like my Cocobolo Ukulele has, makes it much more interesting to look at.
I helped a new ukulele player pick out her 1st uke, we landed on a Snail, and she loves it. Alas, that dealer was forced to close his doors early in the pandemic crisis.

Thanks Nickie!

Would be fun experimenting with strings - alas - this is not mine!

I've always liked the look of Snail ukes. They seem very similar to Flight however. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Flight uke myself but I would have no problem recommending Snail ukes for a beginner or as a mid-tier uke. I'd certainly prefer them over the ubiquitous Kalas and Ohanas and the like.

Another good , fair review. I also agree that it is good that snail make a nice laminate. I’ve only ventured into the solid top laminate with my Tiny Tenor and it’s fine. I’d like to try a Snail laminate but no dealers in Canada. By the way the TT solid/laminate made sense given US to Canada exchanges when I bought it ........ WOW do you folks in the UK get hammered on price on the TT.

I think having a good sounding laminate is a good thing. I wish more quality laminate were being offered in my area. Kinda tired of getting hit so hard with US exchange rates.

Thanks for posting.

Another good , fair review. I also agree that it is good that snail make a nice laminate. I’ve only ventured into the solid top laminate with my Tiny Tenor and it’s fine. I’d like to try a Snail laminate but no dealers in Canada. By the way the TT solid/laminate made sense given US to Canada exchanges when I bought it ........ WOW do you folks in the UK get hammered on price on the TT.

I think having a good sounding laminate is a good thing. I wish more quality laminate were being offered in my area. Kinda tired of getting hit so hard with US exchange rates.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you - yes I agree - Snail are a sound alternative choice for the laminates. Don't overlook their solid ukes though either - really rather nice!

(Yes the TT is prohibitively costly here - or at least it was..)

Laminates are preferred in areas where the rh varies widely, like mine. High quality laminates seem to me the safest bets. Thanks for the review!

That does look a nice uke, I'd take it in soprano like that if I could. Ball ends on nylon strings? Never seen that before!

That does look a nice uke, I'd take it in soprano like that if I could. Ball ends on nylon strings? Never seen that before!

No - not really ball ends - regular strings. It's just that with this method of bridge tying, you often find that they tie a bead on the end to create a stopper. Tying an overly large knot would work just as well - just something to stop the string coming through the hole.

Agreed. The rings in question are ends off electric or acoustic guitar string. Uke string is pushed thru and tied to it. I’ve used beads before. They work find. I don’t like knots, I’ve had them pull thru before. But, best method, albeit a little more expensive are the Tie Blocks that are soldd for ukuleles and classic guitars. You eVe they thru some holes in block. They work great.

Top Bottom