Uke Logic Disappointments

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I love trying new strings and recently began exploring Uke Logic. I began with a set of the high tensions with wound low G. I love the wound G even though I usually prefer unwound strings but the high tension set was just not for me. I tried tuning down and that worked for awhile but I decided I didn't want strings I had to tune down to enjoy playing.

I then put a low tension low D set on my baritone which was fine except the E string sounded jarringly out of synch with the others to the point I found myself having to finesse the E string to tone it down. Finally I just replaced the E with one from Worth and problem solved.

I have another set of low tensions I bought for a tenor but I hesitate to even try them at this point. My uke logic journey so far has been less than satisfying.

My first thought is: did you reach out to Joel at HMS (as he is UkeLogic) about the issue? This isn't about a product like those made by Martin where an e-mail to the company might go unanswered for months. As a very small business (maybe just Joel), I think he would want your feedback and a chance to address the issue.

Maybe you did that already--but if not, I know I would appreciate the chance to address concerns before a negative report was shared on a public forum.

I also have no problem with people sharing that negative things happened in the process of a solution. I just like seeing companies having the chance to respond and provide customer service.

I agree with Choirguy about contacting Joel. He put a lot into the making of these strings and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you. It sounds like you might not have the right strings for what you're trying to achieve. The high tensions are meant to be that, and it's been noted on here that they really are high. The low tensions feel just about normal to me,and sound great on my tenor, very well balanced. Did you put a baritone set on your bari? I'm assuming you did. I've not tried them, but not every string set is complementary to every instrument and wood type, as we know.

Also, he has a money-back warranty.

Last edited:
I take the view that honest, fair, negative comments should be posted publicly because they are valid data points. Of course, if later resolved positively with the seller, that should also be a data point. So hopefully, the OP did / does reach out to Joel, and this gets solved for him. I have no doubt it will.

For the uke logic strings, I've posted this elsewhere, but on the tenor light tensions, while I don't love the A string, but will say the C and E strings are among the best I have ever heard--an actual joy to fingerpick. I've come to realize no string set is perfect...at least not yet...but each has things that you like about it that make it worth trying. Joel, if you're reading this, work your magic on that A string and I'll be back for more next time!

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't reach out to HMS because I'm not interested in a "resolution" to my issues or another set of strings as replacements. I just wanted to post my impressions which may not be what others experienced with these strings. I see lots of positive reviews of Uke Logic here and I'm sure those are valid opinions based on a different experience. Strings are pretty much an individual preference and as we know some folks swear by fishing line. I wanted to try Uke Logic, I did and now I can move on to find new strings I like better.

I appreciate your input. It is always good to get different points of view for balance.

Did you try the tenor set?

I've tried a lot of string sets and have not found one perfect for my needs. The solution was to customize by mixing and matching sets or, my ultimate solution, roll my own from Seaguar Pink and Premiere fluorocarbon fishing line. I usually prefer a little heavier A string than provided by "light" sets and like a round wound composite low G (D'Addario .028" singles). Incidentally, I suspect the magenta tint Logic strings are Seaguar Pink (a little sweeter sounding than Premiere).

Incidentally, I suspect the magenta tint Logic strings are Seaguar Pink (a little sweeter sounding than Premiere).

They're not. I asked Joel this right off the bat and he said no. So now you'll have to try them and give us the comparison! :)

I would bet that Joel would like to know each customer's issues anyway. Or else, how can he fix them?
I may not like Aquila strings, but by god Mimmo listens, and replies.

The closest I have come to liking a set, or sets of strings is Worth Browns, on 3 of my ukes. Another uke has a set of Oasis on it, and it probably plays better with those than it has in 8 years of owning it.

Other sets have been good, except for a nasty, dull sounding C string. I have no idea what causes some C strings to be so worthless, maybe I'm a crummy player.

I would bet that Joel would like to know each customer's issues anyway. Or else, how can he fix them?
I may not like Aquila strings, but by god Mimmo listens, and replies.

Nickie...I'm of the same mindset. This isn't Martin (although Aquila is making their new premium strings, which are basically supposed to be the old Lava strings). It's a guy whose day job is setting up ukuleles, who would probably appreciate the feedback and a chance to make things right.

As I review ukuleles, i make sure to send feedback to the companies that send me models to review, for good or for bad, with the hopes that they'll integrate the suggestions. And if they choose to ignore the suggestions, that's okay, too.

This isn't Martin (although Aquila is making their new premium strings, which are basically supposed to be the old Lava strings).

Carbon Black, not Lava. The Lava strings are still in production by Aquila and are the same as Super Nylgut but coloured black. The Martin Premium strings are the same as Carbon Blacks which are not manufactured by that name anymore and are basically black fluorocarbon strings (with an absolutely horrible nasty feel to them, yuck).

I'm still waiting on my Uke Logic delivery. After I ordered them from Etsy I got a dispatch notification with a note from Joel telling me to send him a message if I needed any assistance regarding the strings. He's pretty clearly encouraging feedback on the strings so if I was the OP I would definitely send him a message.

I am looking for a tenor set that includes the labella brass low G and it seems that these uke logics have that option. But it is so confusing that they are labelled by tension and not by size/gauge. While the gauges are listed in the details, there is no information on what that actually means in terms of tension for the different scales. I think I will pass and order the actual LaBella set that also has the low G.

I am looking for a tenor set that includes the labella brass low G and it seems that these uke logics have that option. But it is so confusing that they are labelled by tension and not by size/gauge. While the gauges are listed in the details, there is no information on what that actually means in terms of tension for the different scales. I think I will pass and order the actual LaBella set that also has the low G.
Plus shipping from HI to Canada is high, about double the cost of the set of strings. As others have mentioned here, Joel really does respond quickly and informatively, so if you're curious and want to have his thoughts about your questions, it's worth sending him a note through his Etsy site.

I love trying new strings and recently began exploring Uke Logic. I began with a set of the high tensions with wound low G. I love the wound G even though I usually prefer unwound strings but the high tension set was just not for me. I tried tuning down and that worked for awhile but I decided I didn't want strings I had to tune down to enjoy playing.

I then put a low tension low D set on my baritone which was fine except the E string sounded jarringly out of synch with the others to the point I found myself having to finesse the E string to tone it down. Finally I just replaced the E with one from Worth and problem solved.

I have another set of low tensions I bought for a tenor but I hesitate to even try them at this point. My uke logic journey so far has been less than satisfying.
Different tastes for everyone. I like Worth Clears but couldn’t get the Worth Browns off my tenor fast enough and those are pretty popular. The Uke Logic softs have been my current go to strings for tenors. Good clarity and tone. They seem like a good jack of all trades for me playing fingerstyle and chord melody but they aren’t for everyone. I have a set of Uke Logic with wound low D in line the next time I restring my baritone too. As others have said, Joel definitely welcomes feedback. And you never know if the strings fit your style and uke until you try them…

My uke logic journey so far has been less than satisfying.

Nobody here questions your taste in strings. Like what you like, dislike what you dislike.

Everybody here is jumping up and down telling you to get in touch with Joel because that's when your Uke Logic journey actually begins. Strings are strings, but even if you wind up just asking for a refund, your contact with Joel will be one of the best experiences in your broader ukulele journey.

I don't know of anyone who'll make a greater effort to build you exactly the set you're looking for. Anecdotally and by no means an official statement from Joel, but it seems to me that maybe half of what he sells is custom string sets. He's got a variety of low Gs in his bag of tricks, and I know folks who order hard tension outside strings and soft tension inside strings, or a hard C to balance a wound G, and soft E and A, etc., etc., etc. Joel LOVES building custom sets.

THAT'S why people feel so strongly about Uke Logic. He cares about doing the right thing as much as anyone you'll ever encounter. He'd rather give you back your money than have you unhappy, but he might well be able to make you happy with one of his alternatives.

It would be a shame to miss out on either letting him send you a better-fitted set, or just giving you a refund, because you feel a need to publicly express your perfectly understandable disappointment and hesitation, without giving Joel the chance to do what he's most famous for.

You may think that you have enough strings or enough problems in your life that you don't need to "waste your time" getting in touch, but I promise that you don't have so many genuinely nice people who'll go so far out of their way to help you in your life that you should miss out on speaking with Joel. 😊

Last edited:
Whether his strings work for your situation or not, I would bet Joel is the more knowledgeable about strings, generally, than anyone else in the ukulele community. He’s encyclopedic on the topic.

And if you call TUS with a question about ukuleles, he’s great with that, too. Based on my playing use and other preferences, he helped me narrow my choices down to two. I could not be happier than I am with my Moon Bird UT200 😀

Top Bottom