Uke Logic Disappointments

I have no idea what causes some C strings to be so worthless, maybe I'm a crummy player.
I'm glad to hear you say this because feel exactly the same way. The C often feels rude. LOL Too loud, resonating too long, sometimes when I don't even touch it.

Also, one downside I'm finding with a radiused fretboard is that it's just too easy to hit the C both more often and harder than I mean to. That's definitely on me, and there are enough other advantages that I'll probably get one on my next uke, but I'm very conscious of having to make a lot more effort to manage the C.

I've heard some people adding wound C strings to try to tame them, but it seems to me that that'd only make it louder.

The thing I'm thinking about trying next is UL hard tensions for everything but the C, and using soft tension for that one. And Joel will of course be happy to sell me that combo every time if that's what I settle on. 😁

Last edited:
I bought a Moonbird Tenor from TUS a while back. I'm not a very experienced player and have a few ukes that really like. After a while, i asked myself why I had an aversion to playing the Moonbird as opposed to my others. It came to me that, while the tone is beautiful, it's kind of painful to play. Not excruciating - almost imperceptible - but just enough to take away the enjoyment.

As a side discussion with Veronica in a very long (48 minutes) and helpful conversation with her at TUS, I mentioned this and she suggested Uke Logic low tension strings as a possible solution. They were applied as soon as they arrived and the difference was remarkable - in the positive direction. A friend who is a professional classical guitarist whom I'm trying to get to upgrade to the ukulele tried the Moionbird with the black stock strings and with the Uke Logic had the same experience.

I bought a Moonbird Tenor from TUS a while back. I'm not a very experienced player and have a few ukes that really like. After a while, i asked myself why I had an aversion to playing the Moonbird as opposed to my others. It came to me that, while the tone is beautiful, it's kind of painful to play. Not excruciating - almost imperceptible - but just enough to take away the enjoyment.

As a side discussion with Veronica in a very long (48 minutes) and helpful conversation with her at TUS, I mentioned this and she suggested Uke Logic low tension strings as a possible solution. They were applied as soon as they arrived and the difference was remarkable - in the positive direction. A friend who is a professional classical guitarist whom I'm trying to get to upgrade to the ukulele tried the Moionbird with the black stock strings and with the Uke Logic had the same experience.
Interesting! I’m glad you found a solution. I really like the stock strings, and a friend who always gets radiused necks likes them too. When the time comes, I’ll likely replace them with UL strings, just to compare, but I’m in no rush to do that. I might even remember to post my findings. But it’s unlikely.

Nobody here questions your taste in strings. Like what you like, dislike what you dislike.

Everybody here is jumping up and down telling you to get in touch with Joel because that's when your Uke Logic journey actually begins. Strings are strings, but even if you wind up just asking for a refund, your contact with Joel will be one of the best experiences in your broader ukulele journey.

I don't know of anyone who'll make a greater effort to build you exactly the set you're looking for. Anecdotally and by no means an official statement from Joel, but it seems to me that maybe half of what he sells is custom string sets. He's got a variety of low Gs in his bag of tricks, and I know folks who order hard tension outside strings and soft tension inside strings, or a hard C to balance a wound G, and soft E and A, etc., etc., etc. Joel LOVES building custom sets.

THAT'S why people feel so strongly about Uke Logic. He cares about doing the right thing as much as anyone you'll ever encounter. He'd rather give you back your money than have you unhappy, but he might well be able to make you happy with one of his alternatives.

It would be a shame to miss out on either letting him send you a better-fitted set, or just giving you a refund, because you feel a need to publicly express your perfectly understandable disappointment and hesitation, without giving Joel the chance to do what he's most famous for.

You may think that you have enough strings or enough problems in your life that you don't need to "waste your time" getting in touch, but I promise that you don't have so many genuinely nice people who'll go so far out of their way to help you in your life that you should miss out on speaking with Joel. 😊
Nobody here questions your taste in strings. Like what you like, dislike what you dislike.

Everybody here is jumping up and down telling you to get in touch with Joel because that's when your Uke Logic journey actually begins. Strings are strings, but even if you wind up just asking for a refund, your contact with Joel will be one of the best experiences in your broader ukulele journey.

I don't know of anyone who'll make a greater effort to build you exactly the set you're looking for. Anecdotally and by no means an official statement from Joel, but it seems to me that maybe half of what he sells is custom string sets. He's got a variety of low Gs in his bag of tricks, and I know folks who order hard tension outside strings and soft tension inside strings, or a hard C to balance a wound G, and soft E and A, etc., etc., etc. Joel LOVES building custom sets.

THAT'S why people feel so strongly about Uke Logic. He cares about doing the right thing as much as anyone you'll ever encounter. He'd rather give you back your money than have you unhappy, but he might well be able to make you happy with one of his alternatives.

It would be a shame to miss out on either letting him send you a better-fitted set, or just giving you a refund, because you feel a need to publicly express your perfectly understandable disappointment and hesitation, without giving Joel the chance to do what he's most famous for.

You may think that you have enough strings or enough problems in your life that you don't need to "waste your time" getting in touch, but I promise that you don't have so many genuinely nice people who'll go so far out of their way to help you in your life that you should miss out on speaking with Joel. 😊
This post is pretty perfect Tim. And I think if I remember correctly, Uke Logics come with a piece of paper that says basically this right here. I have always just used the stock uke logics sets, but I do remember reading in the marketing that comes with the strings that the preferred experience with Uke Logic is really to start with a stock set and if you’re not satisfied there, call Joel and start talking custom. I guess I enjoy the stock sets so much that I kind of forgot about that.

I agree with Choirguy about contacting Joel. He put a lot into the making of these strings and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you. It sounds like you might not have the right strings for what you're trying to achieve. The high tensions are meant to be that, and it's been noted on here that they really are high. The low tensions feel just about normal to me,and sound great on my tenor, very well balanced. Did you put a baritone set on your bari? I'm assuming you did. I've not tried them, but not every string set is complementary to every instrument and wood type, as we know.

Also, he has a money-back warranty.
Joel has said that his "Low Tension" are normal tension strings. Just lower than his high tension strings.

He is very responsive to questions and is eager to help.

Whether his strings work for your situation or not, I would bet Joel is the more knowledgeable about strings, generally, than anyone else in the ukulele community. He’s encyclopedic on the topic.

And if you call TUS with a question about ukuleles, he’s great with that, too. Based on my playing use and other preferences, he helped me narrow my choices down to two. I could not be happier than I am with my Moon Bird UT200 😀
I think I'd love to hear Joel and Mimmo discuss strings at a symposium. It would be fascinating and illuminating.

I think I'd love to hear Joel and Mimmo discuss strings at a symposium. It would be fascinating and illuminating.
That would be sick.

there is an episode of brad’s Live Ukulele podcast where he talks strings with Joel, that’s actually where I first heard of uke logic I believe.

Maybe Brad can moderate a discussion between Joel and Mimmo for his podcast?

I've definitely spent a good few hours over the past few years talking ukuleles and strings with Joel. Folks should not be shy about reaching out for advice on ukes and strings. He also will help you come up with custom sets to meet your needs, as others have mentioned.

That post on Uke Logic strings was made six months ago.

Since then I've discovered that the E string problem on my baritone was a one time issue. I'm still not a fan of the high tension sets but that's me.

I have several brands of strings I like depending on the ukulele. Fremont Blacklines, Pop Koaloha's UkeSA strings and Uke Logic especially for baritones. The fact that I can mix in Thomastik-Infeld wound acoustic guitar strings to a set is really neat although their own smooth wound D is excellent.

I just ordered some new strings from Uke Logic and an error was made in shipping but was corrected with a notifying email from Joel before they were due to arrive.

That post on Uke Logic strings was made six months ago.

Since then I've discovered that the E string problem on my baritone was a one time issue. I'm still not a fan of the high tension sets but that's me.

I have several brands of strings I like depending on the ukulele. Fremont Blacklines, Pop Koaloha's UkeSA strings and Uke Logic especially for baritones. The fact that I can mix in Thomastik-Infeld wound acoustic guitar strings to a set is really neat although their own smooth wound D is excellent.

I just ordered some new strings from Uke Logic and an error was made in shipping but was corrected with a notifying email from Joel before they were due to arrive.
Actually two years and six months ago I think!

I don't really have much to add to the actual string discussion but this caught my attention. I noticed a similar issue with my Moon Bird soprano. The stock strings felt really tense for me to play, and that's on a soprano scale where the string tension shouldn't be an issue. I've noticed the same on other ukes like the KoAloha that I once had although the issue wasn't quite as severe.

I'm 99% certain the cause of the issue is the size of the frets. ANueNue use really large jumbo frets at least on their higher-end ukes. This means that it's actually quite hard and painful if you push the string right up against the fretboard. Once I learned not to do that I actually started to prefer slightly larger frets. Makes my playing a bit easier. As mentioned, I struggled a bit with the KoAloha as well but not nearly as much as with the Moon Bird. Low tension strings will obviously alleviate the issue. It's quite weird that the feel of the strings is so harsh with strings like Worth Browns or the stock aNueNue strings but I would urge every Moon Bird owner to keep at it and learn how to play with the larger frets. Once you get the hang of it they are actually quite lovely.

I don't really have much to add to the actual string discussion but this caught my attention. I noticed a similar issue with my Moon Bird soprano. The stock strings felt really tense for me to play, and that's on a soprano scale where the string tension shouldn't be an issue. I've noticed the same on other ukes like the KoAloha that I once had although the issue wasn't quite as severe.

I'm 99% certain the cause of the issue is the size of the frets. ANueNue use really large jumbo frets at least on their higher-end ukes. This means that it's actually quite hard and painful if you push the string right up against the fretboard. Once I learned not to do that I actually started to prefer slightly larger frets. Makes my playing a bit easier. As mentioned, I struggled a bit with the KoAloha as well but not nearly as much as with the Moon Bird. Low tension strings will obviously alleviate the issue. It's quite weird that the feel of the strings is so harsh with strings like Worth Browns or the stock aNueNue strings but I would urge every Moon Bird owner to keep at it and learn how to play with the larger frets. Once you get the hang of it they are actually quite lovely.
The AMM3 as well...

I remember from an episode of TUS that they said the action needs to be adjusted for high tension. From memory, you can lower the action to make it easier on your fingers and TUS set up for the high tension sets.... But it's a bit finicky just to try.

I remember from an episode of TUS that they said the action needs to be adjusted for high tension. From memory, you can lower the action to make it easier on your fingers and TUS set up for the high tension sets.... But it's a bit finicky just to try.
So then do you need a higher saddle for low tension? Would be nice if they also had a normal tension set that can be used for everything without adjustments.

+1 for Joel here also. I've corresponded with him on a few instruments I've purchased from HMS. He consistently comes across as a ukulele enthusiast who's more stoked about other players being excited about their instruments and setups than the financial stuff.

This is a great topic and I do wonder why fret size hasn't already appeared in a separate thread. Being used to jumbo frets, I recently purchased a Japanese tenor with smaller frets and realized that I needed to change my technique in order to hold the notes to my satisfaction.

Top Bottom