Elephant in the room

StigW

Reaction score
I'm not normally pessimistic, but has anyone considered this:
Live performances of small groups of artists will eventually resume, maybe with screens, well-ventilated stages, etc.
But is there a possibility that the ukulele group get-together that we know and love (and I do not mean on Zoom, thank you) may NEVER happen again?

It's not something that I'm sure anyone here wants to think about.

Live performances of small groups of artists will eventually resume, maybe with screens, well-ventilated stages, etc.
But is there a possibility that the ukulele group get-together that we know and love (and I do not mean on Zoom, thank you) may NEVER happen again?

No. You're just being pessimistic. Here in the U.S. we blew it. There's a second wave of virus. This too shall pass...eventually. And then we'll all resume where we left off. In the meantime try to find silver-linings wherever they occur. Use the time to build up your skills. Or I am enjoying the financial savings. You save 20% on food whenever you take-out some comestibles from your favorite restaurant because you don't have to tip.

There is no second wave, just one long drawn out pandemic until there is no pandemic.

I see ukulele groups starting to meet up again. The ones I see are meeting at outside venues and practicing recommended safe distance guidelines. Mask wearing is happening at these group meeting as well.

I don't know what will happen when the weather turns again as to inside group meets.

My local group just announced an outdoor jam in a couple of weeks, social distancing is encouraged, but masks seem to be optional. That's enough for me to say thanks, but no thanks. I'm older than dirt but that doesn't mean I want to be dumped in a hole and covered with dirt. :rolleyes:

I think the answer depends on what part of the country you live in. I'm in Connecticut and hospitalizations continue to decline. Almost everyone is doing what's needed to get past this. It's very rare to see someone in a market or store without a mask. In particular our governor has done an amazing job of navigating this crisis. I didn't vote for him but he's got my vote next election.
My godson and his wife relocated to Phoenix last fall. I facetimed with him a couple of weeks ago. He said that bars/restaurants with outdoor patios are packed shoulder to shoulder. I also have a former high school teacher in Florida who says pretty much the same thing.
My wife and I were kidding about moving to New Zealand! It seems like they really handled this whole pandemic the right way.

It is only a matter of time before this virus goes the way of others and stops being an obstacle to normal life but how much time is the big question and one to which I doubt that there is one all encompassing answer.

Like in the USA and elsewhere here in the U.K. the spread of the virus is very variable as is how people are treating it: some people are simply way more responsible than others. From a personal perspective I’m fed up with being restrained but at the same time know that I must continue to social distance and generally act in a responsible way. As such indoor Ukulele meetings ain’t going to be happening for me for many months and possibly not until some time next year. However I play my Uke most days and so maintain skills and familiarity with music, the time can be put to good use.

As you Americans say: ‘When you’re given Lemons then make Lemonade’. I think that a lot of folk are making the best of their time at home, it isn’t necessarily easy to work with what you’re given but some manage to and there have been pluses to come out of this crisis.

Last edited:
There will be an inoculation for the virus, which will allow us to go back to the way it was, in the mean time, I'm not having a problem staying home or wearing a mask and keeping social distance when I go the supermarket and such. In these circumstances, I'm perfectly fine doing Zoom sessions with my group, and even connect to other groups now as well from the Northwest all the way to London.

My apartment has never been as organized and kempt, and after gaining about 8 pounds cooking so much, I've taken control and lost 5 pounds in the last week by only eating smaller meals at 9-11-1-3-5-7, going for another 20 I've gained in the last 15 years. I always try to make the best of a situation.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I suspect it will be a long time before things get back to normal in the USA. Even when an inoculation is developed, it is bound to be expensive and, yeah, what an opportunity for big drug companies. Between the anti-vaxx folks and poor (i.e., uninsured) a large percentage of the population will not be vaccinated. Plus, it appears this type of vaccination will require boosters every 6 months to a year to remain effective...

Our group held an outdoor jam last week. Masks and social distancing required. It was a bit odd, but the weather cooperated and it was great seeing folks again (and not “playing” on Zoom)!

No. You're just being pessimistic. Here in the U.S. we blew it. There's a second wave of virus. This too shall pass...eventually. And then we'll all resume where we left off. In the meantime try to find silver-linings wherever they occur. Use the time to build up your skills. Or I am enjoying the financial savings. You save 20% on food whenever you take-out some comestibles from your favorite restaurant because you don't have to tip.

OTOH, when I patronize local establishments to stimulate the economy....
I tip very well —- they need it, and are sharing with their furloughed employees.

You're being pessimistic, because you're being encouraged to be pessimistic.

Thing is disease just LOVES Big Cities, and the Big Cities, especially NYC where the major media all are based, REALLY took the Stupid Pills. Going with NYC, when the US restricted entry from China, Mayor DeBlaso told everyone to have a big party and hug everyone they could find. I WISH I were kidding . . .

You just have to get away from the Big Cities and stop watching the major networks whose motto remains, "If it Bleeds, it Leads."

The big challenge for any social group during all this is to maintain contact. I’m afraid our group won’t be nearly as active after we can meet again, even though we’ve kept our Facebook page going and have jammed via Zoom. Once you change routines they can be hard to resume.

Living as I do, in the middle of rural France, there is absolutely no chance of ukulele group meet-ups at the best of times and I rely on the Forum (and, in particular, the Seasons) to get my dose of uke time. In so far as the virus is concerned - and, in France, it has become "LA" Covid - feminine!!!! - I have a feeling that things have been handled a lot better over here than in the UK, and certainly better than in the States! As I see it, and, as I believe your scientists are telling you, in the States you are still experiencing the first wave of Coronavirus and the appalling figures you have can only be due to the rash re-opening of venues far before the appropriate time and the inability of an awful lot of people to observe social distancing. In fact, the exercise of caution - both in distancing and mask wearing - seems to have become a political issue! Totally unbelievable!!!

There is a splinter group from our club that is getting together weekly outside. So far I've stuck with the main group on zoom. It isn't just groups though. I busk a lot in the summer at festivals and farmers markets. I also do a coffee shop gig on occasion. Those are out this summer as well. All the festivals have been cancelled, no live music at the farmers market. That is my biggest hardship from this all.

The thing for me is I'm not a youngster myself. And while I'm in pretty good health for my age, my in-laws are not and they depend on my wife and me for a lot. Right now my daughter and her husband are working from home with two kids under four and the child care is closed. We are picking up a lot of the slack for them. I can't afford to get sick and pass it on.

Last edited:

"Never" is a long time. It's not going to happen in my groups this year, even though NY is doing very well with the virus. Some people will avoid groups for the rest of their lives.

Living as I do, in the middle of rural France, there is absolutely no chance of ukulele group meet-ups at the best of times and I rely on the Forum (and, in particular, the Seasons) to get my dose of uke time. In so far as the virus is concerned - and, in France, it has become "LA" Covid - feminine!!!! - I have a feeling that things have been handled a lot better over here than in the UK, and certainly better than in the States! As I see it, and, as I believe your scientists are telling you, in the States you are still experiencing the first wave of Coronavirus and the appalling figures you have can only be due to the rash re-opening of venues far before the appropriate time and the inability of an awful lot of people to observe social distancing. In fact, the exercise of caution - both in distancing and mask wearing - seems to have become a political issue! Totally unbelievable!!!

But the economy!!! :D :D :D

Unbelievable? Definitely. Stupid people do stupid things.

You're being pessimistic, because you're being encouraged to be pessimistic.

Thing is disease just LOVES Big Cities, and the Big Cities, especially NYC where the major media all are based, REALLY took the Stupid Pills. Going with NYC, when the US restricted entry from China, Mayor DeBlaso told everyone to have a big party and hug everyone they could find. I WISH I were kidding . . .

You just have to get away from the Big Cities and stop watching the major networks whose motto remains, "If it Bleeds, it Leads."

Our town has 9000 people. The virus has started to become a big problem here because about half of the people refuse to wear masks and aren't social distancing.

Being small, we don't have the hospital systems and facilities that large cities do. We have 50 confirmed cases right now. Half of which are 20-30 years old.

Recent studies are showing that the small micro droplets exhaled from talking and singing can hang in the air for a long time. Especially in enclosed spaces with limited ventilation. This is most dangerous when people occupy the spaces for long periods of time. IE: Meetings, gatherings. This results in people breathing in sufficient quantities of the virus to take hold in the person's respiratory system. Masks help, but aren't 100% effective for long-term exposure. And the virus collects on the outside surface of the mask. So touching it and then your face without washing your hands first is a real problem.

OTOH, when I patronize local establishments to stimulate the economy....
I tip very well —- they need it, and are sharing with their furloughed employees.

Agreed. The restaurants I order take-out from are those I would normally give my custom to, but health issues (elderly parents, I'm in the worrisome age/health group), and working for a school district are saying "play it safe". I'm generally tipping 30%, mostly to help out those who take care of me, but also to cover for those who don't feel like tipping.

Top Bottom