Points to ponder

Nickie

Reaction score
Imagine you were born in 1900.
When you're 14, World War I begins and ends when you're 18 with 22 million dead.
Soon after a global pandemic, the Spanish Flu, appears, killing 50 million people. And you're alive and 20 years old.
When you're 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange, causing inflation, unemployment and famine.
When you're 33 years old the Nazis come to power.
When you're 39, World War II begins and ends when you're 45 years old with a 60 million dead. In the Holocaust 6 million Jews die.
When you're 52, the Korean War begins.
When you're 64, the Vietnam War begins and ends when you're 75.
A child born in 1985 thinks his grandparents have no idea how difficult life is, but they have survived several wars and catastrophes.
Today we have all the comforts in a new world, amid a new pandemic. But we complain because we need to wear masks. We complain because we must stay confined to our homes where we have food, electricity, running water, wifi, even Netflix! None of that existed back in the day. But humanity survived those circumstances and never lost their joy of living.
A small change in our perspective can generate miracles. We should be thankful that we are alive. We should do everything we need to do to protect and help each other.

Very thoughtful post, Nickie. Thank you.

I am a baby boomer and was very aware of my parents growing up in the depression and WWII. My father served in WWII and in Korea. The only long-term cataclysmic event for me was the Vietnam War, because my older friends/cousins were drafted or stayed in college forever and it was in the news cycle for years.

My adult children have memories of the World Trade Center, but that did not affect their daily lives in a way they noticed. So this really is their first lifestyle changing event. Your post puts some perspective on the behavior of some in this pandemic.

Last edited:
Great thoughts. Sometimes it helps to put things in perspective

Well said, Nickie. Having the right attitude, and being able to put things into perspective, are both essential life skills. The third essential skill is having a good sense of humor. When the first and second skill are lacking, I employ the third. :)

Last edited:
Moving from a Subjective frame of reference (immaturity) to a more Objective
frame of reference (maturity) is the process of growing up (maturing).

People are where they are in the overall process... and some just have not made
much progress... yet :(

We all mature as ukulele players as we practice and stick with it (persevere).

We can mature, similarly, by living, learning, and carrying on (hopefully with a
smile on our face and a ukulele in our hands) :)

keep uke'in', everyone! :)

Great stuff here, right on, coming from another Baby Boomer and a child of Holocaust survivors (Auschwitz, Maidonic and Bergen-Belsen). I have no problem what-so-ever wearing a mask, it's totally about showing my concern for my fellow citizen, not my comfort. I also enjoy participating in various ukulele Zoom sessions as an alternative to group meetings, making the best of it, instead of making it a negative experience, as some members of my group have done. Thank you Nickie.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom