Bending Wood

Portland Guitar

Reaction score
I wrote an informational article about how wood is bent for sides and other parts. It's pretty long so I'm not going to post it in it's entirety here. The short version is that steam is really cool. We can bend wood by using only a soaked piece of wood and clamps but it has to be a thin piece. A guitar side is bent using a heating pad and water to create steam at close contact then apply pressure at the middle,upper and lower bout the conform the side to a jig. My theory is that steam lubricates the fibers of the wood to make them slip next to each other. Check it out here: How to bend wood for guitars

Here is the bending machine we use bending machine.jpg
It is a variation of a fox bending machine.

we also soak pieces of wood in water and then put them in the oven.
braces-5.jpg

My theory is that steam lubricates the fibers of the wood to make them slip next to each other.

The heat softens up a component called lignin that holds the fibers in place. Steam can help as moisture lowers the temperature that the lignin goes plastic.

Bedt of luck soaking curly timber. Brazilian rosewood does not require any water for the bending process, hand or machine. Compare this with the Taylor Guitars process of dry bending, Chuck's very successful 'wet bag' technique, Robbie O 'Brian's wet cloth and strap method... there are so many different ways of doing this.

It's true, there are lots of ways to do this. Thank you for the biology, I was struggling to figure that out. I recently purchased some brazilian rosewood from an old woodworker near me. I have a ukulele set available if you'd like to message me.

Thanks for the offer, but I have more than enough wood at the moment... I'm sure you realize that the sale of Brazilian rosewood as raw wood or as finished instruments is currently highly restricted.

The following is from CITIES regs:

Commercial Trade

Within the United States

Brazilian rosewood plants, parts, products, or derivatives may be used in commercial trade only if presented with documentation from CITES certifying that it was acquired prior to June 11, 1992.

Whether you agree or disagree with current Brazilian rosewood restrictions is really not the point. I tend to think it is on the over-restricted side when it comes to musical instruments, but you risk having your wood confiscated or the customer instrument confiscated without the proper documentation. I know CITES was considering making exceptions for musical instruments but have not heard how that worked out.

The, to how to bend wood , link looks good. The jigs are of an excellent quality . But someone that just would like to make one or two Ukuleles I would suggest the book A Guitar Makers Manuel by Jim Williams . It is making guitars not Ukuleles , but uses the same techniques , it shows how you can make simpler jigs using just every day tools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom