Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G Chord middle finger position

Default G Chord middle finger position

So pictures say thousand words. My middle finger is bent inwards when holding the G chord, is that normal or a bad habit? At the moment it’s easier for me but wondering if I won’t be able to make smoother and faster transitions going forward. Even G to F isn’t very smooth now.

397698B6-7E13-41A5-A985-A909F020DC48.jpg

Looks ok to me. Everyone is different. If it works for you, go with it. Don't worry, be happy.
    John

It's a bad habit, but we all have them and it's not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
    So pictures say thousand words. My middle finger is bent inwards when holding the G chord, is that normal or a bad habit? At the moment it’s easier for me but wondering if I won’t be able to make smoother and faster transitions going forward. Even G to F isn’t very smooth now.
    Not a problem ... indeed, can be a significant advantage when wanting/needing to make a "partial barre" using one finger to fret two adjacent strings whilst using the others to play melody

Enjoy
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

The nice thing about playing the ukulele is that if it works for you... go with it.
    that is the way I form G. I have seen others barre the 2nd fret - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
    strings - and use their middle finger on the 2nd string 3rd fret to form the 0232 (G).

I believe that chord changes become easier and more comfortable over time, and that
    by paying attention and experimenting, so-called 'bad habits' may be overcome.

Some chord forming can be difficult for everyone, and that calls for more practice,
    especially if the chord in question becomes one one wants to use more and more often.

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

There are a lot of chords that I play the same chord with my fingers positioned in various ways, depending where I'm going next with it. Being paralyzed over time by muscle memory I think is blown way out of proportion.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Try to have a alternative fingering using your (C)middle, (E)pinky, (A)ring fingers.

It's always good to have different fingerings for some chords to help your changes.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Mine won't even bend that way! I've noticed that a lot of really great uke players have finger joints that bend inwards.
    "So many ukes, so little money..."

Kanile'a KSR-T premium koa tenor
    Rebel Double Cheese spruce/mahogany tenor, my BFF.
    Kala KA-ASFM-T-C flame maple tenor
    Pono MT-SP tenor
    Cocobolo concert #467
    Pono ASD acacia soprano deluxe
    Pono MGS mango soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Cadia View Post
    Mine won't even bend that way! I've noticed that a lot of really great uke players have finger joints that bend inwards.
    Not one of those great players but it’s good to know I share something with them ��

Playing with three fingers at the moment. Had a look at / tried some chords where I’ll need to use the pinky and I almost burst into tears. It was like, this will be the end of my uke journey. Either that or where you need to hold three strings down on one fret.

Beginner here. My G chord looks like that too but is getting more relaxed the more I practice.

I’ve seen videos where the player is holding down three strings on one fret with their index finger and placing their middle finger on top of the index finger to strengthen.

My hands are small so I just can’t reach some chords with my pinkie so I try to find an alternative way to play the chord

Thread Information