Low tension strings for tenor 8 string recommendations

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I’ve been using a ‘Frankenstein’ set of strings for my 4 string tenors and concert Ukes for a few years now. They’re a mix of Savarez trebles and Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound bases. I love this set so when I commissioned a new 8 string tenor I supplied an 8 string set version to the builder.
When I received the Uke last week I was very pleased with everything about it except for the string tension on the treble pairs (Savarez 541 & 542’s). They seem so much harder than the same strings on my 4 stringers? It’s not an issue of action as that is spot on. Maybe it’s just me not having played an 8 string for a few years now.
I would however like to seek recommendations from the many string experts that I know are in this group.
Should I look for wider or thinner strings or strings of a different material?

Tension on multi string instruments is generally much higher. For example when you compare "light" gauge guitar string sets then the 12 string set will be much thinner than the 6 string set, and may still feel more like a "medium" set. The DAddario tension tool is quite useful but unfortunately also somewhat limited for non standard strings and uke sizes. If you don't use a specific 8 string set then I would not just pick regular high and low G strings but maybe use gauges that are actually used for multi string sets.

Do you use 541/2 J or R?

Regardless, maybe try the Cristal Trebles instead of the Alliance. I avoided them for years, not sure why. I always thought the 541 took a lot more to bring to pitch compared to the 542/3. No so with the Cristal. And they're available in both high and normal tension, 540CJ and 540CR. I personally like the J for Spruce tops (most of mine), and would install the R on hard tops, or multi strings, depending on the build.

At least you're in the same wheelhouse with Savarez.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This isn't the answer your looking for, yet maybe its time to detune your 8 string tenor 2 or 3 semitones. My 8 string tenor is perfectly happy being detuned 3 semitones at Ee, Aa, c#c#,f#f#.

Thank you all for these responses. I'm afraid that my plague brain has descended into almost total cognitive dissonance.
To answer Kekani's question, the treble pairs are 541R and 542R. The high string diameters on the bases were determined by looking at what string diameters that Worth uses in their 8 string set. This is obviously the reason why I am not having any problem with the base octave pairs.
Re anthonyg's suggestion, that a good idea! I used to tune my baritone to Bb so when I played with others that used C6 tuning I just capoed on the 2nd fret so I could follow their chord changes on unfamiliar songs more easily.

So it looks like string replacements for the treble pairs are in order.

The instrument in question has Black Limba(slightly brighter than mahogany) back and sides and a Lutz Spruce(a natural hybrid of Sitka and white spruce that provides a higher volume ceiling).

8 string FS front.jpg

8 string FS Back.jpg

So given the above wood set specs Kakani, what would you suggest I try and do you think it is a good idea to use the Worth 8 string set treble pair diameters as a guide?

Hollis, I wouldn't use Worth as a reference for anything. I think they're thin, and soft, and represents the instrument as such. Caveat -for MY instruments. KoAloha used them, but they're also built super light, without bracing on their Rack instruments.

Also, the nut slots will be way different for Worth, and Savarez.

If you're using the R, again, I would suggest trying the Cristal Trebles. Personally, I use 541-4 CJ or CR. however, like you, somewhat, I have a few TI's that I'm going to install on the 4th string.

Another suggestion, not string related. When anyone looks at my Tiples, there's a seemingly "intimidation" factor. I tell them to not look at it as 10 steel strings; play it like a 4-string tenor. Then they get it. Same for you, may have been a while based on your comments, but try playing it as a 4-string. Just a thought.

I just strung a set of Low tension Uke Logic on a friend's Koa uke. Super soft, but somewhat floppy, for me. If you wanted to soften the strings, there you go. But I don't think you'll like it. I have a set of high tensions that I haven't strung yet, but will. Joel's having me try them out.

Hollis, I wouldn't use Worth as a reference for anything. I think they're thin, and soft, and represents the instrument as such. Caveat -for MY instruments. KoAloha used them, but they're also built super light, without bracing on their Rack instruments.

Also, the nut slots will be way different for Worth, and Savarez.

If you're using the R, again, I would suggest trying the Cristal Trebles. Personally, I use 541-4 CJ or CR. however, like you, somewhat, I have a few TI's that I'm going to install on the 4th string.

Another suggestion, not string related. When anyone looks at my Tiples, there's a seemingly "intimidation" factor. I tell them to not look at it as 10 steel strings; play it like a 4-string tenor. Then they get it. Same for you, may have been a while based on your comments, but try playing it as a 4-string. Just a thought.

I just strung a set of Low tension Uke Logic on a friend's Koa uke. Super soft, but somewhat floppy, for me. If you wanted to soften the strings, there you go. But I don't think you'll like it. I have a set of high tensions that I haven't strung yet, but will. Joel's having me try them out.

Kekani, thanks again for sharing your knowledge. You're definitely right about the at first strangeness that a 8 string feels like under your fingers. As I used to be a 12 string guitar player I should have remembered that those guitars use a lighter string set than 6 stringers.

I have just ordered some new trebles to try out. Oh well, strings are cheap and I have always believed that finding the best strings for any particular instrument is a mandatory journey.

Hope that you and yours are all safe and doing well.

Top Bottom