New strap day - Leathergraft mandolin/ukulele strap.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I recently purhased my first ever ukulele strap and I'm very pleased with it. The strap is 1/2" wide and the shoulder pad measures 1-1/2" wide so it's perfect since I wanted a narrow strap. I've seen this listed as "real leather" and "genuine leather" but with a company name like "Leathergraft", it's most likely a bonded leather. The fact that the Amazon listing states that it is designed to last 10 years and not go out of style would tend to support that. Given its price, (it sells for about $17/$18- I got it cheaper) I wasn't expecting a top-quality full grain leather so I'm not disappointed in the least.

It came a bit stiff at first but I rolled it into a coil both directions several times and twisted it both directions and gently pulled on it several times and it softened right up. My ukes have/will have only one strap button so I wanted something that would attach to the headstock. This strap forms a loop that goes around the headstock and is fastened securely with a screw-post. I've only tested it on two of my ukes but it fit both just behind the nut as well as between the upper and lower pair of tuners. Another important feature I really like is that it is adjustable. It's got a classic and classy look and I'm very happy with the quality. I liked it so much that I bought a second one in black!

https://www.amazon.com/LeatherGraft-Genuine-Leather-Mandolin-Instrument/dp/B01I766MZ0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=leathergraft+mandolin+strap&qid=1594149253&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-2

new strap.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Good looks. I hope you get a full ten years out of it with tons of fun playing.

Great. Now you can enjoy the freedom. I was playing around with some melodies constructed from Harmonic Minor modes while I was stir frying some vegetables, rice, and sausage. Straps are great.

Nice. Good looks. I hope you get a full ten years out of it with tons of fun playing.

Thanks! I found it kind of weird that they would say that the strap was designed to last 10 years. Do people go into a purchase thinking that's a great thing expecting that a strap would fail in a couple of years? Not much is demanded from one having only to hold up a 1 lb. instument.

Great. Now you can enjoy the freedom. I was playing around with some melodies constructed from Harmonic Minor modes while I was stir frying some vegetables, rice, and sausage. Straps are great.

My last uke, acquired earlier this year, is the first one I've owned that came with a strap button. I owned that one for months before even trying out the strap button with a makeshift strap. I didn't know what I was missing! Freedom is right. It makes chord changes so much easier and it's also kind of nice to have your hands free when needed.

Top Bottom