Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belated NUD - Barron River 8 String Tenor - Black Limba & Lutz Spruce

Default Belated NUD - Barron River 8 String Tenor - Black Limba & Lutz Spruce

The NUD was really last week but I'm suffering from Plague induced time dilation perceptual dissonance and rarely know what day it is lately.

Anyway last week I received another wonderfull instrument from Allen McFarlen (Barron River Guitars and Ukuleles). This acquisition rounds off the restructure of my Uke collection to reflect my desire to own a range of instrument with unique sonic signatures and not to have multiples of similar instruments (no matter how nice that would be).

Once again Allen has delivered everything I was expecting and more. I have found that is always the case with a Barron River instrument. Allen's 8 strings are the best that I have personally ever experienced. Bright, powerful bell like tones intertwine into complex but pleasing overtones. Projection is stupendous, intonation is spot on way up to the 15th fret.

The specs are:
    Body: Black Limba (slightly brighter than mahogany).
    Soundboard: Lutz Spruce (a natural hybrid of Sitka and white spruce that provides a higher volume ceiling).
    Neck: Sapele
    Fretboard: Indian Rosewood
    Rosette: Australian Blackwood and Pau Shell
    Peg Head Veneers: Indian Rosewood & Pau Shell inlay.
    Bridge: Indian Rosewood
    Bindings: Indian Rosewood
    Tuners: Rubner Mandolin open geared.
    Pick up: K&K Aloha Twin

8 string FS with end pin.jpg

8 string FS Back.jpg

8 string Rosette and Side Soundhole.jpg

8 string headstock front.jpg
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 07-07-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar
    Anuenue - Flame Maple Soprano
    Barron River 8 string Tenor - Black Limba and Lutz Spruce
    Beansprout Banjolele - Walnut and Pistachio

That's fantastic. Would love to hear a sound clip.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    That's fantastic. Would love to hear a sound clip.
    If I can get off my lazy arse I'll do one soon and post it on this thread.

Very nice lookinG ukulele. I bet the sound is awesome. Great choice of woods. Alan’s workmanship is great. Congrats.

Looks beautiful, congrats! Lots of interesting woods and I'm sure it sounds even better than it looks...

A beautiful looking 8-string, Hollis. The Sound port is a nice touch as are the position markers and the Rubner tuners. What did you have it strung with?

Truly elegant. Looking forward to a sound sample.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    A beautiful looking 8-string, Hollis. The Sound port is a nice touch as are the position markers and the Rubner tuners. What did you have it strung with?

Truly elegant. Looking forward to a sound sample.
    Thanks Ken. Re strings, as I have still been loving the Thomastik-Infeld/Savarez Frankenstein set that I have been using for a few years now, I went for them. For the octave pairs I referenced the Worth clear 8 string set for the high string diameters. They turned out fine. I made an error in just doubling up my normal trebles though. The result was that the treble pairs are just too high tension for my liking. Playable but not comfortable. As I used to be a 12 string guitar player I should have remembered that those guitars use a lighter string set than 6 stringers.

I have just ordered some new trebles to try out. Oh well, strings are cheap and I have always believed that finding the best strings for any particular instrument is a mandatory journey.

Hope that you and yours are all safe and doing well.
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 07-09-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Hollis that is one outstanding instrument. Allen never disappoints with the quality of his work and this one just radiates class and craftsmanship. Congratulations on a wonderful 8 string ukulele that is bound to give you years of enjoyment
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Hollis that is one outstanding instrument. Allen never disappoints with the quality of his work and this one just radiates class and craftsmanship. Congratulations on a wonderful 8 string ukulele that is bound to give you years of enjoyment
    Thanks Dave. I am very happy to have an 8 string again. I ultimately regretted rehoming the original one that Allen had built for me. The very good friend that I sold that one to tells me that he plays it almost every day. Which is what I have been doing with this new one.
    I’m completely satisfied with the wood set that Allen recommended. I had never heard of those two wood species before but I had a high level of trust in Allen‘a ability to craft a fabulous instrument. He surely justified that trust.

Thread Information