Resonator which one??

mjh42

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers
I know these threads pop up now and then---which one to buy???

So I'm looking at some resonator ukuleles---concert or tenor---wood body for sure. I do like the metal resonators but having heard Del Ray play her's in concert and having played/handled wooden ones--a wood body resonator is the way to go for me.

While I could buy a National, Beltona, or Mya Moe I'm just not sure I want to put down that kind of money......I'd likely go used if I went this route and well...used these choices don't pop up that often.....although Elderly has a used National at the moment--unless it has sold since Sunday past.

Kala and Gretch are out.

I've kind of narrowed it down to Gold Tone or SoundSmith. I've read and listen to reviews of both. I'd order directly from SoundSmith and there are reputable shops that have the Gold Tone--so set up will be well done.

I have other quality ukulele's and would like to try a resonator--see if it fits in with the music I like to play--if it does not work for me I'm likely to sell it.

Not likely to get out to any shops to try one out in person as well.

Just looking for any pro's con's insights before I make a final decision.

Well I'm going to go with the Gold Tone. Flip a coin...one half dozen to the other.......if I was person who made living from my music I would have gone with the National or a Mya Moe. I'll have some fun and make some music.....the aesthetics of the Gold Tone called to me a little more than the SS.......the Gold Tone I was able to order-should be here in a week or so after set up and all.....SS are pre order at the moment......the GT will come from a reputable dealer......it's hard to gauge sound via internet samples......but my ear gave the edge to GT for what it's worth......well see how it plays out in real life???

Well the Gold Tone resonator has gone up for sale locally.......I may post here if a local sale is not possible......after 3 month I know it is not for me. .....I could try a string change????? I have three other ukes and they were all smiles from the first time playing and handling.....the Gold Tone does not speak to me.......so onward..........I'm thinking on another reso uke or two........do I want to spend the money to find out if they are for me????? I know if they are not I will let them go as well.......but am I in the mood for going through the process of spending.....trying.....deciding.....only one way to find out........time......

I bought a Beltona resonator here in UU. It was strung lo G, which I didn't like, so I restrung it with the builder's recommended strings, hated those, so I restrung again, now I'm loving this little guy. It's too loud for indoors....perfect outdoors!
You could do worse.

Well I'm going to go with the Gold Tone. Flip a coin...one half dozen to the other.......if I was person who made living from my music I would have gone with the National or a Mya Moe. I'll have some fun and make some music.....the aesthetics of the Gold Tone called to me a little more than the SS.......the Gold Tone I was able to order-should be here in a week or so after set up and all.....SS are pre order at the moment......the GT will come from a reputable dealer......it's hard to gauge sound via internet samples......but my ear gave the edge to GT for what it's worth......well see how it plays out in real life???

The Gold Tone is a good choice - reasonable price, nice appearance, and nice sound. It's not a lightweight, but I've never gotten around to putting a strap button on the bout. I bought mine as a blemished model, but I've never been able to find a blemish.

Can't say I've been happy with the Gold Tone....I've talked about it on other threads.....I have it for sale locally, I may post it here. I may try a string change but don't really know what direction to go there.

Any string recommendations????

As said elsewhere sometimes I like the sound sometimes I do not......seems kinda of dull and thudding at times.......my three other ukes I have were love as first strum.......maybe I'm spoiled.....

When I listen to music, sound samples, live and what not I do like the resonator sound.....but I'm looking for something that is clear and clean......if that makes sense????

Coral+Reef+Resonator+01+Revised+Outline+Web.jpg

These photos are from the Pohaku website. I'm calling it the Coral Reefer--if you knew my educational--life's work back ground this is a fine match.

The instrument can be played loud, if that's what you want. It is also clear, resonates, has some chime to it. I think it's going to be a keeper.

Photos are a bit small but it is a beautifully made instrument that sounds very good.

Attachments

• Coral+Reef+Resonator+07.jpg
    Coral+Reef+Resonator+07.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Coral+Reef+Resonator+04.jpg
    Coral+Reef+Resonator+04.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom