Ultimate Fluorocarbon Comparison Chart

Stupid question time. Assuming the tension is just a function here of the diameter, then could you make your own "soft" tenor set by just using more narrow soprano or concert strings? For example the Uke Logic Soft set is pretty close to the Martin Soprano/Concert strings.

I suppose you could, but I'd make sure the lengths provided would be cut long enough for tenor. Most packaged sets, including Martin, aren't.

After looking at this again, is it fair to say that for tenor strings at least, the Fremont Clears, Living Waters, and Worth Clears are probably all exactly the same?

Not an expert so I don't know if they actually produce the strings themselves or get them from a factory overseas.

I originally excluded them since the color would be a more obviously different composition, but I think they're close enough to go ahead and include since they're so popular. Thank you for the info- I'll add them :)

Maybe include the Anuenue Black Waters?

SOPRANO/CONCERT
G .022
C .031
E .027
A .019

TENOR:
G .025
C .031
E .027
A .023

Last edited:
After looking at this again, is it fair to say that for tenor strings at least, the Fremont Clears, Living Waters, and Worth Clears are probably all exactly the same?

Not an expert so I don't know if they actually produce the strings themselves or get them from a factory overseas.

There are very few string manufacturers. D'Addario and Aquila, maybe GHS. Some don't have a consumer marketing end but are only wholesale to various brands. I am not sure if any fluorocarbon is made specifically for string or is all repurposed from other industrial uses. Would be nice to know who the actual manufacturers are.

There are very few string manufacturers. D'Addario and Aquila, maybe GHS. Some don't have a consumer marketing end but are only wholesale to various brands. I am not sure if any fluorocarbon is made specifically for string or is all repurposed from other industrial uses. Would be nice to know who the actual manufacturers are.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I'd assume it's probably the same manufacturer which is nice to know because some are more expensive than others depending on where in the world you live.

I just bought two sets of Anuenue Black Water tenor strings and it looks like they're probably exactly the same as fremont blacks.

I've no doubt that the same strings or at least strings from the same manufacturer (because at least gauges for different brands of strings are often different) are sold as different brands of strings. For example, Fremont and Worth strings are both manufactured in Japan if I recall correctly so it's quite possible they are manufactured in the same factory. But according to Ken Middleton - the fellow behind Living Water strings - his strings are made in England. I doubt he manufactures them himself (there's no mention on his website that he does) but rather he orders them from some English factory. Just wanted to point out that at least the strings you mentioned aren't the exact same. Unless you have a reason to doubt his honesty of course, which I don't.

I've no doubt that the same strings or at least strings from the same manufacturer (because at least gauges for different brands of strings are often different) are sold as different brands of strings. For example, Fremont and Worth strings are both manufactured in Japan if I recall correctly so it's quite possible they are manufactured in the same factory. But according to Ken Middleton - the fellow behind Living Water strings - his strings are made in England. I doubt he manufactures them himself (there's no mention on his website that he does) but rather he orders them from some English factory. Just wanted to point out that at least the strings you mentioned aren't the exact same. Unless you have a reason to doubt his honesty of course, which I don't.

Hmm after checking his website out, it looks like they're actually made in heaven :cool:

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize they were made in England. Definitely have no reason to doubt him. I probably shouldn't paint in such broad strokes. I was just trying to think out loud as to what may be similar or even the same, especially since there can be bigger gaps in price depending on where you are/where you are ordering from.

I didn't mean to imply any malice either. Just wanted to clarify since you mentioned Living Waters because they're a very small business compared to some of the other string brands. As mentioned, I'd actually be surprised if some string brands aren't made in the exact same factories. And I don't really care that much either. It certainly bothers me less than knowing that whole ukuleles from certain different brands are probably made in the same factories.

Also Ken does disclose on his website that his strings aren't made in heaven despite what the packaging says, haha. :D

I've no doubt that the same strings or at least strings from the same manufacturer (because at least gauges for different brands of strings are often different) are sold as different brands of strings. For example, Fremont and Worth strings are both manufactured in Japan if I recall correctly so it's quite possible they are manufactured in the same factory.

I have a background in chemical manufacturing and formulation, and just wanted to point out that even if two products are made in the same factory, and mostly look the same, the formulations still might be quite different - which means the products will be too. Chemical products are rarely (if ever) just one pure chemical, but rather mixtures (or formulations) of many different components, each one of which is added for a purpose. Of course cost is usually an overriding factor that governs everything in formulation, with cheaper alternatives being used when necessary to keep cost down.

I have a background in chemical manufacturing and formulation, and just wanted to point out that even if two products are made in the same factory, and mostly look the same, the formulations still might be quite different - which means the products will be too. Chemical products are rarely (if ever) just one pure chemical, but rather mixtures (or formulations) of many different components, each one of which is added for a purpose. Of course cost is usually an overriding factor that governs everything in formulation, with cheaper alternatives being used when necessary to keep cost down.

No objections here. I mentioned that different brands have at least different gauges for their strings but I wouldn't be surprised if other factors differed as well, such as the density of the string material.

Really interesting I did not know this. I'm curious if it would be worth it for someone to even do this? That is, If strings are already being repurposed from fishing uses, is it worth while playing with the chemistry and having the factory make a new batch instead of buying off a much bigger one.

I didn't realize how often this happens until I got into fly fishing, and came to realize that most of the more affordable rod blanks basically all come from one factory. Some companies change the colors or diameters to make it their "own" but some are straight up copies at least in terms of stats.

Good info...thanks for putting in the time to organize all this info.

I watched one of his videos a couple of weeks back ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuIj-lRW-Y ). IIRC he advised that his strings were made in England, made in that string sets were assembled and packaged in England by him and members of his family. Where he gets his raw materials from wasn't mentioned but I feel no reason to believe that it

Last edited:
I watched one of his videos a couple of weeks back ( https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CHuIj-lRW-Y ). IIRC he advised that his strings were made in England, made in that string sets were assembled and packaged in England by him and members of his family. Where he gets his raw materials from wasn't mentioned but I feel no reason to believe that it’s manufactured in the England. Of course it is Ken’s expert experience that allows him to put together his strings sets and to my mind that element certainly is ‘made’ in England.

That, and the fact that the strings were certainly made to HIS specifications. Factories today turn out products for lots of different customers, at different price points, and different levels of quality. It might indeed be identical to fishing line (I've never checked) but even if it is made by a supplier of fishing line that doesn't mean it is the same. Tesco and Walmart get their house brand products made by the big name suppliers, but to a lower price point. Back when I was making superabsorbent polymer for diapers I learned that Walmart brand diapers were at times made by Kimberly Clark or Proctor and Gamble, but that didn't mean the Walmart ones were as good. (In fact they weren't as good, but they were pretty close for the price.)

Last edited:
Another interesting data point for each string type (another column) would be the string tension when tuned. This would probably require a modified ukulele rig to perform the measurement.

Take for example the Martin Polygut strings are made in Italy by Aquila. (Packaged in Mexico.) From what I've read, Martin worked with Aquila to adjust the formulation of the Nylon to get the sound they wanted from the strings.

I assume the same was done with a fishing line company for their fluorocarbon strings.

The formula will be exclusive to Martin. Usually for a set number of years.

Many string manufactures provide this information for various scales.

Unfortunately many (if not most) don't, e.g. I seem unable to find any tension values for Fremont, Worth, Martin, Living Water, GHS, ....

Top Bottom