Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This an Acceptable B-stock Blemish?

Default Is This an Acceptable B-stock Blemish?

Just wondering what counts as an acceptable B-stock blemish. For an otherwise new instrument, does B-stock mean superficial only, or does it also includes dings, dents, and the like?

Would the chip in the binding pictured below be acceptable as B-stock?

chip 1.jpgchip 2.jpgchip 3.jpg

B-stock can mean just about anything but shouldn't be anything that would affect playability or sound. Whether it is "acceptable" is really up to the buyer.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

That's what my Moku looks like after I had dropped it, but where the back and side meet on the lower bout.

This is beyond a blemish. It is actual damage. Keep in mind, that may not affect the sound, playability, or long term life of the instrument, but it takes a pretty healthy whack to do that.

A blemish is a mark or fingerprint under the finish.
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

IMO B stock is usually more imperfections from manufacturing. Like maybe some pooling or bubbling of the top coat, or a ding in the wood that got covered by finish or an inlay or something thats off centered.

This just looks like it got absolutely nailed by something.

Can you feel the ding? How much are they discounting it? For the right price it might be acceptable for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    B-stock can mean just about anything but shouldn't be anything that would affect playability or sound. Whether it is "acceptable" is really up to the buyer.
    Is it acceptable to you?
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

My understanding is that "B-stock" originally meant "Back Stock". Which includes items returned and can't be sold as A-stock. It can include: Blemishes, Dings and Dents. Which covers a lot of ground.

"Factory Seconds" usually means: the result of minor cosmetic flaws that don't affect their function or durability.

But really, the manufacturers have their own quality standards that determines what qualifies as either. Some use both B-stack with slight cosmetic blemishes. Factory Second having bigger, more obvious flaws but stills functions correctly.

I never buy a blem or second without an exact description of the imperfections with photos if possible. I have purchased a couple of ukes where the described flaws were much worse than described. One with hidden internal damage and the other with a top that had come away from the side. One I returned for a full refund, the other I paid $50 instead of $500 and had it repaired.

FROM REVERB:
    What Does B-Stock Mean?

Many items on Reverb are listed in "B-Stock" condition. These items may have been opened and then returned to the seller, may be a brand new item with a cosmetic flaw, or may have been used as a demo unit in a store. B-Stock items are guaranteed to function as they should, and may even come with a manufacturer's warranty.

It's always a good idea to reach out to the seller of these items directly to determine why they've been listed as B-Stock and what warranty options are available. You can message the seller of the item by clicking the "Message Seller" button on the item listing.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 07-08-2020 at 06:49 PM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I don't know why you're asking, but there would have to be a substantial reduction in price for me to buy that. You also have to consider the resale value.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I don't know why you're asking, but there would have to be a substantial reduction in price for me to buy that. You also have to consider the resale value.
    I agree. I'd probably still buy it if it was one I really wanted but I'd want a big reduction.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha KTM-S00 - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I agree. I'd probably still buy it if it was one I really wanted but I'd want a big reduction.
    I never buy with the intention of selling, but I have sold quite a few, so that has to be a consideration.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information