Is there a danger in having button straps put on my uke?

dcw uke

Reaction score
I'm new to the uke and recently acquired a Kala KA-SMHCE-E. I love it and having great fun learning the instrument. Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have button straps. I know that there are other types of straps that can be used, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering if there's a danger in taking it to my local music store to have buttons installed? Would it somehow compromise the instrument?:rolleyes:

The only risk of having buttons fitted is that you'll be able to fit a strap and then play much more easily ;)
However, I'd suggest only having one button installed initially, at the end of the instrument, fastening the other end of the strap to the top of the neck. On a relatively small instrument like a ukulele, having the strap fastened at the base of the neck (heel) can make things a little cramped if playing "up the neck". There's always the opportunity to go back for a second button if you eventually decide it's what you would prefer ;)

Inevitably - YMMV - :music:

There is no downside to having strap buttons fitted to your uke. It doesn't change the value of it. Or affect the beauty of your instrument. They might even enhance it.

If you have a Hard case, it might be tight to fit your uke into it with buttons installed. Put the butt in first then lower the neck into place will usually solve it.

It makes playing a lot easier.

I'm about to dive into the world of strap buttons myself. For me, the concern wasn't compromising the instrument, it's because I will be doing the job myself! I plan on doing it on 4 ukes. I'll pay a music store to do a proper setup but I couldn't bring myself to pay someone to drill a hole and screw in a screw which is about as basic as it gets. Still, it will be a bit nerve-wracking drilling into a cherished instrument!

A guitar/uke setup man told me that he always checks inside the uke to make sure there is a decent block before he drills. I was surprised to hear that sometimes the wood there is very thin and he warns the customer before he will drill. I've just started adding lower bout buttons to a few of mine that I use regularly. So far, no problems of any kind.

Although there a lots of different opinions on one or two buttons, I would agree with the using one button and the headstock. For me, it seems to solve the problem of the uke pivoting when changing left hand position.

Doesn't the Kala KA-SMHCE already have a lower bout button for the electronics that you could use?

Last edited:
I'm new to the uke and recently acquired a Kala KA-SMHCE-E. I love it and having great fun learning the instrument. Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have button straps. I know that there are other types of straps that can be used, but I'm not a fan. I'm wondering if there's a danger in taking it to my local music store to have buttons installed? Would it somehow compromise the instrument?:rolleyes:

If you want to add something to hook a strap without drilling try adding a Command hook (the kind you stick onto a wall to hang pictures) to the bottom. Just be sure to have the hook aimed the correct way. Comes off easy with no damage.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Command-Hook-Ukulele-Strap-Button/

I have installed two buttons on every uke I own, guitar style, heel of neck and bottom. Even sopranos get two buttons, just like a full size guitar. It puts the instrument in the very best most stable playing position. If you are having it done at a guitar shop you have nothing to worry about

The own danger, as another member said is you might play more and get better faster.

I install two strap buttons all the time, no problem what-so-ever, and it makes playing so much more comfortable. I tried having one button, but the other end on the head was very uncomfortable for me, the strap kept slipping off my left shoulder. I'm a two button person.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 39)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
If you can hang a picture on a wall, you should be able to drill and screw in a strap pin.

A few cautions/recommendations:
- Make sure your uke has an internal end block. Most do, but it doesn't hurt to check.
- Measure exactly where you want the pin mounted, then do it two more times just to make sure.
- Put a piece of painter's masking tape over the target area to protect the surface in case a tool slips.
- Use an awl or a sharp nail to make a small indent exactly where you want to drill. This will ensure that the drill bit doesn't slide around and make a mess.
- Use a drill bit just a little smaller than the screw that holds the pin.
- Drill slowly and carefully, making sure the ukulele is firmly supported and held in place. (I use a variable speed electric drill but it would work fine with a hand cranked one.)
- Drill the hole the full length of the screw.
- Remove the tape and clean up any debris or sawdust (drilldust?)
- Rub the screw against a bar of soap or a parafin candle to provide some lubrication.
- Make sure you use a felt washer (usually supplied with strap pins) to prevent marring the finish.
- Screw in slowly, by hand, until the pin is tight and can no longer be easily rotated.
- Attach your strap to the pin and you're good to go!

^^^
^^^
Very good advice noted above. I just finished installing strap buttons on four of my ukes. The only thing I would add is to use a drill bit that is the same size as the shaft of the screw but not overlapping the threads. You also only need to drill a hole that is the depth of the exposed screw, not the entire length of the screw since a good length of the screw is inside the button itself.

Anything that might happen? Yes, I won’t drop a uke. All my ukes, low end and high end have 2 buttons. I have to concentrate too much on playing and singing to worry about dropping. We’ve done our own without a problem. Most difficult part is choosing button color.

^^^
^^^
Very good advice noted above. I just finished installing strap buttons on four of my ukes. The only thing I would add is to use a drill bit that is the same size as the shaft of the screw but not overlapping the threads. You also only need to drill a hole that is the depth of the exposed screw, not the entire length of the screw since a good length of the screw is inside the button itself.
Yeah, what he said! I was thinking just the length of the threads, not just the total screw length. Thanks for the clarification.

The only risk of having buttons fitted is that you'll be able to fit a strap and then play much more easily ;)

THIS! It was driving me crazy that I wasn't able to make changes quickly, things like G to F to C that were super-simple, but required me to change the orientation of my hand....and then I thought, "Hey, I wonder if a strap would help?" The answer: YES!!! My playing really did pick up steam when I added a strap. (He says in Week 3. :D )

My ukulele is a middle-ish to low-ish priced Snail concert that sounds great but is hardly an heirloom work of art, and I was STILL paranoid about drilling into it. I tried a soundhole strap first, and that just didn't do what I'd hoped. I was still needing to use too much of my chord hand's effort to support the uke.

I went the one-button route for now, and after checking to be sure there was in fact a decent block, just went for it. Even with measuring and marking, it only took a couple of minutes start to finish, and it's been even better than I'd hoped. Maybe just because of what a difference it's made in my own progress, but I'm amazed that more people don't bang the drum about this. Buttons and straps! Go for it!

Since mine's a concert, I'm definitely happy with one button. I might feel differently on a tenor, or who knows, maybe I'll try on somebody else's and go for two. Until then, I can definitely add my encouragement to everyone else's: don't sweat it, but do do it! :eek:

Ask anybody, anything that you can find wrong with your uke can be fixed by the three Ss, Setup, Straps, and Strings. Put strap buttons on and you've taken care of one of them. :)

If you can hang a picture on a wall, you should be able to drill and screw in a strap pin.

A few cautions/recommendations:
- Make sure your uke has an internal end block. Most do, but it doesn't hurt to check.
- Measure exactly where you want the pin mounted, then do it two more times just to make sure.
- Put a piece of painter's masking tape over the target area to protect the surface in case a tool slips.
- Use an awl or a sharp nail to make a small indent exactly where you want to drill. This will ensure that the drill bit doesn't slide around and make a mess.
- Use a drill bit just a little smaller than the screw that holds the pin.
- Drill slowly and carefully, making sure the ukulele is firmly supported and held in place. (I use a variable speed electric drill but it would work fine with a hand cranked one.)
- Drill the hole the full length of the screw.
- Remove the tape and clean up any debris or sawdust (drilldust?)
- Rub the screw against a bar of soap or a parafin candle to provide some lubrication.
- Make sure you use a felt washer (usually supplied with strap pins) to prevent marring the finish.
- Screw in slowly, by hand, until the pin is tight and can no longer be easily rotated.
- Attach your strap to the pin and you're good to go!

If you do insist on fitting a strap button to your uke, this is great advice. The only thing I'd add to it is this:
- Line your strap button screw up against your drill bit, so the point of the drill bit is touching the screw head.
- Take some masking tape and wrap it round the bit at the point reached by the tip of the screw.
- Then when you come to drill into your uke, you'll know exactly how deep to drill.

But before you do all that, I encourage you to watch this video (in fact, watch the whole series! :) ) and then have a think about whether you need to go ahead drilling into your uke.

The issue of strap buttons on ukes can get very controversial very quickly, but I'm neutral on the issue. If you can get on without fitting a strap, fine, If you can't, fit one. Half my ukes have strap buttons, half do not.

I played in a very successful ukulele band for many years, touring up and down the country, and abroad (my signature contains the link to our album). The ukes I used on stage all have strap buttons, because I'd be playing standing up, plugged into an amp, and the strap would 1) prevent the weight of the guitar lead from pulling the uke out of my arms; 2) be used to secure the guitar lead to stop it from being accidentally pulled out from the uke.

Of those ukes, the solid-bodied and semi-acoustics have two strap buttons; otherwise, just one strap button on the lower bout and a tie round the headstock at the other end. Very handy for slinging the uke round behind your back, Bruce Springsteen style! :cool:

I don't have strap buttons on any of my sopranos, or any of my acoustic concerts. I follow Phil's tips for how I hold them. :)

I want to second Snargle's post. I follow it exactly except instead of paraffin I use mustache wax (being the well-coifed gentlemen that I am). It really is no big deal. I am no wood worker but even I can drill a hole at the seam at the uke's bottom.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I ended up going with strap buttons, had the rep / tech at a local music store do it (same one that set up my uke for me). I'm super happy with it, now I'm waiting for my strap to come in the mail. Thanks again! :)
20200718_143650.jpg20200718_143623.jpg

Yes.. big danger...you'll never want to play without a strap again, and get a bad case of SAS (Strap Acquisition Syndrome)

It was bad enough that I had UAS. Now I have SAS! :biglaugh:

Top Bottom