NUUD: Island Koa Ukuleles Vita Uke soprano by Pete Howlett

Ludwig.

Reaction score
NUUD: Island Koa Ukuleles Vita Uke soprano by Pete Howlett (sound demo added)

I usually don't do NU(U)Ds but since there are so very few pictures online of these, I thought some of you might be interested.

I‘ve been drooling over this for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger last week. This little thing found its way to Germany from all the way back in Japan at Dolphin Guitars in Osaka.

Well, what can I say? Although it says Island Koa Ukulele inside, it‘s obviously a Howlett! I was a little scared that there might be something wrong with it since it seems to have spent quite some time at the store (I did some stalking on Google picture search). Maybe it was the strings. After taking them off – black nylons that might be as old as the instrument itself – it’s truly singing now.

And it is so interesting that although this instrument is 20 years old, you can truly tell that it‘s a Howlett. It sounds like a way younger sister of my Ditson style concert made in 2016 and just a bit more chimney than its shy cousin koa soprano born in 2009.

I‘ve had newly acquired ukuleles that felt like strangers for months. This one felt like home the minute I opened the case.

Edit: Here's a quick sound demo: http://ukulelezeit.de/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/vita_uke.mp3

DSC_0631.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

Last edited:
Here it is next to its Howlett brothers and sisters:
DSC_0554.jpg

Very nice indeed!

Oh my word, that is fantastic. The flaming on the back, it's just insane. Very fancy. I'm not a fan of the Vita uke myself, but if I could get my hands on one of those it would be very hard for me to resist buying.

I'm not a fan of the Vita uke myself, but if I could get my hands on one of those it would be very hard for me to resist buying.

I'm not a fan either but that's probably because one rarely sees the real deal out there. Most cheaper copies look quite different and oddly out of shape. You need quite some phantasy to see seals in the sound holes of the ones made by Ohana and Clearwater. :D

Last edited:
I'm not a fan either but that's probably because one rarely sees the real deal out there. Most cheaper copies look quite different and oddly out of shape. You need quite some phantasy to see seals in the sound holes of the ones made by Ohana and Clearwater. ;D

I like the Vita for two reasons - the unusual style, and the fact that it goes back to the early twentieth century and Roy Smeck. I have one made by Ohana.

Very cool, is it a soprano? Too bad the beautiful curly koa on the back isn't the front...:shaka:

I'm not a fan either but that's probably because one rarely sees the real deal out there. Most cheaper copies look quite different and oddly out of shape. You need quite some phantasy to see seals in the sound holes of the ones made by Ohana and Clearwater. :D

Hang on, are those supposed to be in the shape of a seal? I actually didn't know that. The things you learn... :D

I actually like the look of the Ohana Vita Uke for what it is. Now that I'm looking at the soundholes, they haven't put enough attention to detail on the shapes of them, as you said. Same issue as with the Martin Style 3 copy they make. Again, I'm not interested in buying the Ohana, but if I was to find a high-end or vintage Vita uke available I'd be all over that.

Congratulations. That has some beautiful wood!

If it is a Howlett, why does it say "Island Koa"? Did he build for another brand for a while?

Yes, the label says "Island Koa Ukuleles - Made in Wales" and is signed by Pete. I think this was his brand back in the days when he was producing ukes for the US market. Here's a Japanese website with more info: http://www.cscreate.net/lucy/extra/extra4.htm (try google translate to get the English translation).

Very cool, is it a soprano? Too bad the beautiful curly koa on the back isn't the front...:shaka:

Yes, it's a standard size. That's why I could not resist since Pete does not make many sopranos these days.

Great find. Everything I've read about his work says it's meticulous and beautiful sounding. With perfect intonation and setup.

I think he sold an old one he still had a couple of years ago. But I could be wrong.

Congratulations. Any chance of a sound sample?

That does look nice! The shape reminds me of a mandolin.

I usually don't do NU(U)Ds but since there are so very few pictures online of these, I thought some of you might be interested.

I‘ve been drooling over this for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger last week. This little thing found its way to Germany from all the way back in Japan at Dolphin Guitars in Osaka.

Well, what can I say? Although it says Island Koa Ukulele inside, it‘s obviously a Howlett! I was a little scared that there might be something wrong with it since it seems to have spent quite some time at the store (I did some stalking on Google picture search). Maybe it was the strings. After taking them off – black nylons that might be as old as the instrument itself – it’s truly singing now.

And it is so interesting that although this instrument is 20 years old, you can truly tell that it‘s a Howlett. It sounds like a way younger sister of my Ditson style concert made in 2016 and just a bit more chimney than its shy cousin koa soprano born in 2009.

I‘ve had newly acquired ukuleles that felt like strangers for months. This one felt like home the minute I opened the case.

Thanks for posting this. I don't really get the appeal of the Vita design, but this one is beautiful.

What's a chimney?

There was a young lady from Rimini,
Whose tresses were flowing and shimmery,
But it has to be said,
When she got out of bed,
It looked like she fell down the chimney.

John Colter

That's astonishing.
I hope Mr. Howlett hops on here and tells you more about it.
You are correct "Island Koa" is his early work.
My koa soprano (see my line-up) from the similar vintage is a little canon. And gorgeous. 20+ years old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom