NUUD: Island Koa Ukuleles Vita Uke soprano by Pete Howlett

Ha! Not a native speaker here, sorry. I suppose I was looking for shimmery. :D "Sparkling" would work, too, I suppose.

I guess, I better do a sound sample soon. ;)

I think you were looking for "chimey" rather than chimney (as in a "chiming bell"), but I don't think it's a real word in that form.

Here are some pics on my Island Koa Howlett soprano. I keep meaning to add a more flattering photo of the front (it's prettier than it looks here) but haven't done it yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPnTHvA44o7EAsnz6

I think you were looking for "chimey" rather than chimney (as in a "chiming bell"), but I don't think it's a real word in that form.

Here are some pics on my Island Koa Howlett soprano. I keep meaning to add a more flattering photo of the front (it's prettier than it looks here) but haven't done it yet.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RPnTHvA44o7EAsnz6

It's a beauty! :) Gotta love these one-piece tops and backs Pete was using.

I got most of my custom ukes made this way as well. I never got why one needed to bookmatch for an instrument that small.

It's always interesting hearing the parts of my history come together from people who I have never met and in most cases have heard my story from others. I've only come across this exchange through a vanity search - I don't spend much time here any more so here is my requested contribution.

A lot of original Harmony Vita Ukes were made from a rare batch of curly mahogany, hence my attempt to imitate. The originals had no binding to the back and though often well made, the biggest issue as with a lot of 'Chicago built' ukuleles was the bridge placement and subsequent intonation problems at 2nd position chords. My build is not therefore a copy but more a homage and true, they are not to everyone's taste. That is the beauty of this game. I have never seen an original concert or tenor and do not know anyone who has so my designs are 'imaginings' of what might have been. I have built four tenors, about 10 sopranos and 12 concerts. I am building a small batch of 8 'pledged' sopranos this fall.

As far as my history of brand names goes I am the builder of the gold and silver label 'Island Koa' brand made between 1994 - 1998 for the Hawaiian market.. I hi-jacked that brand when I ceased making for Music Exchange in Hilo and used it between 1998 and 2004. I then made under the brand name UK Ukes for a while and in 2008 my instruments have been labelled Pete Howlett Ukulele with headstock logo added in 2018.

I have, as you might note, 'Been around the block a fee times' and whereas I don't claim to know everything, I've learnt a bit on this journey and I know what shapes I like:
The Harmony VitaUke or soprano and concert ukulele
The Ditson shape Concert ukulele
The gold label pre 20th century Kamaka Tenor ukulele
My Californian Style Tenor based on the OM guitar shape
My Revelator Nautilus elctro acoustic teor based on the work of Kirk Sands, Tyde Music and Bowerman
This last one is probably the last bit of design development (it's not new or original) that will be attributed to me before I hang up my apron for the last time. It's been a great journey and it's people like Andreas who began this thread and our mutual friend the late 'Claus Mori that make this game worth playing.

And next time folks, pm me and I will do my best to fill in the gaps - save you screen time and free you up to play more :)

Thanks for the heads-up, Pete! I'll all add it to my future article about the Vita so there'll be a German version of this, too. :)

So nice!
I'm so glad I stayed for the singing. :)

Hey, thanks! :eek: This is exactly what I'll be using the Vita for, I suppose. I don't mind playing simple chords instead of virtuoso fingering that might not only jangle my neighbors' nerves (but everyone else's :D ).

Top Bottom