Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mims Ukes

Default Mims Ukes

I just saw where Mim is selling out her Kala stock, due to the company's unfair selling practices, underselling its dealers.
    I expect she'll be offering up some really good deals soon!
    She plans to replace the brand with Flight Ukuleles, I beleive.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

This has been an ongoing problem. Years ago a guy I knew who sold band woodwind instruments stopping stocking those instruments. He told me that the big online dealers (in those days it was catalogues- pre internet!) got lower pricing due to their volume and his cost was higher than what they were selling them for!

I have visited many uke stores and Kala is definitely the brand that uses up most display space. It is odd that they would not fight to maintain their retail presence but it seems they figured they make bigger profit by selling direct rather than through dealers. I hope that more dealers will reduce exposure to Kala and instead offer larger variety of smaller and more unique brands.

where did you see that? IIRC, the point (or a similar one with kala) was brought up during a HMS/TUS/TUR podcast last year

Mim posted it on her Facebook page. I rejoined Facebook due to the amount of ukulele material that is only available there.

There's so much to say, but I won't...I just wonder if Kala has reached a point where it is too big, allowing itself to lose touch with vendors and buyers.

Which, of course, opens the doors for other companies.

I guess we'll see!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    Mim posted it on her Facebook page. I rejoined Facebook due to the amount of ukulele material that is only available there. Hey

There's so much to say, but I won't...I just wonder if Kala has reached a point where it is too big, allowing itself to lose touch with vendors and buyers.

Which, of course, opens the doors for other companies.

I guess we'll see!
    I have liked every flight uke I have tried..

Well, when Kala sells direct on their website, then adds stuff like the 20% off promotion in May, with free shipping, it's no wonder that their dealers might be unhappy with them.
    John

I saw a similar concern on Boston’s Craigslist. Didn’t understand at the time, but I get it now.
    My Ukuleles
    KoAloha Naupaka soprano
    KoAloha Noah sopranino
    DJ Morgan Mini Pineapple
    Luna Pearl concert
    Cocobolo concert #384 (Teak!)

I'm not really moved by this at all. I've never really understood the popularity of Kala anyway. In my opinion, they haven't kept up with the competition regarding their models and upgrading them. At that low to mid tier price point, there's so much competition nowadays. Brands like Flight and Snail have eclipsed Kala a couple of years ago already in my book.

Kala is one of the most recognized brands in ukuleles. If not THE most recognized. They advertise a lot. Support events. And donate to causes and charities.

They've earned their position by making decent quality ukuleles for affordable prices. Now, they seem to be capitalizing on their recognition by selling direct. Perhaps they've seen the writing on the wall and don't believe the small brick and mortar stores will survive the pandemic.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information