Mims Ukes

To be fair, unless your tech guy was at a big box shop like Guitar Center, taking your Kala to him for setup still supports a small business. I love that someone like Mim exists as an alternative to places like Guitar Center, and I've bought from Mim before and probably will again, but the way her quota's been filling up for weeks now, I don't think she's hurting for business the way some local shops might be.

Some of your money went to Kala, and some to your tech. If you had bought from Mim, some would have gone to Kala, and some to her. For me, in addition to thinking about whether I want to support Mim or a local shop, there's a question about whether I want my dollars to go to Kala at all. Personally, I don't think they're "the bad guys," but I've never really cared for their brand, and given what we're seeing about their behavior, I don't really see a reason to start supporting them.

The order cap has been astonishing with Covid, One week it was like 6 hours. But then it finally went back to normal the week before stay-cation. Yay! I would rather have orders trickle in. I was open until Wednesday! But then I took vacation and had the Kala discount so I filled up in a day again. DOH! But please do not think this is an all-the-time phenomenon. I ain't too big for my britches yet. Haha.

Basically I live in an area where cost of living is low, I bought my shop for a song, I barter, I love thrift shops, and all my cars are used old and crappy! Haha. So I am not rolling in it by any means, but I am blessed to be able to feed 7 kids and a ton o' rescue dogs and animals... haha. The cap is so I make sure I don't take on more than one person can handle. I was burning the candle at both ends and got sick and the doctor said it was from stress and when I told him all I was doing he said, "Stop that." Haha, best two-word doctor's advice ever. Haha. But basically I prioritized. But I did not know how to pump the breaks. People say to get an employee, but I would be a horrible boss... I am a pushover, but also would want to be the one setting everything up anyway, so there is only so much one Mim can do! So then I did order cap and that worked. Most of the time I don't even hit cap. Just... everyone has decided to take up ukulele in lockdown I guess. The nice thing is when I did the cap thing my kid said to me, "So you can finally enjoy Christmas." Yeah... it has been a good thing :)

Sorry, Mim. That lengthy reply makes me think I came across exactly opposite of what I was intending. I was actually saying I think it’s admirable that you are sticking up for the quality of the brands you stocked in the past even though the business side doesn’t make dollars and sense now. It shows that you care more about people and ukuleles than your bottom line. My defense of Kala instruments was intended to agree with what you had said earlier in the thread. Apologies if it sounded pointed at you instead.

Sorry, Mim. That lengthy reply makes me think I came across exactly opposite of what I was intending. I was actually saying I think it’s admirable that you are sticking up for the quality of the brands you stocked in the past even though the business side doesn’t make dollars and sense now. It shows that you care more about people and ukuleles than your bottom line. My defense of Kala instruments was intended to agree with what you had said earlier in the thread. Apologies if it sounded pointed at you instead.

OH NO! Hahaha... nooooooooooo... you actually made my point so I wanted to piggy back off of it! Because I am like... THAT is the point I need to make sure I make :) So I was like... adding my VERY long winded AMEN!

I said they need a setup, but I think every ukulele needs a setup. EVERY ukulele... EVERY. ONE. Every brand. Every... ukulele. So I would have said that about any brand. Haha. I am a picky gal.

I think that's one of the things that drives people to you--that regardless of brand and regardless of price point, every ukulele you sell gets setup to make the instrument as good as it can be.

I'm still deeply, deeply irked by the Wirecutter's review of beginner ukes (and I usually find the Wirecutter's review of things to be great). In the comment section, I mentioned the importance of a good setup, to which the writer disagreed, and said that no dealer does setup on cheap ukes. I pointed out that you do, to which he then changed his tune to say it isn't necessary. Bull. A year later, and I'm still mad. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-ukulele-for-beginners/

I think that's one of the things that drives people to you--that regardless of brand and regardless of price point, every ukulele you sell gets setup to make the instrument as good as it can be.

I'm still deeply, deeply irked by the Wirecutter's review of beginner ukes (and I usually find the Wirecutter's review of things to be great). In the comment section, I mentioned the importance of a good setup, to which the writer disagreed, and said that no dealer does setup on cheap ukes. I pointed out that you do, to which he then changed his tune to say it isn't necessary. Bull. A year later, and I'm still mad. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-ukulele-for-beginners/

Wirecutter is one thing, but I had the manager of a music store (big chain store) tell me there's nothing you can set up on a uke. :wallbash:

please keep an eye on my Makai and Flight inventory because I think it is going to match the Mim very much and y'all will be glad I have 'em... and follow me on Instagram because it DRIVES my kids CRAZY! They don't understand how their dorky mom managed to have so many followers!

Mim, I'm very excited to keep an eye on Flight. They're ukes look pretty awesome!

If anything, I would think cheap, mass-produced ukes and beginner players need it more.

I think Wirecutter is one of the better sources for recommendations for newbies, but I've noticed, once you kinda know your way around a hobby or type of product, those product review sites are not that good for information. Helpful for a newcomer who doesn't know anything, sure. But I think it's often just people who've done some research, rather than actual experts. I actually knew someone who wrote video game reviews for extra cash. Sometimes they just regurgitated other reviews without actually playing the game. I don't read video game reviews, but it was a little disillusioning.

Wirecutter is one thing, but I had the manager of a music store (big chain store) tell me there's nothing you can set up on a uke. :wallbash:

Maybe they were thinking of plastic ukes?

Actually the cynic in me thinks saying there's nothing to set up is a way to help sales, since places like Guitar Center don't do set ups unless you take it over to repairs and pay extra. And most people who don't think of ukes as real instruments would probably balk at spending extra money for a set up.

This thread makes me think of an experience that I recently had an a quote that I had long forgotten. “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” is something that was on a poster I read as a youth, it is still very true today.

Some months back I bought a Kala Concert for a good price off of eBay. After delivery it sat in its box for rather too long and when I got around to opening it up I eventually realised that what I had was (IMHO) either a very bad QA failure or a fake Kala. It being too late to return the instrument and me being too honest to sell it on I smashed it up and placed it in the trash bin. Yes, if I’d been more proactive or hard headed I wouldn’t have suffered the loss. However, if I’d lived in the States and bought from Mim instead then I’d have been saved that loss too. The Uke supplied would be the genuine article, wouldn’t be a second in any way (unless it was declared as such by her) and would be supplied set-up. It’s a fortunate buyer that finds a dealer like Mim (they are rare) and a wise one that then goes on to buy from her (the extra charge, if there is one, is money well invested).

Last edited:
This thread makes me think of an experience that I recently had an a quote that I had long forgotten. “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” is something that was on a poster I read as a youth, it is still very true today.

Sign in a tire store when I was a kid: "Only a rich man can afford cheap tires."

Maybe they were thinking of plastic ukes?

Actually the cynic in me thinks saying there's nothing to set up is a way to help sales, since places like Guitar Center don't do set ups unless you take it over to repairs and pay extra. And most people who don't think of ukes as real instruments would probably balk at spending extra money for a set up.

It was a few years ago and I was asking about a wooden uke I was holding (not sure they even sold plastic ukes at the time) but I think you’re exactly right about wanting to make a quick sale.

This has been an ongoing problem. Years ago a guy I knew who sold band woodwind instruments stopping stocking those instruments. He told me that the big online dealers (in those days it was catalogues- pre internet!) got lower pricing due to their volume and his cost was higher than what they were selling them for!

Wow. I understand giving big dealers a discount, but it's absurd to have that much a discrepancy in pricing.

Oh Ohana... how I love thee... let me count the ways...

-Great Value for price
-True to wood tone
-Customer care
-Good to dealers
-GREAT people!
I love Mim's Ukulele shop and I love my Ohana thin body tenor!
All the best w Makai and Flight!

I bought my first tenor on Amazon. A fender Nohea. Because I had gift cards. No setup, so very hard to play. I had one done by a music shop, but it wasn't good.
Second uke was an Ohana TK-50G I bought from a small music shop about 20 miles away. I had to ask about a setup and grudgingly he lowered the string height.
I found out about Mim on Baz' website. I saw a Pono mango on her site and bought it from her. She did the first competent setup I ever played. What a difference!
Most recently, I bought a Deering tenor banjolele from her. I asked her to mark the correct position of the bridge on the head. She apologized profusely that she couldn't do much about string height on it. But would make sure the frets were level and smooth. It was perfect. And the bridge position in pencil is really helpful.
I recommend her to people often. Both online and in-person. Wholeheartedly.
Maybe I have to look into a Rebel from her. ...

I wonder if there will be a big run on kalas today? but based on previous posts, some may be waiting until they are 100% off, and even then won't bite!

I have liked every flight uke I have tried..

I was very impressed with a Flight I tried in a shop. I was skeptical because at the time, I had never heard of them and there wasn't much info about them online.
If they're consistently made, they seem like great value.

I was very impressed with a Flight I tried in a shop. I was skeptical because at the time, I had never heard of them and there wasn't much info about them online.
If they're consistently made, they seem like great value.

I agree. The newer companies like Flight and Enya and Anuenue have really increased my expectations about what cheap and not so cheap imported ukuleles can sound and feel like, even right out of the box with no 3rd party setup. Kala and Ohana need to step up their game or fall behind.

Wow! This thread has exploded... Guess I'll try and add $0.02 to the discussion.

I've been a Kala apologist on these boards, but this discussion has got me thinking...

My first two ukes were cheap Kalas. They got me playing and made me want more!

I live near the Kala factory and stop by now and then (pre-covid obviously) to see what's what. The first time I went in, I was ready to "move up". This was two summers ago, and I stopped in their Petaluma (in NORCAL... Like we are our own country now) and tried a few things. I really liked the SSTU Travel Tenor, and it was within my $200 cap price range. I loved the slim body and special case, and it was the cheapest solid top I had found. "I'm getting it today!" I thought, and filled with the excitement that only a new uke can... Nevermind, you all know this feeling... no need to explain, right?

Next, I went to the front counter and said "I'll take it!" They told me I couldn't buy direct from the factory. "Well, two of my students bought theirs here... what's the deal?" "Oh, they probably took the factory tour... you CAN purchase after taking the tour" A loophole, I thought. "Great... when does the next tour start!" I gushed... "Two weeks from Tuesday" they replied.

What a buzz kill... So I asked who the local dealers were and then I went there... Great Decision.

My local 'Music Center' was just starting to feature Kalas and were anxious to get selling them (They are mostly a piano store...). He ordered mine for me and charged me 5% over cost... He even showed me HIS rate sheet to prove it! I got this "thin but pregnant" Kala for almost $75 less than list, about $180 (no pickup) tax included.

Really... 5% over cost? This must be a tough business to be in.

However: When I told the owner of this local store about how Kala DID sell straight out of the factory... after taking the tour... he went ballistic! I thought he was going to kick me out of the store! "HOW CAN KAKA UNDERCUT THEIR DEALERS THIS WAY!!! and so on, with a few curses thrown in for good measure...(In the end, he gave me a free tuner for telling him this and listening to his rant... He also liked that I was a teacher!)

Well, 9 months go by, and my round bellied Kala Travel failed to deliver another uke on it's own, so I decided it was time for an upgrade. That old feeling began to build again! I went back to the Kala showroom and started trying things... They have a room with everything they make in it (No Elites though) and you can just go in and play as long as you like. I tried everything Tenor in the $300-600 range... and didn't really like any of them. To be fair, MOST of them sounded WAY better than my SSTU, but none of them wowed me and several had setup issues... Hmmmmm... It was like playing the same uke over and over again, except that the woods were different. Very nice looking, but... Never a wow in an hour and a half of strumming maybe 20 different ukes.

Then I chanced upon a used Pono tenor, and I haven't looked for another uke for the last 9 months... the radius fret board is just the thing for me. My playing instantly sounded 5X better. SOLD!

One last thing: Right about the same time I bought my Kala, my buddy bought the Ohana Travel uke. It was $100 more, but so much nicer. Plays better, nicer case, heavier build, great sound. It WAS out of my price range at the time, but it did open my eyes to Ohana. (The defective Ohana uke bass I bought and returned tempered my feeling a bit though... although the dealer I bought it from did take it back... (Obviously, the Ohana quality control department was asleap and the dealer didn't even look as it much less attempt any set up!) I'm hot and cold on Ohanas since then...

OK- sorry, one more last thing: Here in the age of BLM, many names are getting controversial: My wife will no longer allow me to play "Are you from Dixie?", and even "Dixie Flyer" (which is totally tongue in cheek and trashes New Orleans and the South in general) is suspect around my house.

That said: I'm worried about what might happen if a REBEL ukulele shows up in the mail... Is this name offensive now? I'm wondering...

Bill

I still regard Kala as a decent brand and recommend some of their models from time to time but as I said in the beginning of this thread, I think many brands now make better ukes at the same price points they compete the most, namely brands like Flight, Kai, Snail, even Ohana I'd say. That plus their iffy business practices due to them getting really big plus the fact that they are still the ubiquitous ukulele brand... well, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Fun fact: Kala in Finnish means fish. I'd certainly say their business practices are a bit fishy. :D

That said: I'm worried about what might happen if a REBEL ukulele shows up in the mail... Is this name offensive now? I'm wondering...
No. And it’s a shame that you ended your relevant post this way. You’re either trying to bait people here or you think we have insight into how your marriage works. Both options are off topic and, frankly, weird.

Top Bottom