Mims Ukes

For me, the advantage of Kala was that I could go to my local music shop and try them before I buy. My first uke was a laminate Kala long neck soprano and it was great. But I didn't see the appeal of paying a premium for fancy laminate models and the solid ones didn't do anything for me. I really liked the travel models too. But if I had to order online, I'd get a different brand. Now I'm seeing retailers stock Flight and Enya, so good to see some decent entry level ukes locally.

Direct sales is fine, but if you're going to do direct sales and retail, it's a balancing act to not aggressively compete with your own retailer distribution network. Kala doesn't seem to concern itself with that. Watching Andrew Kitakis ask them about it on the Ukulele Review Podcast was painful. Retail might still work for them outside of the US due to shipping costs.

Lately, some of Kalas new models look kind of bottom of the market, without the discount (like the rebranded Aklot Bamboo).

Direct sales is fine, but if you're going to do direct sales and retail, it's a balancing act to not aggressively compete with your own retailer distribution network. Kala doesn't seem to concern itself with that. Watching Andrew Kitakis ask them about it on the Ukulele Review Podcast was painful. Retail might still work for them outside of the US due to shipping costs.

Agree, that podcast really turned me off on the brand. Esp after they got on Andrew a bit for going directly to China for Mauloas. Well, it's a two-way street, right? Business is business? Doesn't seem like all of their direct prices are below street/dealer prices, but still...

Personally, if a company's marketing plan is to start to devalue their own product to drive sales, it makes me wonder why I want something they themselves do not think is worth the price they were asking. Then I start to wonder just how little it really is worth. That's the way my mind works.

They will rely on their customers to give exposure according to the points system. If you post on social media you get points. If you refer a friend you get points. It is just all too much. There are some rising stars in the ukulele world I am glad to give exposure to!

Sounds like that is a marketing plan these days. I heard that MF and GC are doing that. It feels to me like they are pulling off a little slickery to con their customers into being their sales people. I don't buy enough stuff to make it worth it to me

Doesn't seem like all of their direct prices are below street/dealer prices, but still...

They aren't on the surface. But I suppose while I am in it... I might as well lay it out. This is the rub...

1- The Clearance they do is BRUTAL. They discontinue models willy nilly after a dealer pays full price for them and suddenly they are valued on the market sometimes less than what a dealer buys it for. This has bit me in the booty so many times over the years it is surprising I have held on so long.

2- Some cases being sold for $1 more than I bought them for. I literally can not match that price. So if yall want a nice Soprano case, go to the clearance section. Just buy a few so your shipping is free.

3- Then there are the behind the scenes discounts... so I suppose this is free advertisement for their e-mail list. Join their email list and it is 15% off plus free shipping over $99. I knew about this a LONG time ago and made a stink, but they explained that even with the discounts most things only then equal dealer price. Fair... and I have a loyal customer base, so I went along with that one. It is stinky, but whatever on that one.

4- Then they started to have their own direct sales Amazon Shop as well as Walmart. And 2 day prime is so tempting in todays world of instant gratification.

5- And this is what finally broke the Mim. Because I stood up for them even with the Walmart thing. Because it is a dog eat dog world out there. And I get it... if people want a uke choice on Walmart, one might as well be your company. But...Then, now they have a Kala points system. Refer a friend, you and friend get 20% off, tag on social media you get points for more discounts from Kala direct, buy that uke on Kala direct... more points. NONE of this includes their dealers and encourages more and more direct sales. So that was my tipping point.

Honestly, I was not going to raise too much of a stink. But felt like I needed to say something on social media so I did not have to field emails of "Mim, can you order this Kala in" "I no longer offer Kala." "Why?" "Well...." And I wanted to mention what I would be replacing it with. I rewrote it a few times to try to keep my snark at a minimum.

But basically liquidating is easier to do in one swoop. When I let it fizzle out like I did Baritones it leads to many many many e-mails. But now I am like... you know... nothing I am saying is un-true and not something you would not already know if you just visit their site of sign up for their email list.

So at the end of the day... this is sort of an advertisement. If yall want a Kala, make sure you sign up for their e-mail list. Because there are amazing discounts to be had. Pair that discount with a Clearance item, and bing bang boom... you got ya a deal. And make sure you save the extra money to pay a tech to set it up for you... (ok, that last part was snarky, but it is what it is.)

What's the difference between the Cheesecake and Creme Brulee models?

Cheesecake is spruce mahogany, Creme Brulee is Mango

All solid of course.

Then "Double" is standard size, and regular is a thin body. But I always note when it is thin body so no one gets confused.

Sounds like that is a marketing plan these days. I heard that MF and GC are doing that. It feels to me like they are pulling off a little slickery to con their customers into being their sales people. I don't buy enough stuff to make it worth it to me

Honestly, I should do a little of that, but I am a one-person operation without a desire to get bigger and I am busy as it is with word of mouth. Tag @mimsukes in a post and get.... a free setup on your next purchase valued at 1 MILLION DOLLARS. (Don't tell everyone I do that anyway... and that I made up 1 Million. But it goes to show, marketing can be a bit of a grey area and I am bad at it because I am a black and white kind of gal.). Haha

Agree, that podcast really turned me off on the brand. Esp after they got on Andrew a bit for going directly to China for Mauloas. Well, it's a two-way street, right? Business is business? Doesn't seem like all of their direct prices are below street/dealer prices, but still...

Oh myyyyyyyy..... I need to hear this episode of which you speak.

I love Andrew. Good guy. You can mess with me, but don't mess with my friends.

Yes indeed! I'm absolutely in love with it. I can't imagine a more perfect uke, honestly. The tone is wonderful, the woodworking beautiful, and the playability is perfect for me.

Aw man, everytime you say something about your Rebel, I start to think that's the one that got away.

Which Rebel do you have?

The Rebel Double Cheese, spruce and mahogany tenor. The one thing that surprised me when I first received it was how feather light it is. :eek:

Concerning Kala, I remember some new folks inquiring on here recently about Kala, and their direct sale. There was some encouragement to buy direct and save money. I mentioned the fact that these ukes would not necessarily come with good setups, and could be a big negative for people learning to play. I wouldn't promote buying direct from these companies for that very reason, and it kind of appalled me that others would encourage new players to do that. An uncomfortable playing uke is not worth saving the money. A well set-up uke is a joy to play, which is why it's worth it to buy the instrument from a good specialty shop. My Kala maple tenor was set up by HMS, and plays as good as anything I own. But I don't like Kala going to direct sales. It obviously undermines the dealers who carry their stock.

When I started out and wanted to get a "good" uke I was all impressed by marketing specs and glossy online pictures and what I wanted was the Kala Acacia with slothead. Well when I finally got to play a few of them in stores I found them less than mediocre. Actually the only Kala I ever liked was a Koa Elite and that was priced the same range as Hawaiian ukes in the store which I liked better.

Do you love your The Rebel? I love them! So light and lovely and lilting and crisp and juicy and warm and rich! And that multi-wood inlay.

Mim, do you know what strings would be close to the Rebel's sound? I contacted Rebel on line, and they said they are proprietary strings, they market them in their country but don't sell them in other countries. Not sure how true or accurate that is, but I want a string set as close as possible in sound and feel for when I have to restring it.

Thanks so much for your chimes in, Mim. This explains pretty much everything.
My first serious uke (with pickup) was a Kala from Mim. I didn't know a KALA from a Martin from a Luna, I was as green as they come.
Mim picked it our for me, and did an excellent job. My daughter is learning to play on it now, and she's crazy about it. I got my wife a used UBass from UU, back before other companies came out with them. It has some issues, but it's her go to bass.
I would never buy another Kala product, they've left a stain on the Ukulele World, although I still have to give them praises for giving ukuleles to kids' programs. Ohana and Luna (yech) have helped out a lot with this too, I think TBUS owns over 100 teaching ukes from Kala, Ohana, and Luna.
As far as setup, Mim is ACCURATE. And fast, I've watched her, and marveled at this bit of artistry she puts out for her customers, and prospective customers.
I will assure you all of this. I swear on any book you wish, I will never, ever buy an ukulele off Amazon, or Walmart. Excuse my snark, but I think doing this is nearly a travesty.

Oh Ohana... how I love thee... let me count the ways...

-Great Value for price
-True to wood tone
-Customer care
-Good to dealers
-GREAT people!

I have two Ohana ukes I got from Mim, and one I bought from another member, who got it from Mim.

Great value for the price, and some of the best customer service anywhere.

Plus, the phone calls are super fun!

-Kurt​

Mim, do you know what strings would be close to the Rebel's sound? I contacted Rebel on line, and they said they are proprietary strings, they market them in their country but don't sell them in other countries. Not sure how true or accurate that is, but I want a string set as close as possible in sound and feel for when I have to restring it.

If it is soprano of concert try the Martin Fluorocarbons. If it is a tenor, worth clear lights.

Top Bottom